Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Gorgeous! Is that the one they had on special? I got as far as entering my payment info on that haha. I decided to build a P but man what a great looking bass.

2. Tjrlogan

Tjrlogan Supporting Member

May 26, 2021
    Hey, thanks, and yes i think it's the same one. It's basically new but marked as 'showroom used' and discounted 30%. Good luck on your build!

Nuage420 likes this.
  3. Harold Runyan

Harold Runyan

Apr 27, 2015
    Ashland, KY
    I looked at this very hard when they marked it down but just didn't care for the fade color combination or weight! I'm really happy you bought it and love it! These things are really cool!

Tjrlogan likes this.
  4. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    Blasphemy you say? I "modded" My VM-4...

Here's why.

First off, She's an "old body style" '06. I really didn't wanna "mess" with Her, but... a couple of years ago, the pickguard lifted in the center, making the space between the guard and the strings very tight. This didn't happen over night. It was gradual. Weird. Either way, it made playing her uncomfortable, and slapping was nearly impossible.
    I contacted the "big two" pickguard makers, and after speaking with both, it seemed that the average cost to make a new one was gonna be around 120 bucks!!! OUCH!!! And... they wanted the original (not just a tracing) in order to make a replica. I wasn't prepared to have something happen to the original in transit, as they are no longer being made. I contacted Sandberg directly, and even had a representative @ Pitbullaudio talk to them for Me, as they are an official Sandberg dealer, and not too far from me. No go.

Here's where it get's interesting...
    I ran across an ORIGINAL, 'old style' pickguard that looked even better than the original, and was in pert near perfect condition. I JUMPED ON IT!!! Got it home, unscrewed the original, went to put this one on, aaaaaaannnnnd... IT DOESN'T FIT!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGG!!! But, now I have the pickguard off, and I'm looking at this beautiful burst. I think to myself... "Self, wouldn't she look awesome with a clear pickguard?" I sure ain't paying 120 bucks, and sending mine off in order verify this, I have some tools, been working with my hands my entire life, soooooooooooooo... I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Oh yeah, while I was taking the strings off, the S "went away." Now the headstock reads andberg Cali ornia. The 'f' had been missing for some time. Ok, time to get a new logo custom made, since Sandberg won't sell me one. While I'm waiting... I decide to paint the headstock. Yeah, the value is gonna decrease, but, I'll NEVER sell this bass. Trust me. I had it "listed" a while back. When the potential buyer COMMITED, I got cold feet, and backed out.

Next... So... I have a black Sandberg bridge here that I plan on using for a custom build that I'm working on. Again, I say to myself... "Self, I wonder how that would look on the VM-4?" I try it on, and LOVE it!!! I guess that it's time to order some black tuning pegs...

Back to the pickguard now. The material shows up. I jump in with fingers crossed, my 20+ year old Sears jigsaw, a drum sander on my drill press, and my trusty Dremel. LET'S DO THIS!!!
    While drilling the holes that make the half round holes where the lobes of the pickups go, the drill bit catches the plastic protective covering that is on the backside of the acrylic, sends it spinning, and cracks it!!! UGH! I press on. It's my first try, and if I fail... I'll try again. Also, I had to make a separate plate out of black, as I didn't want to look at all of that spaghetti in there. I had to cut that a bit bigger than I wanted it to be, in order to conceal the cavity, and not drill any extra holes in the body. Also, this left a rather large, boring black space. I put a sticker there, LOL. Unfortunately, I'm eventually gonna have to in order to secure the transparent portion. You can see where there are two screws missing by the control cover.

Time for reassembly, and one last conversation with myself. "Self, she may look pretty cool if we us the chrome ferrules with the black pegs, in keeping with the Sandberg, 4 silver dot theme. Whaddyathink?" I liked it a lot. Then decided to use the original chrome knobs, instead of the new black ones that I just got. Oh well...

After a few changes, some experience, and going back and forth with "IDEAS", here She is. My 2006, Sandberg VM-4. I think She's pretty.

Oh yeah, I ordered another sheet of clear acrylic. Gonna give it another shot down the road, when I get bored. This one came out quite ok, and doesn't bother me (for now...).

BTW, if You have an "old style" VM-4, and need a pickguard... PM Me. You can have it (it's the more brown one) relatively cheap. I can't promise that it'll fit, as now I know that they were hand made.

Sorry for the long read.
    Peace,
    Marc
    20210610_114513_HDR_2.jpg vm43.jpg vm44.jpg vm45.jpg vm47.jpg vm48.jpg vm49.jpg vm41.png vm42.png

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  5. dwellers

dwellers Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Norcal
    I've been thinking about adding a California V to the stable and wonder if there is fundamentally any difference between the TT/TM and VT/VM beyond body shape and standard pickup configs. I know those are big things but neck and overall feel are quite similar? More so than a standard P and J?

I love my TM and was thinking of a passive VT or VM. I would love to hear from those of you who own both. I'd probably keep flats on the V and rounds on the T. But I also have a Fender P Elite and wondering if the overlap would be too great. I do love a 1.5" neck like a P and the Sandberg is pretty perfect for me.

Thanks!

Shlabotnik and Nuage420 like this.
  6. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    I love my TM4 so much I now have an active VT4 on order so I’m also very interested in hearing what folks have to say about this!

dwellers likes this.
  7. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    @LimaGuy Welcome to the Sandberg Club! Your number is 185 :)

LimaGuy likes this.
  8. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Good stuff brother!

Naigewron likes this.
  9. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    @Pantofolaio79 Welcome to the Sandberg Club! Your number is 186 :)

Nuage420 and Pantofolaio79 like this.
  10. Pantofolaio79

Pantofolaio79

Oct 4, 2018
    Italy
    Sandberg EL00047 Tone Pot 250k LOG

Sorry, the potentiometer of this link can be used for the volume volume tone configuration? obviously having three, thank you very much!

11. Out for delivery!

12. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    There are a few threads saying how bright the Sandberg VS4 is. I just picked one up and was a little worried before I got it. It has Sandberg P pickups which look a lot like Delano ceramic Ps (rebadged maybe?). I have to say that it is very bright. I have new strings and it almost has a Stingray sizzle in active mode. It can be dialled down with the treble knob. I much prefer it in passive mode but I still dial down the treble and putting a piece of foam under the strings at the bridge gives much more of a vintage P bass tone. I’m thinking about replacing the pickups with EMG JAX which I have in a Yamaha PJ which are fantastic pickups IMHO. I can almost achieve the same tone now with the Sandberg Ps and I’m starting to like them more. And after all there’s no point in making all my basses sound the same!

13. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    This is very surprising (and only my opinion of course) but my cheap Yamaha BB234 with EMG JAX pickups is ahead of the Sandberg VS4 in sound and build quality! The neck pocket on the VS4 is not as tight as the Yamaha which is water tight. The necks are great on both, the Yamaha being just as good. The Yamaha build competes with all my expensive basses and the only thing that let it down IMO was the pickup it came with, hence the swap to an EMG. The Sandberg is a lovely bass but when I play it back to back with the Yamaha I’m drawn more to the Yamaha. Neither bass has been gigged yet so let’s see if that all changes.

Sascha Erni and dwellers like this.
  14. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    I would say it's unusual to have a Sandberg with a sloppy neck pocket. I've owned 9 Californias in total (still have 5) and every single one has had a tight fitting neck. Is it brand new? Series 1 or 2? Pictures?

15. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    Series 2 from 2019. Secondhand. When I got it I actually had to loosen the neck bolts and straighten the neck. Having said that it works perfectly well and the neck joint is secure but the join is definitely not as water tight as the Yamaha. I have a Sandberg TSBS I bought new and the neck joint is much more snug as with other Sandbergs I’ve owned before. Must be a one off. I must say that the Yamaha is on a par with all my basses as far as build quality is concerned.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Nuage420 likes this.
  16. Harold Runyan

Harold Runyan

Apr 27, 2015
    Ashland, KY
    If you're after a snug neck joint might I suggest looking at the German made Warwicks. The first time I tried to remove a neck on one of these (and every one since) I thought maybe some fool has glued it in place! I too own a Yamaha (TRB 5II) and it is a lovely 35" scale bass in every way. I have Fenders, a Reverend, A Thumb, and a MM Special 5H. I've been hankering for a Sandberg for quite some time but am not particularly interested in their Fender style California models. I would much prefer a Booster or a Basic I think. Sadly, these are not as popular as the California Series and are a little harder to come by in the colors and more importantly weights that interest me. No local dealers although a fellow TB guy locally has a few California 5 strings he's offered to let me fondle a bit! Still need to do that...

17. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    :)

18. Harold Runyan

Harold Runyan

Apr 27, 2015
    Ashland, KY
    Yep, now that the COVID stuff is easing up some I hope to get to see you guys live!

19. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    Whoops. I meant EMG PAX not JAX!

20. It’s here!

665-B7-D46-1-C4-F-4-E32-99-B5-4-ABD5460-CBC6.jpg

Surprisingly, I am not 100% sure it’s a keeper yet. Normally when I pick up a Sandberg, my immediate reaction is „holy cow, this thing plays itself!“ Not quite there with this one. Maybe it’s the setup? Maybe the strings? I‘ll work on it some, put some Lo Riders on it.

Haven’t plugged it in yet, so I can’t comment on tone yet.

TB24, Pantofolaio79, gigetto and 4 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021