1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compare Ibanez Models

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kazuya, Feb 27, 2008.

1. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    My friend is looking for his first bass, i told him to get an Ibanez, because their great quality, sound and best bang for the buck. Theres so many models, would it be possible for someone to break down the main points of these models. I have a srx and i love it.
    -BTB
    -SRX
    -GSR
    -EX
    -SR
    -EDB
    -RoadStar
    -ATK

I dont expect someone to touch on all of these, just want peoples opinions on which ones they like the most and why.
    thanks

2. GSR's are the cheapest dollarwise, but by no means "cheap basses" They are fantastic (for the price) though I prefer the SR's. Roadstar's??? You must mean used. I have an "84" Roadstar II.

3. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    here's my vote. i think it's the best ibanez i've played.(at least for the sound that i like)
    IMG_0599.

4. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    SR- You could consider this their "mainstay" bass. Generally have thin necks, and I think these have improved over the years (they stopped just making them from basswood, and the current body shape is a little different from the older ones). Most of the models come with Bart MK I pickups & EQ now. I like that they moved the jack to the top of the body on all the SR models, but I guess they had to because they made the edges thinner and the jack wouldn't fit on the side.

SRX- Sort of the "metal" version of the SR (except, you know, Carol Kaye plays one). The 5 strings have wider spacing than the SR series. Exposed pole humbucking pickups will make these sound different from the SR series, despite the similar specs. Different EQ, too.

BTB- Ibanez's idea of more "traditional," thicker necks and bodies. 35" scale (The SR and SRX are 34"). The more expensive ones have Bart MK II pickups and EQ. The horns are a bit longer on the current models, and some people don't like it.

GSR- Budget line. Look like SRs with next to none of the features.

EX- An older, lower-priced line (though they weren't as low priced in comparison to the GSR line). Basically looked like the old Roadbass (oddly enough, called the "RD" line just like the Roadgear basses), which in turn look like bass versions of the RG guitar line. I always wanted to get a 5 string EX and hot rod it. Basswood bodies, made in Korea.

EDB- The older Ergodynes were made of Luthite. They kept the one shape (the B model), and now they make them out of basswood, maple and ash. I was kind of surprised the first time I saw one of the newer ones in a store because I didn't expect to see a grain on the body. Some current models have Duncan/IBZ pickups; older stuff has typical Ibanez stock junk.

Can't say much about the ATK other than that it's got that neat pickup system that you can get a bunch of different sounds from.

The SR and SRX are good, "safe" choices, and have decent bang for the buck. The SRX series is, for the most part, less expensive than the SR series. If your friend is in the USA, he can probably snag something like a SRX2EX1 for less than $300 at Guitar Center. Sorry for the length.

5. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    The ATK is much loved around here, there's been plenty of threads on them. Heavy beast, but can cover a surprisingly wide range of sounds. I use one for my covers band, and go from P-bass thud to Stingray snarl with ease :)

6. another +100 on the ATK, do some searching. I share a lot of love for mine here on TB, and so do a lot of others

7. bamx

bamx

Jul 2, 2006
    i'll go with the ATK 300, it was my last purchase over a month ago and is fantastic. My previous bass was an SR800 , which I think it fits almost everything while sounding good. But I feel the ATK fits better to what I do which is alternative or punk. If you go ATK try to get the all black one from guitar center, sounds the same as the $500 one but less.

8. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007

Thanks alot everyone, this helped alot, i think in his price range, he'll probably get the gsr line. I have the white srx2ex1, i like it alot. Ill probably check out acouple of sr's and atk's when we go to gc to look for his bass.

9. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    also, if im looking to buy a bass from someone on craigslist or ebay, and they give me and ibanez serial number, can i do anything with it?

Is anyone familiar with SR-690 4 string? One guy is selling it for a good price and its japanese made. Any comments? Oh, are the ibanez p and j type pickups any good? I doubt it. thanks

10. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    Great bass pretty versatile with the coil tap for the MM pup. Medium neck size(34" scale length of coarse). 24 frets. Active bass and treble. I love the look, you or your friend may not think so. They aren't for everyone but a great bass.
    Ibanez does make quality basses for not much money.

OOD likes this.
  11. yansdgr

yansdgr

Feb 22, 2008
    i have the gary willis model nice sounding fretless and the soundgear sr405 nice too and nice preamp sound a lot more than any other bass i try but now im whit fbass :p:p:p

12. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    I like the look of it, just wanted to see if anyone owned one. Cool. I hope i get it. its funny, my friend is supposed to be looking/getting a bass, and here i am getting another one. I just need to get rid of my t.bird. I like the tone of it, but its not for me.

61e0_1.

13. kazuya

kazuya

Oct 26, 2007
    any other owners, or should i start another thread about this bass?

14. RDW

RDW

Feb 5, 2008
    RDU
    I have first generation SR500 (1993) with natural maple body, maple neck, and rosewood fingerboard. Electronics could be better (need to upgrade), but the P-J setup offers a wide range of flexibility from funk to jazz to rock.

When I bought mine (15 years ago) it was a great deal... 15 years later you may be able to do better. I do love the slim neck profile, though. Mine has held-up well, FWIW...

15. groove4christ

groove4christ

Feb 29, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    I have my new 5-string down between the BTB405TK & the SR505. I'm a little undecided between the 2eyebrow:

16. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Beta described very well the various Ibanez series, so I won't do it again. I'll just say this:

1. the higher the number, the better; you might think the differences between the models are minimal, judging by the specs, but trust me, they do sound very different.
    2. you should ask yourself what type of bass do you need: you like a more "classic" (Fender type) tone, or a modern one? You like a thin neck, or a wider one? There are options, but only if you know what you're looking for.
    3. try to test the bass in similar conditions as if jamming in the rehearsal room or on stage (for instance get your amp to the store - some basses sound differently on different amps; also, many basses sound different when played at home practice volume, as opposed to loud band rehearsal volume - in those conditions some tend to fade out in the mix)
    4. as other said: SR is the Ibanez flagship, so it's prolly the safest choice; all the models of the line sound good, modern tone & looks, very thin & fast neck. SRX is the more "metal" version (or the Ibanez version of a MM) - but they have a specific tone which might not work for you (I don't like 'em, but that's a different story). EDB is my current choice - they feature the same quality as the SRs, but the tone is slightly different (the 550 has a very warm bright tone, while the 700 has a darker bassy tone and has the fastest neck I've ever played!). These two series feature high quality components that are hard to find in other basses in the same price range.
    GSR is a very good starter bass, but other than that, I'd go for something different. BTB go in that "love it or hate it" category - many people like 'em, I hated my ex BTB (it felt bulky, the neck was way to wide for my liking, the bridge made intonation impossible; it felt like a piece of plywood - but it was the cheapest model, so...). However they do have a distinct sound and I can see why many people play 'em.

I owned SR, EDB, GSR, BTB. My opinion is based on my firsthand experience with those models, plus several other tested in the local Ibanez dealer's shop. As a conclusion: your choice depends on what type of bass & tone you like, the type of music you play and the gear you use. For instance, I loved my SR500's tone, but it simply couldn't fit in my band's sound, so I had to let it go; the BTB made us sound very "death metal" (which we don't play) so I had to let it go too. After 2 years of experiments, I finally decided to stick to EDBs, because to me and to my band those basses sounded the best FOR OUR MUSIC. In you case, it may very well be something else ;)

Good luck!