Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Can’t help you with regards to finishes, but a VS4 passive has been my main bass for over a year now. I pair it with a MIM Fender Precision; in one band, the fender is merely a backup, in the other, I use it tuned Eb (and as a backup for the Sandberg in case of in-gig shenanigans).

The VS4 is much louder than the MIM, even when lowering the pickups (I took the standard Sandberg ones) all the way down, and raise the Fender pickups as high as is feasible. So I gave up trying to balance the instruments a while ago and just use a Spark Mini Booster to make up for the volume difference.

The Sandberg plays VERY nicely, even with very little relief on the neck and the saddles cranked all the way down – no buzzing or other additional fret noise. It’s far less neck-heavy than the Fender, and overall a tad lighter. The weight difference isn’t really noticeable to me while playing, the lack of neck-dive though is. The Sandberg’s neck is more narrow than the Fender’s, sure, but no way near a Fender Jazz or Ibanez SR. But it’s also no baseball bat. I like it.

VS4 sounds similar to my Fender, from a “does it P?” point of view, but with even more oomph around 800 Hz or so, and more clarity higher up. It doesn’t sound “hifi” in the least, but, well, like a modern take on a Precision. To get the amount of high-end I get on the Fender with Tone fully open, I need to dial the Sandberg’s Tone back by about a fifth to a quarter. It took me some time to get used to the Tone pot, it either works differently than a Fender's, or due to the different basic sound of the instrument, its effects are more pronounced. But when fully open, the VS4 sounds to my ears as if it had a very slight mid scoop, rather than the classic P-bass mid bump.

Caveat: My VS4 passive was a custom model; back when I ordered it, the passive versions weren’t stock. So there might be slight differences; for example, I don’t think the regular VS4 passives have a battery compartment pre-installed …

Nuage420 likes this.
  2. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Just received my
    California TM4 Superlight. 5.9lbs.

Better than I could ever imagine.

I had 2 Cervical Spine Surgeries
    7 months ago. I never thought I would be able to wear a
    bass on my shoulder again.

The way the 5.9lbs balances across the bass. It feels like weight is about 1lb on my shoulder.

20210605_112806.jpg 20210605_110707_01.jpg

3. Jarno L

Jarno L

Jan 6, 2021
    Thanks for the info.
    I've tested one today and was really impressed by it.
    So I'm looking up as much info as I can.
    Not that the specs would change my mind of buying one some day, but it's nice to know.

4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I read somewhere that the finish is a mix, it is not completely nitro. I assume the finish is more fragile than the high gloss.

5. Jarno L

Jarno L

Jan 6, 2021
    Thanks for the info.

6. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    Shot a "Live in the studio" video today. First proper outing with the VM5, and it delivered in a big way. Looking forward to the final results

NpVATGt.jpg
    B3JLFOI.jpg

TB24, Pantofolaio79, Jughead6 and 4 others like this.
  7. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    looks great! Is that the cream high gloss finish? Share some sound samples!

Nuage420 likes this.
  8. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    Yep, it is indeed.

I'll post a video when it's muxed and edited, but here's a playthrough of one of our songs I did at home using the VM5:

TB24, gigetto, Sean Baumann and 3 others like this.
  9. Jamie Hale

Jamie Hale

Jul 16, 2019
    I think this confirms my plans to get a tortoise shell pickguard for mine. Much better than black with the cream body and neck wood. Brings out the warmth in the color.

Naigewron likes this.
  10. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Can I get a club number?

I'm in NYC. Got this from BassCentral.
    They seem to have a bunch in stock but most are on order. Same with all the other USA dealers.
    I'm ready for #2.
    What's the best & least expensive way to get one from an overseas dealer and not get killed with customs charges?

Nuage420 likes this.
  11. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    I actually have a black pickguard on its way from Sandberg. But I've never really been a fan of tort.

mcnach and Jamie Hale like this.
  12. Pantofolaio79

Pantofolaio79

Oct 4, 2018
    Italy
    Here we are..I have an indescribable emotion, finally after 7 months it is in my hands..tt4 masterpiece creams with kloppmann pickups..we are at very high levels..I would like to have a number to be part of this great club :) 84898BFA-9CBA-471F-91EB-9FA94039183F.jpeg

Groove Doctor, gigetto, TB24 and 15 others like this.
  13. Pantofolaio79

Pantofolaio79

Oct 4, 2018
    Italy
    Could you tell me if the potentiometers in the passive circuits are 250k or 500k? thank you very much!

14. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Is it not written in the pots if you take the control plate out?
    Or email sandberg

Pantofolaio79 likes this.
  15. Pantofolaio79

Pantofolaio79

Oct 4, 2018
    Italy
    I should look good .. but do you think it is possible to mount cts potentiometers?

16. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    measure the shaft size diameter for the hole on the plate.
    Measure the depth of the pot and the cavity - then you will see your options.

what’s wrong with the original pots?

_Obra_ and Pantofolaio79 like this.
  17. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'd ask Sandberg on Facebook, they are good at returning messages.

Pantofolaio79 likes this.
  18. Pantofolaio79

Pantofolaio79

Oct 4, 2018
    Italy
    I have the impression that they are 500k .. and I have always preferred the 250k .. but maybe I'm wrong :)

19. Pantofolaio79

Pantofolaio79

Oct 4, 2018
    Italy
    Thank a lot!

20. Tjrlogan

Tjrlogan Supporting Member

May 26, 2021
    Hi All - first post here, but longtime lurker. I've primarily dabbled in Guitars for the past 20 years, and tried a bass or two here and there. Now I'm going to get serious (for a hobbyist anyway)...with this...a CME Spec'd Basic VM5.

20210610_094211.jpg 20210610_094223.jpg

DJ '65, Dbass35, TB24 and 7 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021