1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Coheed and cambria, YOTBR

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by faust23, Apr 16, 2010.

1. opinoins before i personally blow a fuse...

2. YOTBR= what?

3. YOTBR = year of the black rainbow. It's coheed's newest album. However I'm confused about what this post is about

4. My guess is that the *blow a fuse* comment indicates the OP's dislike for said band- I'm pretty dense, though.

5. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    care for a third try, Bassteban? ;)

6. It's the wine posting. :)

7. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Eh, the album's alright, I personally like all of their music, but am partial to IKSOSE: 3 and SSTB. Coheed is still one of the few bands that I like every one of their songs, and that's saying alot about a band with 5 full length albums.

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Not their best but it grows as me as I listen to it more and more. For me I'd rank them 3 > 2 > 4.1 = 4.2 = 5.

9. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Yeah, I was the same way, albim really grew on me after my initial distaste, its def their worst effort but by no means a bad album, just not so great compared to the bands previous efforts but still better than most of the drivel being put out these days. Their still my favorite band, didn't think they could do it but the bass is even more in your face than before, I personally dont like mikes tone anymore(too honkey) but its nice to hear bass so high in the mix.

10. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I was surprised when he switched to jazz basses, he'd been playing the spectors since before they were coheed. For a while I remember him keeping a geddy as a backup for detuned songs, but even then it was a p/j spector as his main instrument.

11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I really like it. Definitely a grower, but it's growing quickly. I love what Chris adds to the sound.

12. i think chris overplayed. completely tasteless. im in the eppard camp and will be forever. NWFT was alright without him, but it was very rock and roll, so hawkins did it just fine.

theres a lot of electronic stuff going on. a little too effect laden.

that was first impression, but we'll see how it grows. im an IKSOSE3 guy, personally. if second stage had better production quality, id like it a lot more.

13. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    I agree. I feel josh always had the perfect beat for every song. They started to get less themselves and more overly classic rock influenced through about half of Good Apollo, most of NWFT, and now all of YOTBR.

14. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Lol, yeah that got me too, especially cuz he's one of the reasons I got a spector in the first place, now ironically enough, im about a week away from gettin a lakland, I'll keep the spector as a backup tho just not gaga over the tone anymore.

I kinda agree with you too, I loved the way eppard worked the hi hat and snare like nobody else can, he added I nice lil nuance to the drumming that Im missing. Pennie not a bad drummer at all, he's just average, by average I mean he doesn't have a completely unique style like Eppard's u cant hear anywhere else. On the electronic stuff, I like it, it threww me off at first but I came to welcome it as a part of the evolution of their sound.

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I bought it Tuesday morning and played it in my shop all day.
    Not too crazy about the over production value of the recording.
    The songs are growing on my but I can see myself forgetting about it and listening to the other 4 that I love

16. clutebass

clutebass

Jan 15, 2010
    Cincinnati
    I love how music can affect people in such different ways... Personally I love the new album, but Keeping Secrets is still my favorite. I wasn't a big fan of NWFT right off the bat but grew to love it. This one just hit my ears the right way from the first note... I was a bit worried about Atticus Ross doing the producing because I never really liked the electronic sound he put out with NIN but I was surprised on this record. I thought there was a bit of a Prize Fighter Inferno vibe on a few of the songs which I liked.

17. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think it's a great album! I think Juggernaut may be one of the best riffs/choruses they've ever done, and Mike is definitely well up in the mix throughout.

Far and Pearl of the Stars were PFI songs. I got to talk to them at an instore they did at the Best Buy I work at in NYC. Got to load in their gear and help with soundcheck too! Very nice guys all around.

They did an acoustic version of Juggernaut which was really interesting, turned it into a ballad pretty much.

I think Pennie is awesome, and Guns of Summer is clearly him putting his stamp on the sound. My drummer was in awe when we got to talk to them.

I'll never understand the love for SSTB from so many people. I think compared to most music out there it's great, but it just can't stand up to the rest of the catalog for me. It only gets played maybe every few months, where as all the other records are on pretty much constant rotation through my playlists.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i was listening to them at coachella's web feed just now, and boy did they get screwed by the guy mixing them for the web. no background vocals at all, can't hear the guitars, just a total screwjob. man, you can hear the drums and bass, though.

19. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Oh yeah, those are my faves too, cant get the chorus to far outta my head lately, I'd really love to see them in chicago next month but im about to buy a bass, I just hafta hope I have enough left for tix but I gotta wait til friday to know, I hope they aren't sold out by then, I'd cry, seriously, lol.

20. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Those were my first thoughts too. I preordered this and circas new one so I've been flipping back and forth between the two, definitely prefer the circa album. They did an instore the day before the record dropped, but I had work/class so I couldn't go, but I guess some of the tunes sounded really good acoustic, which kind of fueled my anti-electronic/anti-pennie sentiments. Either way, it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out live. I'm going to the boston show in a few weeks, hopefully it will be good. The last few times I've seen them I've really been let down. Their stage production really grew over the last few albums which is cool I guess, but the tour with Clutch where they had the female backup singers was just too over the top for me.