1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Sadowsky!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Dec 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Sadowsky Amplification question: Does anyone here recall which Bergantino series the Sadowsky 410 was based on? I remember it was its own animal, but spawned from the work Bergantino had been doing up to that point.

2. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    I believe it was the HS series of Berg. Awesome cabs!

kevk likes this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    In order to alleviate a good amount of bass face, may I suggest an overstuffed cushion to sit on, or looser fitting shoes?

ElMon likes this.
  4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Very nice, Jon!

jondiener likes this.
  5. There’s no need to oil a maple fingerboard as it already has a finish applied to it.

jondiener likes this.
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I suppose it could be a well worn maple fretboard, with little finish left...?

7. Mark Ambler

Mark Ambler

Nov 18, 2017
    London, UK.
    So, what is the best way to care for a Sadowsky maple fingerboard?

8. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    With any maple fingerboard I treat it the same way I do the back of the neck. Clean it when I'm cleaning the bass and thats about it. It will inevitably start to show wear over the years as the finish wears off. Thats the whole reason that Leo Fender started using rosewood in the first place, he felt that the worn in maple looked bad on TV. Now that "ugly" wear is seen as a badge of honor.

Vic, phillipkregg, Nomogram and 3 others like this.
  9. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    That’s some interesting trivia didn’t know that!

I love a good worn maple board personally.

kobass, Vic and Fuzzbass like this.
  10. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I thought the use of rosewood had more to do with installing truss rods. Went from the solid neck with skunk strip rosewood to installing from the front and overlaying with rosewood fretboard. Maybe both?

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    nope, they didn't discontinue maple when they started working with rosewood. besides, clearly, they can shave maple just like they can shave rosewood, so construction can be the same with maple if they so desire. non-issue.

12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    nah, even when you wear the finish off the surface, the wood itself is still sealed/protected by the part of the finish that's absorbed into the wood fiber. just with the fiber exposed, it traps dirt more, but it's still sealed/protected. just clean it off if you so desire. no need for additional treatments/oils.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  13. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    'Fraid I agree with Leo. I really don't like the look of worn, patchy and dirty maple fretboards.

14. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    NO...only use our Everyday Polish on maple boards.

15. Mark Ambler

Mark Ambler

Nov 18, 2017
    London, UK.
    Thanks. So far I have been unable to find any stockists in the U.K. Perhaps GuitarGuitar could be encouraged to stock Sadowsky cleaning products.

16. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Well, encourage them!
    Try Thomann!

Midak, PeterH, TolerancEJ and 2 others like this.
  17. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Hey Vic. I was thinking it had to do with the solid neck/fretboard and going into the back to install the truss rod and then install the rosewood 'skunk strip' to close it up. Then instead changing the process and installing from the front and using rosewood to cover the front truss rod installation. Or somebody led me astray on one of them forums:)

18. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    ABC.

19. I prefer 'dirty' dark boards, like a vintage rosewood.
    Luckily for me, ebony is readily available these days (not the 100% black stuff, that's naughty) which is even dirtier.

I've owned basses for 50 years and that F-One just melted into my boards like nothing else.
    I have a half-empty Dunlop bottle here now.
    Forget the fruit juice rubbish, just this from now on (and luckily I can get it in Australia very easily, not like most stuff).

chris_b likes this.
  20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, all I know is, a RW board means you can't have a one-piece neck, whereas with maple, you can clearly go either way. Since they've always offered both, I don't think a desire to change neck construction was the reason for the RW board. That's all I'm saying.

FWIW.