1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classic Reggae/Dub!!!

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by jpark369, Feb 28, 2008.

1. anybody, help me on my hunt for some classic reggae bass lines! these are all bumpin, fat reggae/dub basslines that are sure to get everybody movin!
    looking for:

sister nancy- bam bam
    Ini kamoze- here comes the hotstepper
    chaka demus & pilers- murder she wrote
    tenor saw- ring the alarm
    lee "scratch" perry & the upsetters- popcorn

help me rudeboys!

2. El Bajo

El Bajo

Apr 12, 2006
    UK
    Sublime!!!

3. c'mon rudeboys!!

4. DubHunter

DubHunter

Feb 15, 2008
    Columbia Gorge
  5. ill check it out, thanks.
    anybody out there rock these joints?? feel like finding em out for me? please!!

6. Holy crap!! Do you know the tabs to King Tubby's Augustus Pablo meets Rockers Uptown? I'm a beginner, but I'd love to be able to play that, and no I can't figure it out myself I am too new. Dub is one of the big reasons I decided on the bass- it's such a great showcase for that sound.

7. bump city

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I think the point is that in most Reggae (Dub) bass lines - the actual notes are fairly simple - usually root fifth!

But what gives them their character and distinctive feel is the rhythmic syncopation - which just cannot be shown by TAB...:meh:

So even if you found TAB it wouldn't help!

9. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    +1

right now I'm figuring out rat in my kitchen by UB-40(the whole album) not difficult to play at all, the notes at least, you just need to get your timing right, that's the hardest part with most of the reggea/dub styles...
    tabs are no help at all... but it's good training!

10. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    oo, definitely check out some family man (aston barrett). and mad professor.
    also, i find that a lot of..egh, 'afrofunk' music helps a lot. tony allen is my hero.

yeh, reggae and dub is all about tone and feel.

11. So does anyone have old school dub tab? Yes, I know it is about tone and feel, but I's still like see the tab.

12. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I did a transcription of "Baby I Love You So" and "King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown" for a comparative analysis but, sorry, no tab!

13. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    what did your analysis tell you? king tubby meets rockers uptown, cassava piece by augustus pablo, and baby I love you so are the same track , king tubby's is a great remix ,great song to figure out the main riff uses all the notes in the ab minor scale start at the high a flat go down from there but its not just the scale backwards,listen and youll get it ,first part of the chorus just play A#on the E, d#on the A,A#on the D, and d#on the G, then D#D#A#A#C#C# or D#A#D#A#C#C# or some variation the next part of the chorus is essentially the same pattern as the main verse, starting on C# on the g string , good luck

14. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    My paper included full transcriptions of both tracks ("Baby"/"King Tubby") and an analysis of various aspects of the music/artist/image etc. Analysis of various musical parameters as well as semiotics. I wrote the paper (approx. 40 pages in the end) for a graduate-level popular music analysis course. Lots of fun.

15. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    bam bam , and ring the alarm are the stalag 17 riddim by dave and ansell collins

play the c on the E string on the 8th fret twice then G on the a string 10th fret then A# on the d string 8th fret , repeat those to notes and the last note is the a# 6th fret E string

so its CC ga#ga#A# cant write tab hope it helped

16. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    thats awesome, was it the same? did you do cassava piece as well? king tubbys is like a blend of the two ,the effects give me goose bumps,

17. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Didn't check out "Cassava Piece". The idea was to compare the A and B sides of the single. It was interesting to see how Tubby was able to achieve such a different effect "no pun intended" with such relatively simple means. Seeing where he'd cut certain instruments or where he'd add stabs of reverb-drenched guitar. Also, the call-and-response between certain tracks that resulted from certain decisions Tubby made mix-wise was interesting to note. "King Tubby Meets..." really is a masterpiece of dub mixing. I have another recording that uses the same backing track as "Baby I Love You So" but I don't think it's called "Cassava Piece" (I could be wrong though) kicking around on 10". I'll have to dig it out and see...

18. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    well check out cassava piece by augustus pablo, its the original riddim the melodica is great you can hear the melodica parts on king tubbys i actually listen to that one and like it the most , ive heard a ton of stuff on that riddim but those 3 stand out

19. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    It's funny, I actually went out and bought a melodica to help with the transcription of the melodica part. At first I was convinced that a lot of the line was single notes. Then I heard some diads and then I realised that most of the chords were triads or seventh chords.

20. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA