1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Color or no color?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allexcosta, May 17, 2011.

1. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    When you buy or build a cab, do you look for a cab that's is as transparent as possible or one that adds a color that you like?

Thanks.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I prefer to color outside the lines. And I like a lot of colors.

So I like a cab that has the least amount of tonal limitations.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i look for a cab that sounds good. i couldn't give a crap one way or the other.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    This!

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    This is kinda tricky...

What *is* transparent...? I know, "accurate reproduction of the instrument's sound..." which I dig... but some "transparent" rigs sound better than others...

What I find that I do not like is cabs that *highly* color the sound (the SVT leaps to mind - not wild about the old SVT).

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    A speaker with flat response down to the lowest fundamental of the bass, and with sufficient sensitivity for my volume needs, is larger than anything that I am willing to transport. For the tone quality that I seek, a non-flat speaker is smaller, lighter, and cheaper. What's not to like about that?

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    All cabs color it to some degree, some much less than others. My homebrew's usually end up a little bigger than a company would make with all the small/light craze but not all that much. They are much better braced and light and tuned to not have a big midbass hump like a lot of storebought cabs have. In 2/3 ways I like the woofer to have a slight edge in spl over the mid instead of the other way around, I guess that's a color. Keeps them full/big sounding, not too "modern" but still with plenty of clarity. Takes away the urge to reach for the bass knob, keeps more headroom/power in the amp.

Little color is fine I guess, don't want a lot in any direction.

8. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Interesting replies, keep them coming.

Just trying to understand this "search for the transparent cab" that I see here sometimes.

Myself, I like my cabs to sound good, don't matter how they achieve it.

I mean, does anyone really loves how their bass sounds through a pair of NS10's?

9. To me it's a personal choice. I like the sound of my basses as it comes out of the jack. I've run whatever amp I am using as flat as possible. However the next guy might well think that the tone that I love is horrible and desire the polar opposite. So I think that each and every player should search out the equipment that provides what matches the tone he/she hears in his/her head. If they don't the search for that tone will never end!

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    There's at least one bassist here (not me) who uses a lot of modeling and computer based technology. This person has expressed a desire to have the speakers faithfully reproduce his digital creations. That's one use.

Another use is simply to have what amounts to a level playing field for comparing amps and for exploring different EQ settings, effects, etc.

11. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    I've liked black cabs OK and have warmed to Bag End dark red. Racing stripes might be cool too.

Transparent cabs, on the other hand, would get much too scratched around my place. They'd become translucent cabs. Could look OK though...

Oh, you meant...

Never mind.:oops:

=wr=

12. Only the beasty boys are allowed to have see through Ampeg cabs. The rest of us get tolex. :( Cheers.

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If a cabinet starts with a peaky honky sound, or a big bass hump. It takes too much EQ and may not be possible to get rid of. Companies like Bose, purposely make small speakers and provide eq modules to flatten the sound. And powered PA cabs include EQ to flatten the sound. That's too much work.

New drivers and designs can be reasonable made flat within their frequency range. They don't need to be big, they don't need to be superwide frequency response.

They do need good dispersion.

I don't really care about the fundamental. Many large FOH subs actually don't go down to low B. Or the low notes on a Bosendorfer.

The curve does have to be smooth, so I can freely add color, peaks and honks if I want. And include maxxbass to squeeze out the extra 1 and 1/2 octaves down for the bass. Just like they're doing in FOH.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    if i ever catch any foh guy adding maxxbass to my signal, that will be his last gig with us. nobody ever uses maxxbass for foh bass unless they're in a hip hop band.

15. I agree with Jimmy, to me it is all about the most important thing: the sound. Then other factors like weight and size come into effect and finally looks come essentially last which is generally not too important to me anyways. The Mesa PH6X10 I use now I bought used and it is a little road worn and I kind of did that used worn look though to a brand new clean look.

16. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Which is a cab that measures flat, shows no resonances, has a huge dynamic range(low harmonic distortion) and has a uniform radiation pattern.

17. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I'm assuming your asking how flat we prefer our cabs? I know I typically prefer mine with a freq response that helps cut thru a mix, while still being on the hi-fi side...which is why Berg has been my choice. I like keeping my head as flat as possible, so yeah, I look for my cab to EQ for me.

18. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Wow, my English has gotten that bad?

I apologize... :bag:

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I find that a bit of an odd statement. Since controls are on an amp and not on a cab, wouldn't it make more sense for it to be the other way around?

Hey it's your preference, but I prefer to move a slider or turn a knob on an amp than buy a new cab every time I want to make an alteration to my sound.

But that's me.

20. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I'd say its a balance between transparency and coloration for me. Too transparent and it would just seem a little sterile to me, too colored and it's mud. If all cabs sounded the same, there'd be no reason for me to purchase any specific one and I'd be buying the most dirt-cheap model. I'd rather have a cab that is appropriately balanced in frequency response, won't fart out if I push my amp or shoot an octaver through it, and doesn't cost a damn arm and a leg because it's hi-fi.