1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clean a Dirty Maple Fretboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Greetings, esteemed builders/fixers/and the like!

I have this OLP Stingray copy, and I want to get a lot of ugly, grey/dirt off the fingerboard. It's not lacquered, seems to be more or less raw wood, and I need to lift it up out of the grain. Is this do-able?

Thanks for your time...

2. It might not be all dirt. Raw maple reacts with either light, or atmosphere, (not sure which, probably both), and turns grey over time.

Naphtha, (lighter fluid) is a strong solvent that won't damage nitro or polyurethane if used as a cleaner on a rag, and not saturated or exposed to the finish for an extended period of time.

Oxalic acid is used to bleach wood, but it might not restore the original natural maple hue, (which you might restore with stain). There are other methods to bleach wood.

Post some photos.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Count Bassie likes this.
  3. Frederiek

Frederiek

Aug 8, 2016
    Netherlands
    A picture would help :)

Count Bassie likes this.
  4. Posted late last night, pic tonight, thanks guys.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021