Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. direktor

direktor Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Can I get a number?

I just got this delivered to me this afternoon, from another TB’er.

I ‘get’ Sandberg now. I’ve tried so many Fenders over the years and only a few of them have been anything even halfway close to what I’d call nice…now I’ve experienced the formula at its best.

I assume this is what a really good Fender is like that some people swear by. I ain’t got no time to hunt one of those down :thumbsup:

IMG_0804.jpg IMG_0803.jpg

TB24, jcpharm, Matt Dean and 14 others like this.
  2. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    :woot::woot::woot:

3. Jeremy Unruh

Jeremy Unruh

Jan 22, 2020
    NorCal
    I know what you mean, I did the same thing. I own Fenders and all of them good, but not great. Put my hand on my first Sandberg and it was like feeling quality for the first time.

4. Terry Farmer

Terry Farmer Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Yep, my holy grail search is complete also. I now own two Sandbergs and am about to order my third. Sweet basses!

TB24, Jughead6, equill and 1 other person like this.
  5. AJBass-85

AJBass-85

Jan 7, 2017
    Italy
    Dear all, what strings do you use on your California TT SL?

6. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I got mine used and it appeared to have Elixirs on it. They sounded fantastic. I think I've been using Dunlop nickels on mine lately. Pretty much anything sounds great. Different, but great.

BrentSimons and AJBass-85 like this.
  7. grocker

grocker Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Ormond Beach
    I have 3 Sandberg SL's, all cedar versions, 1 has very long strap button screws why? Also they do not have felt or rubber washers,just metal on wood,is it ok to use felt or rubber washers with the Cedar? Where can i purchase Sandberg strap buttons or do they use Schaller or other companies buttons?

8. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Question for the group here. Maybe this has been discussed already which is likely, but I'd like feedback on the Delano PJ config with the J in the bridge rather than MM style humbucker.

I had P/MM config Sandberg (with black labels) for a while and always felt I was fighting it. Just too bright and harsh. I'm hoping the PJ might be more organic and truly PJ like. I assume yes, but any feedback is appreciated.

Sean Baumann and bdplaid like this.
  9. direktor

Dec 24, 2008
    My Delano JJ pickups, passive, in my TT4 are the mellowest things I own, out of Streamers with EMG active PJs and an active P Spector. High end on the Sandberg never drives me nuts.

10. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I have a 2020 PJ, but with Black Labels. I know what you mean about "fighting the tone."

As you can imagine, the BL P is more modern sounding (mostly brighter with less midrange pop), and in the end I replaced it with a Fender Original 62, which I like much better across the board.
    The J pickup is different, it's good. I"m not sure how I characterize it, other than it plays well with both the BL P and the Fender P pickup. It's burpy by itself when I want it to be, and it adds a good deal of high end sheen and bite when paired with the Fender P. I like the BL J a lot.

I have trouble getting my head around the notion of a P that sounds "modern." IMO that's not what they do. If you want modern or different, start playing around with a J, or something with soapbars. But the P? Modern just ain't what it does.

Nuage420 likes this.
  11. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    Ok, I'm thinking about buy a Sandberg California T. What to choose? California TM-4 RW (Delano) or California II Grand Dark 4 (Darkglass?). Is there any significant difference other than electronics and pickup? The price difference is 180 €. What do you think about this here at the club who know this brand. Thanks guys.

12. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    I bought California TM4 with Delano, and changed the preamp for a Darkglass. Couldn't be more happier with it :hyper:

Fernando Costa likes this.
  13. dwellers

dwellers Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Norcal
    Can you describe what's different? Did you do the mod? Was it easy? Thanks!

14. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    Keep in mind that yet another option is to order the standard preamp with a 3-band EQ instead of the 2-band (DG is 3-band as well) which I did and am glad for it.

15. dwellers

dwellers Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Norcal
    I've been happy with the stock preamp (Delano) on my TM4 and with my amp (Genzler MG800) along with a Darkglass clean preamp pedal (Harmonic Booster) I can get most any tone to suit the song or my mood. I guess I'm just GAS'ing for something. Time for a new Sandy? :)

Fernando Costa and Shlabotnik like this.
  16. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I recently picked up a TM5 from the classifieds, I’m pretty impressed. I got it so I could experience the Sandberg brand with less risk as I’ve never played one before. I really wanted a P, but had to settle for what I could - but it’s not really settling because it’s quite excellent. Well, I still want a P though. I’m considering either a VM5 or VT5. What could I expect between these two models? I do want the P vibe, but ability to dial in other tones from the second pickup. Also considering what to do about the finish, not sure if I should believe the hype about the aged finish models (masterpiece) or not. I’m not really into the relic thing, but can’t help wonder if I’d be missing out on something. Somebody talk me into a direction please.

17. direktor

Dec 24, 2008
    If you would have asked me 3 months ago, I would have said artificial aging was silly. I had just gone into a Sam Ash to get some strings, and they had the Flea Jazz bass in a case, and I tried it. My whole life I’ve always been a non-Fender person, but I suspected I just hadn’t played a decent one yet, and I wanted to investigate. I’ll skip the review of that other than to say the ‘relicing’ was not done very well, and besides the neck feeling nicer with no finish on it, it felt silly. But looked semi decent. But not really.

Couple weeks later I went into the Bass Exchange in North Hollywood and they have a Sandberg Oliver Riedel signature that I played for 10 minutes. Completely different experience. The neck was fantastic, and the aging was done so well it didn’t feel silly.

This put me on track for trying to find either a hardcore aged or masterpiece. I almost got that OR sig, but I felt I might get tired of so much black. I wound up getting a TT4 masterpiece from the TB classifieds. The aging is done so well, I really love it. I’m over the ‘posing’ aspect of the aging and now view it as just a process to make things more comfortable.

Of course those things could be done in only the places it matters (back of neck, etc), but then it would just look odd. Not being stressed about putting another ding on it is a minor bonus. Just typing that seems weird and I feel the cognitive dissonance. But it’s true.

If you suspect you’d like it, you should give it a try. It was a major change in my taste and perception to spend time with one.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    TB24, Cuzzie, GregC and 2 others like this.
  18. Pantofolaio79

Pantofolaio79

Oct 4, 2018
    Italy
    Finally in a few days after 7 months of waiting I am about to get my tt4 masterpiece, I am really very excited .. I will follow with the updates .. :)

TB24, Cuzzie, GregC and 3 others like this.
  19. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    very cool, I dig how worn it is

20. What's the fretboard on that? Is it roasted maple? Can't quite tell.

Nuage420 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021