1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Yes, it drains the battery. I don't know what's the power consumption of that preamp exactly, so the batteries may last more or less than on other preamps, but the preamp is on as long as there is a cable inserted in the jack, that's it's switch... so yes, it'll use up batteries even in passive mode as long as you have a mono cable inserted in the jack.

equill and Naigewron like this.
  2. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Speaking for the SL, and paulownia in general, no special pickups are needed to balance out anything. SLs have paulownia bodies, and paulownia is in the ash family. That's what it sounds like.

I didn't like the black label p pickup because I thought it sounded too modern. I dropped in a Fender Original 62 pickup and it sounds now like a 62 p bass.

The thing about Sandberg is that they seem to approach a bass as a whole, meaning the wood they choose us going to work just fine. Same with the pickups, although Sandberg definitely leans towards the modern, whereas my needs are more traditional.

kasbrey, anton72, Jughead6 and 2 others like this.
  3. I've always been curious about palounia tone characteristics. I am thinking of buying a SL 5 str but not sure if it would sound as good in a passive mode (I prefer passive mode) as more heavier traditional wood ones, specifically in low register. What is your impression of palounia compared to alder or swamp ash? Thanks

4. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    First off, all wood is highly variable. It depends on the individual piece, no matter the species.

That said, I find paulownia highly resonant. To my ears it sounds a lot like swamp ash. I find alder to be like a jack of all trades. It sounds good, but pretty much like everything else. That's probably because it's been used so much in basses since the instrument 's inception.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Sandberg made of paulownia. I have two SLs, one of paulownia and another of cedar, both of which are killer basses in every regard. I think Sandberg takes the time to actually select wood, rather than just grab a piece from the pile and throw it in the CDC.

My experience with Sandberg has been leagues more positive than any other manufacturer, such that I have stopped building my own in favor of buying Sandberg.

Although, there's the 7 lb jazz I built that's so good, I'll be buried with it.

kasbrey likes this.
  5. I wanted to give you a report on my experience of ordering a Sandberg VM5 from Thomann Music in Germany and having it delivered to Texas.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/sandberg_california_ii_vm_5_mn_bkb.htm
    (The price has gone up since I ordered it)

The first thing I did was sign up to be a verified customer with an official customer number. The price of the bass was $1,599 plus $58.90 for shipping. I used a Chase Visa card and it appears that however Thomann routed/processed the payment, I wasn't charged any foreign transaction fees. (you probably want to make sure that USA is selected as your location on the top) If any fees show up on my monthly bill, I'll give an update.

I placed the order on a Friday and received the bass one week later. It was packaged with the Sandberg box inside a larger Thomann box using scrunched up brown paper as space filler. The outside box was in relatively good condition and the inside box and bass were pristine.

CUSTOMS and BROKERAGE:
    Thomann filled out any required invoices and paperwork.
    While the bass was in transit UPS emailed me requesting my business tax ID or, if the item was for personal use, my Social Security Number. It took about a day and a half for the bass to clear customs. My advice is to not pay too much attention to the scans while the item is processing through customs. Just be patient and it will probably get released within a couple of days. At some point after the bass clears customs the tracking will update with the option to pay the duty and fees ahead of time. The other option is to pay the driver with a check. The box will not be released by the driver without payment.

My total bill from UPS was $113.24. I believe this included 5% duty on the total invoice (including shipping) plus a ~$30 brokerage fee.

Total out of Pocket: $1,599 + $58.90 + $113.24 = $1771.14

Scan History:
    Fri 30 Apr 2021 1:11 PM Delivered FORT WORTH TX US
    10:46 AM Out For Delivery Today Fort Worth TX US
    8:55 AM Loaded on Delivery Vehicle Fort Worth TX US
    4:48 AM Processing at UPS Facility Fort Worth TX US
    Thu 29 Apr 2021 10:37 PM Departed from Facility DFW Airport TX US
    5:05 PM Arrived at Facility DFW Airport TX US
    3:59 PM Import charges are due for this package. Select Pay Now (where available) or pay at delivery.
    3:59 PM Duties or taxes are due on this package.
    3:49 PM Departed from Facility Louisville KY US
    2:55 PM Import Scan Louisville KY US
    2:36 PM Your package has been released by the government agency.
    2:35 PM Your package has been released by the government agency.
    12:07 PM Warehouse Scan Louisville KY US
    Wed 28 Apr 2021 5:54 AM Your package is pending release from a government agency. Release of the package to UPS may take up to 10 days. Louisville KY US
    5:54 AM UPS initiated contact with the sender to obtain clearance information. Once received, UPS will submit for clearance. / Your package is on the way
    12:08 AM Import Scan Louisville KY US
    Tue 27 Apr 2021 10:32 PM Arrived at Facility Louisville KY US
    9:01 PM Departed from Facility Koeln DE
    2:00 PM UPS initiated contact with the sender to obtain clearance information. Once received, UPS will submit for clearance. / The package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release.
    Mon 26 Apr 2021 8:49 PM The package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release.
    Tue 27 Apr 2021 1:28 AM Export Scan Koeln DE
    Mon 26 Apr 2021 11:44 PM Arrived at Facility Koeln DE
    9:10 PM Departed from Facility Frankfurt DE
    6:03 PM Origin Scan Frankfurt DE
    8:15 AM Package is in transit to a UPS facility Burgebrach DE
    8:16 AM Shipper created a label, UPS has not received the package yet. DE
    NOTE: The times listed in the scan details are local time.​

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 12:56 PM
    TB24, _Obra_, Cuzzie and 5 others like this.
  6. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    Good information, thanks!

7. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
  8. Agent P

Agent P

Apr 3, 2015
    USA
    I just got my 1st Sandberg California VM4 SL bass recently. So glad that I took a chance... each time I pick it up and play, I just love it more and more!!!

Here's what it sounds like (first video play-along that I made after changing the strings and setting it up to my taste):

mcnach, TB24, DJ '65 and 8 others like this.
  9. No problem! It was frustrating when deciding to pull the trigger not knowing exactly what to expect. Kudos to Thomann and UPS for making the shipping quick, pain free, and surprisingly inexpensive.

bdplaid and Shlabotnik like this.
  10. Shlabotnik

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    Can anyone offer up a reason to get the VT4 (P/J) rather than the VM4 (P/HB)?

Seems like Sandberg ships a ton of VMs but not a lot of VT models. Has anyone ever compared them? Certainly the tone would be different but is the HB more useful at the bridge than the J pickup? Thanks!

Nuage420 likes this.
  11. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    With the ability to split the bridge it covers jazz and MM. Offers a but more versatility so I'm sure people want that more.

12. Jamie Hale

Jamie Hale

Jul 16, 2019
    At least on mine you can’t split the bridge.

Nuage420 likes this.
  13. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Oh, I thought that was on all of them I have the TM4 Grand Dark. I can do jazz bridge or humbucker with a flick of a switch

14. Jamie Hale

Jamie Hale

Jul 16, 2019
    Yeah, I really wanted that feature but my understanding is it doesn’t work well with the neck pickup. If I had known before ordering I would have gotten the VT4. But it’s a wonderful bass in every other way.

15. Shlabotnik

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    Yeah I have a TM4 now (which I love!) and you can split the bridge, and if the VM4 did that as well then it would be a no-brainer since you could have all the flavors. But since you can't split the HB on the VM4 it's more of a conundrum as to whether to get a VM4 or a VT4.

16. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I'm willing to bet if you call them or email them they'll build what you want

bdplaid and mcnach like this.
  17. Shlabotnik

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    Oh yeah I'm sure they would but I'm still curious about the differences in tone between the VM and VT series in case a shop gets my dream setup in stock.

18. Jamie Hale

Jamie Hale

Jul 16, 2019
    According to the shop I went through, splitting on the VM5 was not an op, but I did not correspond directly with Holger or Sandberg. The shop said Holger told them that wasn’t an option.

Nuage420 and Shlabotnik like this.
  19. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Never know until you try

20. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    I used to own an early PM(VM)4 with Delano pickups. I was never happy with the interaction of the P and MM pickups and I tried a lot of modifications including wiring the MM as a single coil. I didn't find an enormous difference between single coil (front coil) and in series, as the MM is set quite a way back towards the bridge in comparison to the TM4 I also owned.
    I also tried fitting a Haussel alnico MM (and various P pickups) but again didn't find a radical difference given the positioning of the MM.
    The large pole Sandberg P's interact better than the Delanos, I felt, but the bridge pickup made less of a difference.

Not sure if this helps!

Shlabotnik likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021