Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo for DB on a budget

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Tom Baldwin, May 17, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a combo, suitable for DB, in the $500-$700 range. It's not for me, but for the university where I teach. It has to have enough power to keep up with a big band. It has to be a combo for practicality and durabilty. All of the typical DB stuff is too expensive, so I wonder if I'm searching in vain. One thing that caught my attention was the Eden N28S, a 120 watt 2x8 unit. Anybody have any experience with this, or anything else to recommend? Many thanks.

2. Ampeg PBC-228? 200 watts and another 2x8. Looks like two channels with independent EQ. Anybody seen or tried it?

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    If you can find a used (or new) SWR WM-12, those sound pretty good and are tough as nails.

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    +1

5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I'll give another heads up for the SWR, though I have the one with the 10" speaker. Check the classifieds here on TB.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Chances are, if he's buying for an institution it's gotta be new and has to be carried in at least two local stores so that they can be sure they are getting the best possble price.

Which is why so many small schools end up with Peavey stuff...

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Had one for DB for quite a while, loved it and works great for BG as well. Definitely tough as nails. Much better than the WM10

8. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I'd look for something with a warranty. The amps at my university get broken constantly from being used by so many people.

9. Yes, I have to recommend against the SWR 10-inch ("workingman's 10") if you're going to use it in a big band setting. I play Thursday nights in a big band, and I've got the SWR Workingmans 10, and it doesn't have enough power for a DB to be heard amidst the horns and drums in a big band setting. For smaller gigs it's fine.

I don't have any expeirence with the Workingmans 12 but perhaps it's louder. Good luck.

10. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    The New England Conservatory kept an SWR WM-12 around for visiting artist/general use. It was loud, durable, and fairly easy for anyone to get an acceptable tone out of. So that's, what, +3?
    They make a 15" version too, right? That might also be worth checking out.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    -1. :bag:

They do, and it sounds great for BG, but in my experience with it, they should change the name to "Workingman's Mud" when they sell 'em to DB players. FWIW, YMMW, SOL, ***, IMO, PDQBach, etc.

12. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I'm telling! Moooooom! Chris said the "F" word!

Too bad about the 15", because the 10" sounds terrible too (AAA). One out of three ain't bad, though...Except that the 12" isn't GREAT, but it is a fairly good work-horse kind of amp.

PS I submit "AAA" = "apply appropriate acronym." My little contribution to the breakdown of modern communication...

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Huh? What? I meant "Way Too Fat". :ninja:

14. I haven't tried the new budget Nemesis line (Silver Series) but I gigged with a Nemesis 210 for a few years and found it was a great sounding, reliable unit. I used it mainly for BG, but Nemesis (and Eden) speakers have a fairly neutral hi-fi sound that works well for URB and the preamp has good tone-shaping flexibility.

The Eden CXC110 is another great little combo that works well for BG or URB.

15. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I have the wm10 and wm 12. I've had good success with both. The wm10 sounds better if you use a preamp. I use the sansamp. I think the wm12 is unbeatable at the pricepoint.

16. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    It sounds even better coupled with a SWR 1x10T extension cab.
    Alone, I have to boost the bass pot up to about 3 o'clock, but with the extension cab, I leave the bass pot in the middle, and have a little more power from the amp.

17. Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the WM12 is a popular choice. Any drawbacks or anyone ever have a problem that needed servicing? Thanks again.

18. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I think you can get a new GK150MB from Rik's Music for about $700. Email them for a quote. www.riksmusic.com

19. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I beat the crap out of mine for the better part of 8 years after buying it used. I think one of the inputs started going bad at the very end, but you wouldn't believe the abuse I wreaked on it. When I left school, I just decided it was time to retire it. I put it out on the curb with the trash (IE, nearly everything else in my apartment) and said my farewell.

20. Well, I'm still mulling this over. I can't help be skeptical about the WM12 in a big band setting, being only 120/160 watts.

I'm considering also the Ashdown MAG C210T-300. On paper, it seems to have potential:

300 watts for more headroom
    2x10" drivers for quicker response (compared to 12s)
    3.9M input impedence for piezos
    flexible EQ

Yes, but how does it sound? If anyone has used one, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I guess the wattage thing is only part of the equation, and speaker efficiency must also be a factor.

The only drawback I can see so far is the weight, at 70 lbs., but this is not an issue for us as it will stay in the building and can be put on a dolly for transport.