compression on double basses

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by dodgy_ian, Nov 13, 2004.

1. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    anyone use compression on their double bass when gigging live thru an amp?

Does any bodyuse it for changing b/w bowing and pizz for example?

Iuse a bit of compression on my electric but have recently begun playing double and was wondering about it really.

PS appologies if this is in the wrong thread but couldn't see a bas effects thread like in the electric bass forum!!!
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use a little compression on all my basses - electric or upright. I use a PreSonus BlueMax preset. Works great. I barely notice it, which is how it should be.
  3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Sometimes I use the one-knob compressor on my Fishman Platinum Bass DI to keep the arco volume from getting out of control--I use steel strings (Pirastro Jazzers) that have a big pizz/arco volume difference. Another option is to use a pedal that has adjustable EQ/volume (I use a SansAmp Bass Driver, something like a Boss EQ would work well too) to adjust offending midrange frequencies and even out volume. Of course, lightening your touch is the first step, but if you're loud enough to feed back it doesn't make much difference.
  4. poalf

Feb 27, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    I used the Platinum Pro for pizz. Where it really helped was reducing the sympathic vibrations on the open strings. Without it I would have to dampen them with left hand to keep them from ringing.