combo amp choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GTI, Nov 27, 2003.

1. GTI

Nov 27, 2003
    A quick background before my question. I play a '76 Fender J-bass. Just serious fun playing, nothing pro. I get together a couple of times a month with 2 e-guitarists and a drummer to play rock-blues. My 20+ yr old Peavey TNT amp has finally died and now is in need of replacement. I prefer combo amps for size and convenience. Here is the list that I've narrowed for choices, along with real-world pricing from Musician's Friend. Please comment, pro and con, in regard to the value of these choices and how effective each amp is to my needs, as stated above...thanks

the bass combo contenders:
    Ashdown EB15-150 (watts) @ $449
    Ashdown EB210T-150 (watts) @ $499
    Ampeg BA 210 (220 watts) @ $659
    SWR Workingman 15 (200 watts) @ $699

FYI, I am NOT interested in Fender, Behringer, Rogue, Drive, Yorkville or another Peavey.
  2. If I were you I would go with the ampeg, or the other 2x10 combos. If you could take your bass/effects/whatever you use, to a store with those combos, and try each one out, that will be your best bet on deciding what is right for you. Personaly, I prefer ampeg's tone, but I have never heard an ashdown before.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Among those choices, I second the Ampeg.

If you are playing more classic rock and blues, you may prefer the tone of the Ampeg 115 model.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The Ampeg.

I have not played the others, but I had my eyes on the BA210 combo for over a month. I played on it at our music store a dozen times. It was awesome. The built-in tuner, AND the CD input are slick features I thought were totally cool. I had alot of fun running a CD into it, and playing along with my favorite band!! I was ready to buy it until I got convinced to walk down the power/pre/rack road.

For your situation, the Ampeg will fulfill all your needs. Volume, tone, quality, size, weight, it's all there. Dang, I want one all over again now. Make sure you let us know what you decide, and give us a review after you play on it a few times.

5. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i own the Ashdown EB210T-150 and its ace. really nice. want more detail then PM me.

i cant comment on the ampegs.
  6. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    From your list, I would definitely go with the Ampeg. However, I would also consider a Nemesis NC210-P or an NC112-P. In case you are not aware, Nemesis is made by Eden. I’ve had an NC210-P for 4 years, and have used it heavily for blues/rock gigs. I get compliments on my tone all the time, and people are amazed at how such a small amp can fill a room with such a fat sound. The house bass player at a jam I used to go to bought one, which gave me the opportunity to hear a lot of different basses through it. It provides quite a bit of tone flexibility and has plenty of volume for smaller clubs – it’s more than adequate for jams and rehearsals. Almost always bass players were impressed at how good that amp sounded, particularly given its small size and light weight (under 50lbs). This amp gets more use than any other piece of gear I own.

- John
  7. appler

appler Guest

I played both the SWR and the Ampeg that you have listed at Guitar Center today, lol. There's a little room for error since GC gear isn't always in the best of shape at the one here in central Jersey, but I vote for the Ampeg. It definitely gave me the best tone and I was there for quite a while ;)