1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Club Sandberg (part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Come on, cut to the good pics!

Wisebass and DJ '65 like this.
  2. FacStudio

FacStudio Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Worcester, UK
    @Jim C is that a new delivery!!

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Came in late yesterday and had a rehearsal last that went on until forever last night.
    Amazingly I'm working from home tomorrow and will be able to have some quiet time wth my baby.
    OTOH, there is an amp or two here (ABM500, SVT head, 800 Fusion, Fender 800 pro, RB400) and a 2x12 GB Neox 2x12 as well as a Berg HT322 that are on standby and waiting, so maybe not so quiet after all.

I was visiting a friend in Chicago and stopped in at CME and played this exact brand new bass on Monday; called them Saturday with a credit card #.
    It is an Electra so not nearly as cool as you guys.
    If this thing is like I remember it, I have some basses that will be sold so I can get on the list for a big dog Sandberg.

I've been playing for a few minutes and have managed to accumulate a bunch of gear over the years that can be flipped at either a profit or at cost.

With that said, I doubt that my 60' P will go as I paid $400 for it (hey it's a non-original finish), but the old Stingrays and the 70's Fender's better look out.

Sob story time: I was at the Arlington Guitar show in 1985 and bought a real 58' burst for $4K.
    It was so clean, many thought it was a forgery. It was the real deal.
    I sold it immediately at $6.5K to put a roof on my house.
    A friend bought it back awhile later for $9K and offered me first right of refusal at $18K.
    I thought these things can't go up any higher.
    Years ago it sold for something like $75K. Easy come...
    It was not THAT great a player but collectors don't seem to care.

As I recall, this bass plays better than all the 70's Fender and as good as my Spector.
    The 60' P is a great player too but the 1 3/4" nut is kinda wide.

Photos tomorrow!

Wisebass and Cuzzie like this.
  4. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Good man

Can’t wait

When that Sandberg bug hits, it’s difficult to shift

Wisebass, kasroc, FacStudio and 3 others like this.
  5. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Wow.
    Nobody ever told me that you can set the action this low and still be able to play up and down the entire neck.
    Unbelievable instrument; and to think I had loved my 70's Fenders and thought nothing could be better for cheap.
    Criticisms:
    * It wasn't in tune out of the box (kidding)
    * It doesn't like it when the amp is near a dimmer switch; the Fenders don't care; easy work around plus not that bad
    * String gauge is pretty light; when these wear out I think I'll go back to Sunbeams 45-105's (assuming a nickel round will sound good since the treble can cut glass when dimed)
    Ummm, that's it. The rest is perfect. 8.4lbs, no ski jump. beautiful finish (always and still do prefer blondes!)

Incredible packing job by CME (still some left in the box, see photo); I didn't know they would throw in a gig bag although this bass will only see the inside of a Mono or Incase gig bag.
    EQ is super usable but can get to stupid should one need it.
    Will post again after some hours on this bad boy.
    Super happy; haven't bought a new bass since 1973 (the SX fretless doesn't count)

I get what you guys have been talking about; by far the best value on cost vs. quality I've found
    Maybe I should think about dumping some gear and order something special...
    IMG_9291.

IMG_9289.

IMG_9286.

alack, kasroc, Wisebass and 4 others like this.
  6. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Congrats

You have now entered the secret club, which we all shout about!!

Looks a beauty

Jim C likes this.
  7. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Oh and get a masterpiece if you at all can, even if it takes 5 years to save, it will be worth it

Jim C likes this.
  8. Nice bass man!! Enjoy it, and maybe you can get my club number cause I don’t have a Sandberg anymore.

Jim C likes this.
  9. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Jim :)

Don' t say, we didn' t tell you that! :D

Happy NBD!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper: sorry for being late.

may the :: be with you

Wise(b)ass

Jim C likes this.
  10. FacStudio

Sep 16, 2016
    Worcester, UK
    :: Sandberg in my veins.

Jim C, DJ '65 and Wisebass like this.
  11. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    It will just be a matter of time.
    I'm not much of a club joiner but this would be the 2nd exception.
    Is their some sort of ritual or a TB'er to ask?
    If it's a one club number rule, I can drop the Spector thing in a heart beat...

Cuzzie likes this.
  12. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Ha!

I dunno, you are part of the family no matter what

Jim C likes this.
  13. kasroc

kasroc

Aug 25, 2016
    I haven’t tried adjusting the action just yet on mine. Haven’t even had it a month yet. Wanted to break it in before I made any adjustments. But my initial thoughts were that the action was set from the factory a bit high. I certainly don’t mind a little fret buzz. I’m also not crazy with the stainless steel strings they put on. I’ll need to try adjusting the action soon though. It’s pretty self explanatory, but the little brochure they sent along with the bass explains how to go about it. Three screws need to be turned in the bridge.

14. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Mine came with a perfect set up.
    I mean really perfect.
    With a pile of Fender's I know the drill.
    One nut was cut low from the factory but a dab of epoxy and a file fixed that problem.

I was thinking the strings might be D'Addario SS round wounds.
    Haven't got out the calipers yet but they feel thinner than I use.
    Will change once they wear out but really don't want to touch the set up or neck adjustment.
    Have you guys found the Electra series necks to be stiff enought that a guage change won't require an adjustment? Most of my Fender's with a 1 5/8" nut are good with going from lightish SS round wounds to nickel hex core.

15. kasroc

kasroc

Aug 25, 2016
    Yes, I have ‘72 Jazz so I’m aware as well. My action is by far better on that guitar as I tend to like it lower with some buzz.

It’s a really great bass, isn’t it? The sustain and feel of the bass is excellent. Lightest bass I own.

16. I have the same bass in black on black with Rosewood fretboard. I bought it as it was under $1k (AUS) and I wanted a P Bass for a gig. I was so impressed with it that I am now going to pick up a Sandberg VM4 and VM5 as I can only imagine that if the Korean basses are that good then the German ones must be outstanding.

Cuzzie and Jim C like this.
  17. cmebass

cmebass Commercial User

Oct 20, 2011
    Dealer
    tenor.

kasroc, Snibborwocky, Benko and 3 others like this.
  18. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings
    Snibborwocky, Wisebass and I am Soma like this.
  19. FacStudio

Sep 16, 2016
    Worcester, UK
  20. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    MarloweDK is the best bass ever

I am Soma likes this.