clip on tuners

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by funkythumb, Nov 10, 2011.

1. funkythumb

funkythumb

Aug 26, 2005
    Atlanta
    My Meisel COM-90 clip on tuner crapped out on me after one year. Can you guys recommend a good quality, clip-on tuner for upright where the digital display can be turned upward to be visible from standing position?
    thanks

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I'm currently auditioning a Solutions SD-23 clip-on tuner from Long & McQuade. It has a really strong clip, it seems to have a more accurate idea of 'tuned' than the Intelli IMT-500 and it shows different colours for flat, sharp and tuned. The colours make it so you don't have to READ the darn thing up on the peg-box, you can just go for the green! I like it very well so far. ;)

3. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    The Snark SN-2 works much better for me than the Meisel COM-90.

Look here

4. funkythumb

funkythumb

Aug 26, 2005
    Atlanta
    Good to hear. I ended up getting the SnarK SN-1 $19 which does not have the mic. It's a quick, cheap solution for now.
    I don't need the mic so hopefully it'll provide the same quality as the the Snark SN-2. Any experience with that model?

Thanks Jake. Would like to hear your feedback once you're done. I need something accurate and sturdy that won't break after one year like the Meisel which I treated very well.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    There was considerable discussion here about the annoyances and drawbacks of "color-change" tuners. Specifically, they seem to change color and indicate that the note is "in-tune" when it is actually quite substantially sharp or flat. It also seemed that most, if not all, such tuners employ the same chip. I can't speak specifically to the performance of the Solutions tuner. Perhaps it could be checked against another tuner to see if it exhibits the same problem.

On the other hand, the Snarks each have a central green gradation with a dot above it that's easy to spot.

6. funkythumb

funkythumb

Aug 26, 2005
    Atlanta
    What up Les? I'm still diggin' and lovin' my Upton ply.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

The Planet Waves NS beats anything I tried before. It's smaller, tracks better and faster and is accurate whatever I tune to.
    I'm not sure you can find a good spot to clip it on the upright though.

8. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    I use one of the Snark SN-5 clip on chromatic tuners. They advertise it for use with "Guitar, Bass and Violin". Stupid cheap at ten bucks on Amazon!!! Works great- but it doesn't like the low E much...it will do it, but it's just a little fussy. I find that if I start the note and then abruptly stop it the tuner will read the note after about a half second or so- everthing else is instantaneous.

I've experimented with clipping it to the bridge and the scroll cheek- same performance either spot- easier to see on the bridge and I don't notice any muting worth mentioning.

I was so pleased with it that I just ordered another one to use with my mandolin!

Ten dollah- make me hollah! :hyper:

Joe

9. jdepriest

jdepriest

Sep 20, 2005
    Waynesburg, Pa
    I use the Snark chromatic tuner. It took some time to find the sweet spot to clip on where it was acurate and visible while playing but after that I love it. One negative, it sucks batteries. Make sure you turn it off when your not playing.

10. dtosky

dtosky

Jan 4, 2010
    I use a Peterson clip-on strobe for tuning in orchestra. It is extremely accurate and I highly recommend it. No problems picking up any pitch within the range of the bass. The display has a very short learning curve (like perhaps a couple of minutes) if you have not used a strobe before and since it is so precise it takes a little while to become accustomed to using the correct bow speed/pressure to not affect the pitch of the open string.

Only downside is that it is a little pricier than most of the competition.

http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-StroboClip-Clip-Strobe-Tuner/dp/B003WZ6VVM

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    We've been down this road in an earlier thread. You might find this interesting, followed by this.

After extensive experience with the Peterson Stroboclip, I sold it and bought the Snark SN-2.

I suggest that anyone interested in this topic start at the top, here.

12. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Never tried one, as I've become accustomed to having the absolute accuracy and "all quiet" capability of probably the most popular "first pedal", a stomp box tuner.

Although dtosky's seems to know what he's doing, they might have come a long way since the days of figetting with them all night..it's annoying to other players be it guitarist or low ender that keeps tuning all night.

Sorry, a bit off topic..

13. I've used pretty much every clip on tuner known to man or beast, and the Snark kills them all. However, it can sometimes be a bit dodgy on low E when clipped to the pegbox. (No issues when clipped to the bridge.)

On the other hand, if you have a pickup on your bass, this thing is the 100% answer. Accurate, solid on all strings, foolproof:

Amazon.com: Korg Pitchjack - Black Compact Plug-in Guitar Tuner: Musical Instruments

Here it is, about lifesize:

41R5EEaBR%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

14. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

I've tried the GoGo TT-1 tuner and didn't like it. It does a bad job of pickup up the E string and sometimes even the A string as well. I tried clipping it in a lot of different places but no luck. I'm returning it and giving the Snark SN-5 a try.

15. funkythumb

funkythumb

Aug 26, 2005
    Atlanta
    Just got my Snark SN-1 from Sweetwater. $19. Works great on upright. Clipped to bridge, no issues with E. I only keep it on for tuning then off it goes. Hopefully this one will last longer than the Meisel.

16. dtosky

dtosky

Jan 4, 2010
    Yes you are right- and to clarify, I use this only during designated group tuning to check my open strings. Having tried a friend's snark as well I would imagine that if I were in a situation that necessitated the ability to quickly adjust pitch then I would perhaps favor it over the peterson. I realize that my perspective is different as an orchestral player (a setting in which even seeing any clip-on is uncommon.) As a player who does not shy away from open strings for many styles of music, I just happen to value what I perceive as the increased sensitivity of the strobe .

17. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    I own and use a Peterson StroboClip. I have used the Snark and am planning on buying one, although I do prefer the Peterson.

18. JGAN

JGAN

Nov 21, 2011
  19. LyleRyan

LyleRyan

Jun 20, 2006
    Berkeley, CA
    I have several models of the Snark, and they are good, especially for the price.

But I have one Bass that all the Snarks are slow to acquire the E-string on. Perhaps because it's strung with Innovation SilverSlaps.

My Peterson StroboClip acquires the E-string on this Bass quite easily. For me the StroboClip is clearly a better tuner, not comparing price.

Incidentally, Peterson is having a $10-off and free shipping sale. Same price as Amazon, but $10 off. I'm ordering another one.
    Code = "Nov_2011"

...Lyle

20. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

If you have issues picking up the low E (or A) with a clip on, try clipping it to the fingerboard. Works great for me with a Snark SN-5.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021