Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

clarus or wizzy?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tony-moore, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Hey Guys,

I've been wanting to upgrade from my G-K 150 combo and have narrowed it down to 2 rigs:

1)acoustic image clarus head with a euphonic audio wizzy passive cab - this rig allows me to add another 4 ohm cab if needed later

2) euphonic audio wizzy combo - this rig appears to have more flexible eq

I'm a doubler and usually play a Shen with a Fishman Full Circle and a Guild RI Starfire into (now) a D-Tar Solstice. Most of my gigs go from singer-songwriter type support to Americana-Roots-Folk-Jazz ensembles.

My big question is in regards to the EQ of the Clarus. Can anyone familiar tell me how it is voiced? Any common comparisons?

Any other input?

Thanks!

Tony

2. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Tony,
    I play the same styles as you and use the same pickup and Solstice. I also use a Hofner that is similar to the Guild. I use my Clarus II, but usually just run the Solstice into the effects return and bypass the preamp because I love the way the Solstice sounds. You might not need as much EQ once you get away from the GK. I also have that same amp. Both amps combos you are considering will sound better IMO.

I had the original iAMP 350 and two VL-208s. I sold them because they weren't very efficient and I had trouble keeping up with a two horn jazz band with the iAmp plus one of the 208s.

I use a Bergantino HT112 and add a EX112 if needed with my Clarus. The AI EQ if pretty flat and sounds good with the Full Circle plugged straight in. I didn't find the EQ options on the iAmp to be very useful, but I'm probably in the minority with that opinion.

A two channel Clarus (like mine) would be a good alternative if you wanted to blend your Dyn-B and Full Circle, but didn't want to mess with the Solstice (or the PRE-A if you have it). That's what I do with my Full Circle/Dyn-B combo.

The Clarus is good at sweeping out some of the boominess of the Dyn-B and it is super lightweight. I'm not really sure how to say how it's voiced, but it is pretty powerful and simple.

3. Thanks John!

I also have a Dyn-B but just haven't had enough of a chance to get really comfortable with it. Do you mind sharing where you have your's placed?

I used to play a Hofner Club Bass before getting the Guild. These basses are a great alternative and compliment urb really well I think...

I'm going to try the Wizzy combo first and see how I like it. I like that you can bybass the eq with the iAmp. We'll see :)

Tony

4. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    My Dyn-B is a couple of inches south of the bridge in the center. I'm not really comfortable with it either. I got it working ok by itslef the other night because I had a cord failure in my 1/4inch cord and couldn't use the full circle. I have to roll all the mids off on my Solstice and boost the bass and treblle slightly. Mess with the phase switch on it and see which setting works best.

I love my Hofner Club, but the intonnation is out of wack right now on the E string. I've played it on several albums. I love it on my power pop and funk/groove gigs. Some super fat, clear low end.

I think the Whizzy combo will sound good. I like the 2 channel option with the Clarus. I just didn't keep my iAmp 350/VL 208 gear because the power was lacking compared to the weight. The Whizzy combo is nice and light. I kind of wish I kept one of the two VL208. I bet someone has them here on talkbass, if they bought them from Bass Emporium.

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Hey Tony,

It took me a long time to get completely comfortable with mine before I came to the conclusion that it is not as much about placement about select parametric eq.

If you can get a parametric to try, start with a cut somewhere around 150-180 Hz and I promise you will find it much easier to get a great sound. I use a cheap Behringer Ultra Q that can be had for < $99.

Another thing to remember is that the Dyn B will always sound best through a full range PA with LOTS of headroom. It is workable through some high quality bass amps (I used to do it with an Acoustic Image), but it is just better full range. I use 1-2 Schertler Pubs for this, or if the house system is good I use just it. The only situation that seems truly unworkable for me with it is when the house PA is a cheap little 200 watt Fender, Kustom, or other pieces of cheap equipment.

I just absolutely love mine. I used to mount it similar to John, but I mount it on my Solano Klotz very near the soundpost and it sound great.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think that either would be a good bet. You might also want to consider the iAMP 500 Combo, which is the 500 head with the Wizzy. The 500 is stable to 2 ohm, so you could drive another 4 ohm Wizzy, if you desired. I love the Wizzy, and while one is more than adequate for upright, two gets amazing loud (if you double and need more volume).

Oh, and masmasbasso, I did buy one or two VL-110's from John, but none of my VL-208's came from Bass Emporium. ;)

7. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio &amp; Fishman
    Tom, you were the one I had in mind when I mentioned that, but I hope they went to another good home.