Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    Sorry for a late response, just saw Your questions now.

The main differences is that stock Glock preamp is two band, and Darkglass Tone Capsule is three band EQ.
    Also, stock EQ is Bass and Treble, and Darkglass is Bass, Lo Mids and Hi Mids (70 Hz, 500 Hz, 2.8kHz) - I think only one 3EQ at the market without classic Treble frequency.... I Love it!

I had a stock Glock preamp in my TM4, but with Darkglass Vintage Ultra V2 pedal I was more happier with the sound then using on board Glock. Then I found that Darkglass makes Tone Capsule preamp with almost the same EQ frequencies like on a Vintage Ultra pedal. About that time Sandberg introduce Grand Dark model with Darkglass Tone Capsule stock on board, so I decided to change mine for a Tone Capsule and have the sound I like from the Vintage Ultra V2 pedal preamp.

Since mine stock Glock was two band EQ, I contacted nice people from Sandberg, and they sent me the wiring scheme for three band EQ and stacked potentiometer with double knobs for third EQ. Tone Capsule I ordered through Thomann Germany Sandberg dealer, and everything arrived together with the stacked pot, knobs and wiring scheme.

There was no need to mod anything at the bass itself. Just a little fine soldering. Nothing special if You are familiar with the wiring schemes.

Hope it helps :thumbsup:

Here are two pics from outside, one with stock pots and the other one with Darkglass 3EQ.

Attached Files:

2. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    rosewood

3. Are you sure? That's got to be pau ferro.

4. My dark grey Nighthawk Plus is scheduled to ship this month! :)

Sean Baumann likes this.
  5. dwellers

dwellers Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Norcal
    Thank you! Great info!! :)

Sean Baumann and _Obra_ like this.
  6. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    @direktor Welcome to the Sandberg Club! Your number is 184 :)

Nuage420 likes this.
  7. Pantofolaio79

Pantofolaio79

Oct 4, 2018
    Italy
    On Tuesday I will finally collect my tt4 masterpiece .. in this regard I wanted to ask you if you think the bridge is working or is it very "uncomfortable" as some say .. thank you very much!

TB24 likes this.
  8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Uncomfortable in what way? The bridge is quite nice and does its job on my TM5.

Pantofolaio79 likes this.
  9. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    If you’re the type of person for whom too many options makes you uncomfortable (not being snarky… some people really don’t like that) then I suppose it could be considered uncomfortable. If you like having lots of options when it comes to your setup then you will find it extremely comfortable. I have hardly needed to touch mine since I received it, but when I did it was no big deal.

10. Pantofolaio79

Pantofolaio79

Oct 4, 2018
    Italy
    Some say that it is an inconvenient bridge as adjustments .. in that sense .. but in fact I ask for confirmation ..

11. Pantofolaio79

Pantofolaio79

Oct 4, 2018
    Italy
    Great, that's the kind of answer I expected to read .. thank you very much!

Shlabotnik likes this.
  12. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Hello Sandberg club.
    I have California TM4 Superlight arriving tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm if they ship from the factory with Stainless Steel strings? From what I see online, I only see Sanberg branded Steel strings.
    I have a Nickel Allergy so I just want to be prepared with a set of Steels if needed.

Thank you

13. Terry Farmer

Terry Farmer Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2020
    The bridge is fine. A little different from most but quite nice when you get used to the adjustments. Just remember to loosen the set screw that locks the saddle in place before making height, string spacing and intonation adjustments. Lock it back down when you're done. Eazy Peazy!

14. Pantofolaio79

Pantofolaio79

Oct 4, 2018
    Italy
    Thanks man

15. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    The bridge is absolutely fine - it’s different to others but intuitive once you learn.

Once you have set up intonation and relief alongside string height to your flavour you will barely need to touch it again

Jughead6 and Pantofolaio79 like this.
  16. Stainless steel roundwounds have always been standard with new Bergs. They are very bright. Not everyone's cup of tea.

17. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    I used to like them when they arrived with my California. Even used them a year after first set, but they last very short, so I moved to DR.

LimaGuy likes this.
  18. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Thank you

19. Cesar Vortmann

Cesar Vortmann

May 5, 2019
    DR’s High Beams and Black Beauties were the best sounding strings in my VM4 and I’ve tried almost every string set there is.

20. Jarno L

Jarno L

Jan 6, 2021
    Hi,

I'm interested in a sandberg vs4 passive.
    And on the site you can choose the soft aged finish.
    Does anybody knows what type of finish they use on these?
    Nitro or somethinge else?

Also any thoughts on these basses are welcome

Thanks

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021