1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    It does thanks!
    So how did you end up resolving your disappointment with the PM? Did you go with a completely different model?

2. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    I eventually bought a VS4 and put that one's pickup and circuit in the PM4. It sounded much better but ultimately I prefer a less modern tone and sold it.
    I still have the 7.5lb VS4 and it has an EMG Geezer Butler and passive circuit. The Geezer is based on a 60's Fender P pickup from one of Bobby Vega's collection I believe.

Nuage420 and Shlabotnik like this.
  3. Just recorded a couple of vids of my TT5 and VM5 Nighthawk. Sorry for rough iPhone quality but the idea was to record them mic’d of my Quilter BB800 and Barefaced SuperMidget cab. VM5 is in passive mode, TT5 is passive by default.

Nuage420 and Juan Lauda like this.
  4. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I chose the VT4 for a couple of reasons.
    When I was building my own basses I always put a dual coil in the bridge position. But I ultimately concluded that what I wanted from a bridge pickup were two things:
    1. The Jaco tone
    2. Add a little mid or mid scoop to the pickup, which is my main sound.

I considered a MM pickup for more options, but:
    1. It never sounds like an actual MM
    2. Sitting next to a p pickup it looks ungainly.

Putting it all together took me back to the tried and true PJ.

The j in the VT4 SL is a really great pickup. I know nothing about it, but can say it sounds great soloed or mixed with the fender p I have in my VT4.

Nuage420 and Shlabotnik like this.
  5. Question for y'all. I bought a Sandberg to stand out tonally against my other basses. I didn't realize it came with SS strings and I suppose some of the "balls" comes from the strings. For those of you that have kept on using SS strings, how fast do they wear the fret material? If I switch over to Nickels, what is a good set that will still give me that spankin' modern sound?

Nuage420 likes this.
  6. Terry Farmer

Terry Farmer Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Curt Mangan Nickle Round Wounds are excellent IMHO.

Chewy_B_i_T_s and Nuage420 like this.
  7. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I use Ernie Ball Cobalts. All the balls.

Chewy_B_i_T_s likes this.
  8. dwellers

dwellers Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Norcal
    I've used regular EB Slinkies, Cobalts, D'Addario XL and GHS Balanced Nickels all with great success. Wouldn't kick any of them out but I'm not really that picky about strings. I just prefer a 100-45 range and they all play nice.

TB24, Chewy_B_i_T_s and Nuage420 like this.
  9. Yesterday I tested my VM5 Nighthawk at band practice. I must admit I under appreciated this bass at first. You have to test it in a live setting in a band mix cause that’s where it really shines IMO. Sorry for the crappy home made demos with this bass I posted here before (I tried to delete them but couldn’t ) as they don’t do the justice. The only cons (IMO, again) that I experienced is that this bass won’t fit the heavier styles as the ceramic pickups tend to run into over-compression if you dig in, but for any other kind of pop music it’s perfect. I couldn’t dial in any good slap and pick tone but I have my TT5 with Alnico single coils pickups for this purpose. That’s just my observation after a week of playing this amazing bass. Here’s a short vid from yesterday band practice

TB24, alack, DJ '65 and 2 others like this.
  10. That was great fun, thanks for sharing! :)

11. NickBassCentral

NickBassCentral Commercial User

Yesterday
    Orlando, Florida
    Bass Central
    Hey there!
    Nick from the Bass Central Shipping Dept here. We ship all over the world, Norway included.

12. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    Cool beans, I'll remember that next time. Your reverb listings did not indicate you shipping here.

13. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    Hey there!

I finally made a video that can answer some previously asked questions about the sound of Music Man StingRay and Sandberg California TM4.
    Please read all the infos about the video on YouTube and let me know what You think :).

Nuage420, Shlabotnik, kasbrey and 2 others like this.
  14. NickBassCentral

Yesterday
    Orlando, Florida
    Bass Central
    No worries at all, glad we could clear that up! I recommend calling into the store or emailing "[email protected]" for a more direct line of communication!

Naigewron and Nuage420 like this.
  15. NickBassCentral

Yesterday
    Orlando, Florida
    Bass Central
    Hey there, Nick from Bass Central here. I can 100% confirm that the Sandberg Super Light basses are perfectly balanced, and do not suffer from any tone or sustain loss. We have no idea how they do it!

16. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    The TM4 does sound remarkably close with the Darkglass frequencies boosted.

I take it that's with the pickup pan selector in the middle? (ah never mind I read the blurb again),

Nuage420 and _Obra_ like this.
  17. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    I see what You mean...with the pan in the middle it sounds nice, but humbucker solo with bass boost and hi mids boost is closest to StingRay. Tone Capsule is great!

Nuage420 and kasbrey like this.
  18. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    This was freaking fantastic. I wish there were more videos out there like this. Thanks!

Cuzzie, _Obra_ and Nuage420 like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021