1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Claypool Wah Effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nathan, Mar 4, 2008.

1. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    Does anybody know what effect pedal or pedals Les Claypool uses to get his Wah-ish sound like he has on "Buzzards of Greenhill" or songs like that?

I'm not saying I'm trying to sound exactly like Les--that's impossible. I do really like his sound though and it would be pretty cool if I could fool around with something similar to that. Just for kicks does anybody have a picture of his pedalboard or anything?

I just saw him a couple days ago. He blew me away. I saw him once before but he had a broken pinky. That show was pretty disappointing. This one far exceeded all of my expectations though.

Thanks!

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    His pedalboard is in the "Pedalboards of the Stars" thread. There's a nice collection of photos throughout the thread of his rig - just use "Search This Thread" while you're in there. ;)

3. i think he has lots of odd efx... for buzzards it could be a Mu tron in combo with some thing else... but you never know when it comes to Les

4. Total guess, but I think he's kinda partial to the wah (or envelope filter) in his Korg AX3000B lately.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Trem bar?

6. That would be the one. I used to have the 300b and was able to cop most of his envelope sounds by pushing the input gain on the unit to simulate his high output EMG pickups. It takes a little dialing in but its not too hard to figure out if you mess with the auto wah parameters. For some of his envelopes he pushes the auto wah with the onboard distortions to get a more exaggerated response.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, I heard it was the Korg AX3000B.

8. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    i thought the Didjeridu sound came from the sax player

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.