combo amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yeggi, Sep 10, 2010.

1. yeggi

yeggi

Feb 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    i just need a combo amp to noodle in my room while im in the military, is it better to have a 210 or a 115? ive heard that a 210 cant hit some lows that its more for midrange. my price range is under 500. thanks!:bassist:

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    First of all, thank you for your service to our country.

All other things being equal (which they usually aren't), a 1x15" cab will go lower than a 2x10" cab. BUT... in real life, the 2x10 cab may actually sound louder and serve you better. There are many, MANY factors at work here.

If you tell us what kind of music you play, where you plan on playing, who all else is in the band, what sort of tone you prefer, and how loud you need to get, then we might be able to narrow it down for you. Also if you have your eye already set on specific brand names, that'd be helpful as well.

Edit: Forgot to add... I know it's for personal practice, but trust me sir, that doesn't ever last long, LOL.

3. Firemedic

Firemedic

Jul 16, 2010
    Acoustic B20. Best small budget amp ever. I got mine from GC in Atlanta for $100.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If I were trying to gig with this combo, I'd go with a 210, but it MUST be able to add an ext cab without dropping power. Otherwise, on it's own, I'd always prefer the 15. You really should test with your ears if at all possible, because even seperating a bunch of combo's by speaker size won't tell the whole story. Best of luck, and be careful out there.

5. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    are you playing a 4 or 5 string? imho 10s are fine for a 4 string for the most part unless your playing nu-metal or something. with that said i currently play 15s and 12s but I would play 10s if the right ones came along.

6. if it's just to noodle on i'd consider a 50 dollar pawn star peavey......even with an eight inch its lots at bedroom volumes and save the difference in price for a gig worthy amp when you need more power

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

If it's just to noodle around in your room, practice, etc. Cheap, used, small practice amp that works. Save your money for the gigging rig. Some of the newer practice amps do have cd inputs, headphone outputs etc. if something like that would benefit you as far as learning cover songs or whatever. Otherwise anything that plays, I wouldn't spend more than $50 on it either.

8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +1 on Acoustic B20. Peavey Max worth considering, also Gallien-Krueger MB112.

9. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    +1 for the B20

But I have the B200 and it's great for home practice and has enough power for band practice too. If we ever gig, it has a DI for the PA and you can add an extension cab too. I use it with a Hartke 210 for extra mid-high tones to supplement the 15". And I have never clipped my amp at band practice and never have turned the volume pass half. You can buy a new one for $349 at Guitar Center. Hope this helps!

Thank you for serving.

10. yeggi

yeggi

Feb 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks! Good to know there are still supporters out there. i wont be needing this amp for gigs and or band anytime soon. i will be using PA systems and house equiptment for our band in the military. i just need something with a nice tone i can use, ill be playing metal/numetal and of course a little slappy. thanks for all your comments!:bassist:

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Not really. Check the specs from the leading manufacturers for their 115 and 210 cabs.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
  13. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    +1 terrific amp, perfect size, affordable.

14. catty

catty

Mar 25, 2006
    Montana
    When shopping for used combos yesterday, I considered an Ampeg BA-115 (~$250, used)...seems like it would be pretty good for a practice amp with small ensemble work potential.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021