1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    No, you are right, 2004 it is, got things mixed up.
    Mine is 12137, the first digit because they for some reason made two 2137:s or something, Holger was less than sure when I asked him for the exaxt reason but...

Wisebass likes this.
  2. kasroc

kasroc

Aug 25, 2016
    Hey, guys. Look what showed up today...

05AB4990-519F-47EA-A753-7B943C9D59B7. DF55D870-5AA7-47E2-8818-999A0E34E2ED.

TB24, Manichga, Wisebass and 5 others like this.
  3. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    Holy congrats! Great call on the black hardware as that really makes it pop. Initial thoughts? What preamp did you go with?

kasroc likes this.
  4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Went the the Chicago Music Exchange wanting to try a P style bass, 34" scale, 8.5 lbs max, a J style neck, passive alhtough active with a by-pass is OK and under $2K.
    Was hoping to play a Lull although they didn't have the exact model in stock.
    I have plenty of Fenders a Stingrays and never heard much about Sandbergs.
    Then I saw the $849 Electra VS4!
    Tried it through a TH and Aggie cabinet with the EQ flat.
    Was going to buy it on the spot but then realized it makes more sense for them to ship it to MD for free and I think there won't be any tax; and I get back home tomorrow!!
    Highly recommend speaking with Alex at CME

OTOH, is the California model THAT much better?

TB24 and Wisebass like this.
  5. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Electra is quality
    Masterpiece is astonishing
    There are your spectrum ends

Whatever you get will be awesome but you have to go with your budget and heart

Jim C and CB3000 like this.
  6. lexefx

lexefx picky?? Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Grayslake IL
    Question for all you special order Sandberg guys. What was the delivery time on your bass? Just looking for a consensus.

Thanks

7. kasroc

kasroc

Aug 25, 2016
    Almost a year...

lexefx likes this.
  8. kasroc

kasroc

Aug 25, 2016
    Thank you! The all black hardware is what sold me on the looks of this bass. Really digging the active circuits! The treble boost is very nice. It’s not harsh at all. Not what I expected. And it sounds very good in passive mode too. Bass feels nice and light and is good on the hands. I was a bit worried about the matte finish, but it’s really, really cool. All my other guitars are high gloss.

Are you asking what preamp in my rig? It’s an EBS-1 Classic. The bass has the standard Delano pickups and associated pre.

9. kasroc

kasroc

Aug 25, 2016
    What’s so different about the Masterpieces? My guess is more attention to detail? Higher quality woods and hardware? Anyone own both and/or other models?

10. lexefx

lexefx picky?? Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Grayslake IL
    Wow and thank you.

kasroc likes this.
  11. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    @kasroc its not just the wood quality but the massive attention to detail.
    I would say the fit and finish and quality of components is about the same as it is put together by the same people in the same factory.

Masterpiece has the vibration treat, heat treatment and whole ageing process done to it to make it feel a joy to play and I fully believe that these processes of ageing the wood to eliminate moisture and allow the wood to gain its resonant Tone do make a big difference.
    I have played Electra through to masterpiece and pretty much each ageing process, there is something about a masterpiece, it’s just amazing

Jim C, kasroc and FacStudio like this.
  12. FacStudio

FacStudio Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Worcester, UK
    @Cuzzie is correct about the Masterpieces, they are amazing. I have only just got one (5-weeks ago) and I can honestly say it is the most sublime instrument I have ever played. Whilst my other 4 hardcore aged Sandberg's are excellent in their own way, there is something that sets the masterpiece apart. The feel of the neck, the resonance, sustain, and of course the aesthetic.

I was lucky that I didn't have to wait the 18-months for a masterpiece as the dealer ordered 2 in late 2016 (yep 2016) and I grabbed one. Would I wait 18-months for one to be custom built. YES is the answer.

When you compare the cost of a masterpiece to a custom shop fender for example, I think the masterpiece actually offers incredible value. I am convinced more love goes into each Sandberg bass than most other builders. They won't and don't rush so it takes as long as it takes.

kasroc, Wisebass and Cuzzie like this.
  13. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    LOVE THIS!

kasroc likes this.
  14. FacStudio

Sep 16, 2016
    Worcester, UK
    I was looking at that at the other day.. Very Nice....

kasroc likes this.
  15. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Cuzzie,
    Can you describe the vibration and heat treatment?
    I'm assuming they place the body on a shake and vibe table to cause some magic to the wood?
    Have never heard of heat treating wood other than a roasted neck.
    So frustrating that there are so few dealers and not alot of info on their site (assuming I'm looking in all the right places).

16. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    @Jim C no worries.

The heat treatment is just that. As we know wood is porous and holds some moisture, so not only do they take the best cut of wood, but it is heated to eliminate moisture that would likely happen over time, this accelerates the process.
    Vibration the place it on a jiggling machine for 100hours (4 days) to simulate the vibration of playing an instrument.

All of this allows the wood to mature at a faster rate giving a seasoned bass which is very resonant.

Now some folk believe this is snake oil, some believe it as gospel amazing.

I think naturally there has to be some benefit, it’s an organic process and not artificial (again some may say the ageing is) but I tell you what I personally have felt more comfortable with and aged bass compared to one which had no treatment in feel and sounds

Hope this helps?!

There ate making of MarloweDK bass videos on you tube which will give some idea

Jim C likes this.
  17. kasroc

kasroc

Aug 25, 2016
    I went with Chicago Music exchange. Marc was easy to deal with. He actually helped design the Forty Eight. He’ll be able to answer any questions you have.

18. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  19. FacStudio

Sep 16, 2016
    Worcester, UK
    Jim C and Wisebass like this.
  20. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Ever play a bass that you were not really looking for, never heard of, that was possessedd?

pos·sessed
    pəˈzest/
    adjective
    1. (of a person) completely controlled by an evil spirit.
      "he can turn into a possessed animal at will"
    IMG_9284.

DJ '65 likes this.