1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Class D and Neo cabs are the future!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Axtman, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I really think that Class D amps and Neodymium cabinets are the wave of the future. Catch the wave! (Sorry I could not resist.)

I just see more manufacturers moving that way for shipping costs and manufacturing.

The two-ton Tessies will be a think of the past.

BTW, I love tube amps but don't want to schlep them back and forth to gigs!

2. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Class D Amps and Neo cabs are so right now.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Next year, they will be SOOO 2010.

4. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    When H*ll freezes over and the sun comes up in the West will what got us to this point in time ever become obsolete :p

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    there's a place for everything. for some, they will be the wave of the future. for others, nothing else will do but the big iron and big cabs with big fat magnets. me, i straddle the fence, but i'm finding it harder and harder to go without my ampegs.

6. Says you.

My amp is a tube monster built in the early 80's. The cab I'm going to start using soon is a monster built in the late 60's or early 70's.

Just because you don't want to schlep tube amps back and forth to gigs doesn't mean it's any big deal for a lot of us.

7. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    yea, after a bit of reading, you'll see most guys on here don't forget their panties when thinking about gear. light heads, small cabs, lightweight basses, super thin necks, etc, etc...no end! :bag:

(no flaming intended, just pickin in good fun)

8. Not sure I even understand the meaning of that post. Different local slang, I guess.

9. phmike

phmike

Oct 25, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I ain't far from joining the old Geezer's club and love the new light weight stuff. Heck - if I can just tote my bass and preamp to the gig and use the PA I'm a happy camper.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I like some neo loaded cabs, but have yet to get MY tone from a class D amp.

11. NineSpine

NineSpine

Jun 19, 2007
    I think that people who deny that tubes will pretty much go away one day need to take a look at the home audio market and it's lack of tubes, or the recording gear market and it's lack of tape. There's always a strong sentiment that things will never change... yet they always do, and a handful of regressives who refuse to change hardly counts as something still being a standard, but that WILL be the situation one day.

12. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    As great as the new micro-super-light stuff sounds, nothing....I mean NOTHING will beat an SVT and an 8x10.

Don't get me wrong, I have an 5-lb 500 watt amp and Neo speakers. But I also have tubes.

I also like fat, baseball bat necks and basses that weigh at least 9.5 lbs. Nothing feels better than strapping a log to your body.

13. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    Class D + Neo will be how I role from now on.

14. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    When I was 25, I could have given a flying rip about the difference between a 90 lb cab and a 65 lb cab. Even now at 50, I am not that excited about a 10 lb amp over a 20 lb amp. I'm glad to see the lighter cabs, though.

15. I'm 23. I use a 45 pound tube amp (probably around 65 pounds in its head cab I made for it), and am moving to cabs that weigh over a hundred pounds.

When I'm 64, and have a bad back or whatever, there'll still be lightweight stuff for me to use.

I don't see many solid state or class D guitar heads, either.

16. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    +1 on every point. I have an svt and 810 but also have a micro head and neo cab. I also love heavier fender basses, hate the neck dive when using a light body and also hate the sound of light body basses.

17. I'm not fond of light basses either. I guess because so much of the cheap crap some people I know have used was light weight, light weight basses I associate with cheap crap, and so am instantly turned off by the feel of them. I like the feel of something solid.

18. For me, Class D and Neo cabs are all there is.

19. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    which, I recently learned, is apparently is how it works on Venus :D

20. Tube amps and heavy speakers will always have a market. It doesn't matter if they did come out with a 5lb amp and a 20 lb speaker cabinet that exactly duplicated the sound of an SVT with an 8x10 refrigerator hooked up to it.

Because people would still claim to hear the difference. There's a reason there's a market for $1000 audiophile speaker cables.

People love to feel special, they can hear a difference that you can't.

Randy