Conklin Retro 9-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jean Baudin, May 23, 2005.

1. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    - Conklin 9-String Sidewinder
    - Dragonwood Body
    - Birdseye Pickguard
    - Birdseye Headstock Laminate
    - Birdseye Maple Fretboard
    - Wenge Binding
    - Wenge Block Inlays
    - Yellowheart/Purlpleheart Neck
    - Satin Black Finish
    - 34" Scale
    - 15 MM Spacing
    - Bolt-On Neck Construction
    - Conklin Pickups
    - RMC Saddles w/ Piezos
    - MIDI Polydrive Module
    - Satin Chrome Hipshot Ultralite Tuners (w/ 1 Droptuner)

Some Words:
    Obviously, the theme behind this bass was to make a 70's Jazz bass, Conklin-Style... only a 9-string. I wanted to give it the feel, but not make it look exactly like one (no jazz body, rounded-headstock, plastic/chrome pickguard, cloverleaf tuners, etc.) so it still looks like a Conklin.

The most striking difference between this bass and my other Conklin's is the weight. It practically floats. It weighs less than my Alembic 6 and my Bongo. The Bolt-on neck is super comfortable with easy access to the higher frets. The Conklin pickups are loud and clear and I'm having a blast using the MIDI (I probably spent 6 hours yesterday going through all the sounds on a Yamaha Motif Rack). The tracking is superb, however certain things I do just won't be picked up and the response on the lower strings are a little slow (I suspected this - and has nothing to do with the construction, just the limits of technology).

Sound samples will be available on my CD :) . Anything sounding like Yanni will probably be coming from this bass. :D :meh: ;)

The bass took a while to make (I ordered this one 11/03) but well worth it. The Conklin 11 should be ready this summer.
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Totally sick man. I love it. I want to do a midi bass with my standard E-C tuning and imagine it would be a blast. I got a motif too actually. :)
  3. Absolutely incredible, Jean. Very nice.

Well worth the wait, I'm sure.
  4. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    That is, bar none, the most beautiful Conklin I've seen to date.

Congrats, Jean!!
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    And yet another beauty!!!

Congrats Jean!

(And still the Conklin 11 and Hideous Claw to come!!)
  6. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    The bass looks really cool!! :eek: Congrats!
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Number of strings be damned, that is one of THE best looking basses I've ever seen! :cool:
  8. Very classy! I love the conklins I have seen here and this one is no exception. I normally don't care for:

1.) Painted bodies
    2.) Pick guards

But there is something about both that really bring the bass together. Love that pickguard!

9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Very nice Jean, Congrats on the bass and the sig series :cool:
  10. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Beautiful bass ....AGAIN. :rollno:

Keep em coming, Jean... :rolleyes:

I'm kidding, of course. You have the most amazing collection I've ever seen. And we still haven't seen ...

(yes, I'm really excited about this one...)
  11. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    That is a great looking bass!

That Mario Bros. thing on your site is great :bassist:
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very cool! A Geddy Lee 9!:D:cool:

Jean, how many customs do you own now?:D
  13. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thats awesome man! Being a signature bass have anything to do with going with parallel frets? I assume if its going to be a production type model eventually that it would be more marketable as such. Just curious :)
  14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    looks real sweet! Congrats on getting your own signature model especially from such a high end guy like Bill. How many ppl can say that eh? :p I'd also like to see a full frontal body shot. and congrats on all the other 5 great customs you got in the last week or so :p

P.S. do you still have that video you made with the airplane landing on the neck of and ERB?
  15. Oh my god ! It keeps getting better. What about a clip with this beast ? :cool:

Congrats man ! :bassist:
  16. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Thanks for the Compliments, guys... the kudos go to Bill, Mike and Chris at the Conklin Shop.

Ask me again in January!

I'm going to need to take some pics of the bass - these were from Conklin, so I'll do some full shots (I didn't realize I left that out!).

I don't have a scale, a rough guess would be about 9lbs. I played a show this weekend, and the guy responsible for the creation of the Hideous Claw was there and he couldn't believe it was made of wood.

You can run it into any MIDI sound module but you need to have something covert it (Roland GR-33 or GI-20, Axon, Yamaha makes one too). There's a 3-way switch (on the pickguard) that sends the signal as 1) Synth only 2) Synth + Bass mixed 3) Bass only... there's a seperate volume for the synth and regular bass so I can blend the volume when using together. I also have another bass output if needed. The second switch I can use to change patches on the synth module. According to the Conklin website, it's $400 for the MIDI Polydrive and it also requires Piezos ($80 per string)... not sure what other companies charge or if a standard bass can be retrofitted (I don't see why not).
  17. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Actually, that was so it would look more "traditional". ;)

Don't remember the link... it's still up though.

Okay, I'm going to play bass now! :D

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Which do you like better as far as playability goes, the "Knee Bee" or this beauty of a Conklin? Do the fanned frets get too tight in the higher register?

19. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
  20. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Knee Bee, Ken Lawrence, This one.... :p :D

Let me know if you ever refind the link, that thing was hilarious.