Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    I like the idea of stiffer strings. Maybe I'll actually try these LoRiders

anton72 and dwellers like this.
  2. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    On my Cali TM-5s I've used Dunlop Super Brights, the Marcus Miller set, for the past couple years. Lately I've experimented with Fodera's SS rounds. They're pricey, but they last longer and have a bit beefier personality.

3. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    DR Hi Beams for me and before that DR DDT

both awesome

Pantofolaio79 likes this.
  4. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    A quick jam (sort of) with Jordan Rudess. I'm not a metal player, but that Sandberg versatility helps

mcnach, TB24 and GregC like this.
  5. Taustin Powers

Taustin Powers Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Berlin, Germany
    I finally plugged in my new Nighthawk Plus today, and I wonder if it has an issue. The bridge pickup gives a nasty hissy noise when in single coil mode. Please take a listen at this clip and tell me if this is normal. (Played through Peavey Microbass, recorded with my phone's voice recorder.)

I start recording with only the neck pickup in humbucker mode, EQ flat.
    - Play short bass line
    - roll blend knob back to bridge pickup
    - play short bass line
    - switch from humbucker to single coil
    - play short bass line
    - boos treble a little (not all the way)
    - play short bass line

As you can hear, the hissing increases with every step to a point where I find it unbearable. What's going on here?

6. direktor

direktor Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Single coil pickups are antennas that pick up RF noise from nearby fluorescent lights, other electrical or electronics.

You boosted the highs a ton, which boosts the noise.

You could find the worst offender in the room you’re playing in (one particular light or whatever and unplug) it, or replace it with a humbucking “single coil”.

edit: I didn’t catch it was a humbucker in single coil mode. In a different location or environment single coil mode will be less noisy, but never completely silent. Use it in humbucker mode. That’s why it exists, to buck hum.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  7. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    That sounds VERY wrong to me. My TM4 is dead silent no matter what position the pickups are in. :(

8. Taustin Powers

Oct 7, 2002
    Berlin, Germany
    I really did not boost the "highs a ton". Just dialled them up about 50%. But even with flat EQ it is loud enough to where I would not want to use it.

I emailed Sandberg directly about it to see what's up. If this can't be fixed, I might return the bass. I tried the amp in a different room, no difference.

9. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    That could be a lot of things, and unfortunately is a downside of single coil.
    Are you sitting near your computer? My computer always provides me with RFI, whether I want it or not.

10. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    If you dialed them 50% up from the center detent, that’s a fair amount of high boost.
    Sounds like single coil hum to me that’s being amplified
    In single coil mode, you’re probably picking up some interference from inside your house
    By all means look into it, but there’s a possibility that it is what it is.
    Did you try running passive mode to see a difference?

11. Taustin Powers

Oct 7, 2002
    Berlin, Germany
    Only the bridge pickup does this. Fairly quietly in humbucking mode and very loudly in single coil mode. The neck pickup is perfectly quiet in either setting.

Shouldn’t the neck pickup pick up the same interference, if that’s what it is?

12. harleyboy

harleyboy

Jan 8, 2007
    Man that is an AWESOME looking bass! Want to get my hands on one of these someday!!

Fernando Costa likes this.
  13. Vankeays

Vankeays

Oct 11, 2018
    Eyup Sandbergers !!
    can I join in??
    Got this VM4 a month ago, absolute joy to hold and play, it’s a 2011 according to serial no
    D220A43F-7D5B-402A-A610-EA601797D3C3.jpeg B8871022-57DA-41B8-B5D9-AAE60489AD6D.jpeg 96F65AFF-F4CA-498E-839D-ACC1598375DF.jpeg 26007BC5-AA3A-4DA3-BF49-57FFA44F0A9A.jpeg B33C23A9-6204-401D-AB2A-2CAD96A86A27.jpeg C9BA4FB5-A52B-4F8E-A61B-1A0E1AF114B3.jpeg
    Other than that, I’ve got no other info re neck, (stained?) what ‘version’ etc
    It’s obvs ‘aged’ naturally (wink)
    Any comments/thoughts much appreciated

Jughead6, Shlabotnik and gigetto like this.
  14. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I’m thinking about selling my Marlowe DK5 and think I’d post a foreshadowing here…

967ED94A-28AB-447E-BA6C-DFF02AA33D75.jpeg

BasEd, Jughead6 and anton72 like this.
  15. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    Just used my new VS4 at my first rehearsal for over six months. It was still bright but that worked well in a band. It has a great woody P bass sound in passive mode with the tone down. Even woodier with foam under the strings. But I actually preferred it in active mode in the band with bass up a little and treble down a little. We have a couple of funk songs with slap in which I’d never use a P bass for but it sounded really good. Almost as good as my J bass. In fact it sounded more like a Stingray for slap. So, a very versatile bass. Also very light at 7lb 4oz so my shoulder felt great after three hours rehearsing. I love the neck too which the same width as a J.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Nuage420, Vankeays and Jughead6 like this.
  16. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    I sold my MarloweDK 4 string to buy the VS4. The MarloweDK is a fantastic bass but I needed a P bass and already have a TSBS. So it had to go.

Nuage420 likes this.
  17. Taustin Powers

Oct 7, 2002
    Berlin, Germany
    I was in someone else's practice room last night and plugged the Nighthawk into the guy's rig. Sounded great, close to no hissing/humming in single coil mode. Looks like my Peavey Microbass may be part of the problem. Next week I can play it through my Berg rig at rehearsal. That will be the only test that matters - if it sounds good through my rehearsal / gigging rig, it's a keeper!

BasEd and Jughead6 like this.
  18. Good result.

19. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    My VS4 sounded very “hummy” in passive mode though the cheap amp in the shop. Active mode sounded ok. I thought it might be a shielding issue but no problems at all with my own amp.

20. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    I'm willing to bet it's not your amp. It's either the power (such as a dimmer switch being on the same circuit in the house), or RF interference (such as playing in front of a computer screen).

Single coils will pick up *everything* when it comes to noise, hum and interference. Bring your Microbass rig to a different room/house/location and see if the noise disappears.

anton72 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021