Clicking noises

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stickytape706, Jan 24, 2009.

1. stickytape706

stickytape706

Aug 4, 2007
    The other day I went out and picked me up a Ibanez sr505. I have been playing with it the last couple of days and noticed on the some of the strings but mainly the lowest when I pick them sometimes I am getting this weird Fieldy clicking noise. Do I just need to tune it higher?

2. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    Do you hear it over the amp or just on the bass?

3. stickytape706

stickytape706

Aug 4, 2007
    Over the amp only because when I practcie I have headphones on.

4. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    What kind of strings are you using? I wonder if you have a string with a broken core or something. Have you made any recent modifications to the bass? Have you tried a different set of headphones?

5. stickytape706

stickytape706

Aug 4, 2007
    Elixir, the were put on the day I got the bass which was tuesday. No mods at all and no I have not tried a diffrent set of headphones since I beleive the headphones I use have no defects in them at all.

6. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    The only reason I suggested different headphones was to rule out a blown driver or something since you say this is a new behavior that started happening over the last couple of days.

The only other things I can think of would be a loose pickup mount or a solder joint that went bad.

But now that I really think about it, maybe it's just that your 9v battery powering the active electronics is going dead. Replace it and see if that helps.

7. stickytape706

stickytape706

Aug 4, 2007
    ahhh forgot about that... I will try that a little bit later and let ya know. Thnx for the help...

8. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    No problem and if the battery was the cause - don't forget to unplug your instrument cable from an active bass when it's not in use because the presence of a cable in the jack is what turns on the EQ and keeps it on which will drain your battery much more quickly. No offense intended if you already know that but many people don't.

All my gear is passive which is why I didn't think of the battery sooner. :)

9. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    I have SR505 haven't had that problem but as previously posted try a new battery. Try a different cable also. Check grounding by taking your index finger and taping on various parts of the bass such as the pickup, knobs, and bridge.

10. The B string is probably hitting the neck pickup. Try lowering it a bit.

11. stickytape706

stickytape706

Aug 4, 2007
    actually what it is, when I hold a fret down the string hits the fret and makes a loud clicking noise. I learned on a really cheap bass and never had that problem. Am I just fretting to hard or is their a way to fix that? If I play something slow its kool but anything fast and all you start hearing is clicks...

12. In that case you just have to work around it. Obviously there is no way to prevent the string from hitting the frets. Try less treble and more bass on your EQ. EDIT: You mean when you pluck. Raise the action of the B string, a lot.

13. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

Mar 27, 2008
    I've noticed a click just when fretting a note when using flatwound strings. I think they are high tension flats.

14. stickytape706

stickytape706

Aug 4, 2007
    ok thnx

15. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    May need a neck adjustment. Try backing off the truss rod about 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

16. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    The symptoms in this thread changed quite a bit!

You mentioned initially that the clicking was a new thing that you could hear through an amp and now you're saying you're getting fretting noises?

What?!?

17. Would you say it's a clicking, or more of a clanking?

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021