1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Coffee stirrer trick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by darius8, Jul 22, 2012.

1. I came across this when the control plate of my jazz bass was loose because of stripped screw holes. I didn't want to use any glue so I was looking for something less permanent. I know theres probably several solutions out there but I thought I'd just give you guys another option thats less destructive.

I found that coffee stirrers, those little thin plastic straws, fit perfectly in the screw holes. After finding the depth of the holes I simply cut the straw, insert it back in, positioned the control plate and then tightened the screws down.

Hope this is useful info for you.

2. Thanks, matches work too.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    why not use glue?

why deliberately not fix the stripped holes? some wood slivers in the holes (like from starbucks coffee stirrers, or toothpicks) smeared with wood glue, wipe off the excess then crank the plate right back on while still wet, and the holes will be actually fixed, and you won't need to worry about them anymore.

(and yes, the screws will still come right out later, wood glue doesn't stick to metal.)

4. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    Coffee stirrers...
    What a great idea. Thanks!

5. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    Nice trick.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    +1

That's how you do it.

I use toothpicks or wooden matches. Stick a little glue on it, and jam it in the hole. The screw the screw in. Now it's no longer stripped and you will still be able to remove the screw as always.

7. Like I said. I didn't want to use any glue, something non irreversible and that's less destructive.
    It's just another option where you won't feel like your doing any damage. Hey, I found this works for loose pickguards too.

8. Tom_RCJ

Tom_RCJ

Jan 4, 2010
    Cardinal, Ontario, Canada
    Band is sponsored by Trinity Amps and Sennheiser.
    I use kebab skewers, made of bamboo or some other exotic-ish wood I think. They stay permanent even without glue due to their sharp-splintering nature but can be fished out if needed. Been using this for any kind of wood furniture repair. Just be careful not to overfill the hole. That would add too much pressure and potentially split your wood when you insert your screw back in. Although I don't see that being much of a concern in this case.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    +1

That's the proper way to fix it

10. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Toothpicks always get the job done for me.

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Cocktail / sandwich toothpicks....you know, the ones with the little tassels...work best. If they can keep a fully loaded Reuben aligned, they should have no problem handling a control plate or pickguard.

Riis

12. vegedge

vegedge

Jul 14, 2012
    yep i use toothpicks and then wood glue. its also what i think more shops do for quick fixes. works great

13. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012
    This makes senesce to me. kinda like those plastic expansion anchors for drywall.

14. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    in what way is actually fixing a stripped hole "destructive", and why would you ever want to "reverse" the fix? for that matter, how? would you try to deliberately strip it out again?

sorry, but this literally makes no sense.

15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    +1 It makes no sense to me either. :rollno:

16. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Looking for genuine PRE-CBS matchsticks. None of those crappy 70's matchsticks, want to keep it real.

17. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'll sell you some out of my stash from a closed-up '50s diner, only $10 each :D

18. What's the best toothpick for metal?

19. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    A frost bitten blackened doom oriface awl.

20. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products