Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Combo -> Power Amp -> Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oni5000, Dec 26, 2003.

1. oni5000

oni5000

Nov 25, 2003
    Alright, let's say I have a combo that I really like the sound of. Can I take the line out or efx loop send, plug that into a power amp, then from the power amp to a cab?

My goal would be to use the full power of the combo to drive it's own speaker, but send the same eq'd signal out to the power amp and the other cab.

Is this feasible? Or does the power amp need a hotter signal?

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Providing teh siginal is hot enough(which is most likely will be) youll be fine doing that, i have done it, and it works grand.
    Having said that, there is no point using a 30W combo and running into a 1000W 8x10, you simply wont hear anything the combo's speaker has to say. Mabye you want it that way, i dont know....

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    oni5000, does your combo have a switch that allows you to choose a level for the fx send? You'll need a +4 dBU signal for most pro power amps. If the fx loop is only instrument (and stomp box) level, it's only -20 dBV and probably won't have enough juice to drive the power amp.

There is a passive device by Ebtech that supposedly converts a -20 dBV signal to a +4 dBU signal. I'm not sure how it sounds or what its frequency response is.