Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    TB24, DJ '65, Nekomata and 7 others like this.
  2. Lesfunk

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I love this bass so much I’m thinking about just selling off my others and going Sandberg all the way.
    The only thing about these super lights is that holy crap , the wood is fragile.
    I’m a working bassist and my instruments get used. I already have several dings In the body from encounters that would not even scratch my music mans finish.
    I guess the 6lb weight advantage giveth and taketh away.
    In a year I will have my own natural relic

3. deadline_

deadline_

May 17, 2020
    Bergen, Norway
    Has anyone changed the tuners on the Sandberg Electra? ⚓️

bdplaid likes this.
  4. Jamie Hale

Jamie Hale

Jul 16, 2019
    Love that clear guard!

5. Lesfunk

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I’m interested in hearing from those who play a five string Sandberg .
    I am considering one but am a Music-man 5 player and don’t prefer super wide string spacing
    I know that the Sandberg bridge has some adjustment and am interested in hearing personal opinions of the general feel of the five string neck.
    My TM-4 SL has a wonderful feeling neck profile but just because I love the four string doesn’t mean the five will work for me

I must drive over an hour to be able to test one myself.

6. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    I just switched from an Ibanez SR505 (16.5mm spacing) to a Sandberg VM5. I was hesitant too, but it's been a non-issue for me.

But it's worth noting that the reason why I find the wider string spacing ok now, is that I've switched from anchoring my thumb on the pickup to utilising a fully floating thumb technique. This makes string jumping 1000% easier, and muting is no longer an issue, even with wider spacing.

Lesfunk likes this.
  7. Jamie Hale

Jamie Hale

Jul 16, 2019
    This is only my personal take on it, comparing to an Ibanez I was glad to sell at a huge loss and a G&L 5 fretted bass, and an older Carvin LB75 fretless. My Carvin feels best, set currently about 17. But I have had it the longest. My G&L is the same when I measure it, but the neck is thicker. The Sandberg VM5 is more similar to the Carvin, thin neck and I find it comfortable. The string spacing is variable and I think it is still as sent (17.5?) I would definitely try to try one in person, but both Ibanez basses I used felt like I could go for a stroll on the neck (of course, that depends on the model with them).

Nuage420 and Lesfunk like this.
  8. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    I drove over 400km to other Country just to try one before I ordered mine from Sandberg (and that's one direction) :)

Sascha Erni and Nuage420 like this.
  9. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    Hi all

This is my new video where I compared Sandberg California TM4 II sound with Fender Jazz bass 1977.
    I made this video after the other one where I compared Sandberg (only in active mode) and Music Man StingRay Special. In first video I wanted to compare sound of humbuckers, and to try to mimic sound of StingRay as close as I can at Sandberg.

However, this one was with different idea, and that was to compare Sandberg in only passive mode and only using single pickups - no humbucker was used although humbucker sound will come much closer to the 1977 Jazz Bass regarding the position of bridge pickup at Fender.

Let me know what you think about the sound :)

TB24, Nuage420, TheLopp and 6 others like this.
  10. LocalBowsey

LocalBowsey

Mar 19, 2021
    @_Obra_

Love your content fella! Making me want to put rounds back on my TM4.

_Obra_ likes this.
  11. From this vid I prefer Fender JB tone. More articulate and less muddy. But that’s my love and hate thing about Sandberg stock pickups. I generally prefer Alnico over Ceramic magnets.

kasbrey likes this.
  12. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    These are Delano...I'm pretty happy with them :)

13. Taustin Powers

Taustin Powers Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Berlin, Germany
    I own one fretted 5 string bass, a Sandberg California VM5.

I own nine fretted 4 string basses.

I like the neck of the Sandberg 5 banger so much, that I ordered a 4 string Sandberg, despite already owning more 4 bangers than makes sense. I don't know what their magic sauce is, but the VM5 practically plays itself. Anything I play on it, I can play it faster and with less effort than on any other bass. I am hoping to have a similar experience with the Nighthawk TM4 I have on order.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Shlabotnik and Nuage420 like this.
  14. Taustin Powers

Taustin Powers Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Berlin, Germany
    I will probably be the odd one out here, but I really liked the white pg better. The contrast with the body wood really worked for me.

Beautiful bass either way! :)

Lesfunk and Nuage420 like this.
  15. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Have I posted pix yet ? Saw its 1st gig action, in NJ, this past weekend....

Reminds me very much of the 80s Musicman Saber basses that Rudy Sarzo used to play in Ozzy's band. I want to see if I can get an aged metal control plate to complete the MM look.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Jeremy Unruh, Nuage420 and GregC like this.
  16. Lesfunk

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I was not actually considering a clear guard at first, but when I took the white one off I thought it looked great showing more wood grain

gigetto likes this.
  17. Terry Farmer

Terry Farmer Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2020
    I like the clear guard. I wonder if anyone makes a chrome guard to match the control plate?

bdplaid likes this.
  18. thawkeyes

thawkeyes

Mar 20, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    That video is fire my friend. A big thank you (from all of us I'm sure) for that one. It is WELL DONE!

Cuzzie and _Obra_ like this.
  19. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Dictatorship
    I hope soon I can make one where I can show that using humbucker instead of single coil at the Sandberg bridge, sound can be much more similar to 70's Jazz.

GregC, anton72 and Nuage420 like this.
  20. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Awesome video brother!

_Obra_ likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021