1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Clueless with technology

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Raudsarw, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Raudsarw

Raudsarw

Feb 26, 2012
    I'm pretty confident in my playing abilities. I know my theory as well. But my one weakness is technology. One time I tried to figure out why my amp wasn't working for 20 minutes, before the guitarist found out the mute button was on... I know how to set the EQ, but if there is anything else on an amp, I'll have no idea what it actually does. I get a panic attacks during sound checks. Maybe the sound guy will ask me a question I won't know how to answer. I only use a chorus pedal, and not that often. Pedals scare me.

Honestly it makes me feel unprofessional when gigging. Not sure where to start to remedy the situation though. Any tips?

2. Auguste

Auguste

Apr 5, 2012
    Read the manuals and try everything they explain

3. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Your vcr has a blinking "12:00" on it...doesn't it? ;)

4. Garrett151

Garrett151

Mar 23, 2011
    P-bass >korg pitchblack> ampeg

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    A person is wise to keep their setup as simple as they can get away with for exactly the reason you already describe. Every knob and switch that is not there is one less thing that can potentially be at fault when you are on stage with inconvenient lighting and a bunch of people staring at you. Also, if your rig is simple your soundman should not even have any questions about it and you can discuss more interesting topics.

I'm not saying complex rigs, rack systems and elaborate pedalboards is wrong, they just require more attention.

6. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I think it might help if you experiment with the various knobs to see what it does, as well as reading the manual. That's how I managed to understand my amps. I played around with various knobs in various settings because I used to be clueless about how amps work as well.

Nowadays, I wouldn't call myself a techie, but I feel more confident around amps. I find it's a matter of familiarising yourself with the settings so they're not as daunting.