1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Considering a Squier. Need input.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spent, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Yea

77 vote(s)
    90.6%
  2. Nay

8 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    My current inventory of basses stands at 14. I mostly play Spectors, but recently treated myself to a Fender Aerodyne. I really didn't want to like it as much as I do (long story) but it is an amazing instrument and I've been playing it exclusively for a few months at 3-4 gigs per month. As anyone with severe gas knows, it's insatiable and often illogical, and I have decided I need a white bass. For the past few weeks I've had my sights on a Fender Standard P bass, white with a maple fb. So, I'm being responsible, saving gig money and I'm one gig away from buying one. I recently ran across a Squier '70 Modifed Jazz and I'm intrigued. There are no decent music stores near me, so I'll be buying it online; I like Sweetwater. I'll gladly send it back if I don't like it and have no problem paying a restocking fee, if need be, to insure that my new bass is to my liking. I know the P and Jazz are different intruments, I have an American Deluxe Jazz, and like it a lot. This will be a working bass, albeit only on a limited basis. So how does the quality of a Squier compare to a mim bass? Do weekend warriors, like me, feel confident gigging with one? I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I voted "Yea". However, I often recommend the Classic Vibe Jazz. I had one a little ways back that was absolutely killer…and it comes in white! ;) But I must say, the neck on the VM '70s Jazz is an intriguing number.

I have a project in mind for another CV Jazz someday. As a fan of P/J configurations (no surprise there…an Aerodyne was my very first bass), I wonder what would result from dropping a CV-P's pickup into a CV-J's neck position. You could probably do the same with a VM '70s Jazz. I did something like this on a parts-bass project using a Blacktop Jazz pickguard as the guide. I know, it's not the classic "sweet spot", but that could probably be achieved with a Reggie Hamilton pickguard made by the folks at WD Music.

EDIT: I should elaborate further on your question, though. (pardon my rambling) The CV Jazz I had was easily as well made as my MiM Blacktop Jazz and Classic '70s Jazz. Super solid, but surprisingly light…only 8.75lbs. Also, I recently got to try out a new 2013 or 2014 white VM Jazz (non '70s version). It was surprisingly robust-sounding and felt very nice in my hands. If you want to go for the VM, I would recommend trying to get as new a model as you can.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    h2otorched and Spent like this.
  3. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Like you, Im a Spector lover as well, but I have two Squier VM Jaguars that I gig all the time, and have never had any problems with them. Great basses! The pickups havent exploded, nor have the tuners melted. ;)

Flad, hover and Spent like this.
  4. I would never buy a squier. I wouldn't even buy one for my kid to use as a starter instrument. There are other cheaper basses out there that are a good bang for your buck but I wouldn't put much into a squier. They are just not put together good at all and all the parts are junk and not just the electronics. I have had many basses over the years and a few fenders. One of my favorites is actually a peavey milestone I got for Christmas when I was a boy. Nowadays I took out all the electronics and replaced the with good brand names and Seymour Duncan and dimarzio pickups and it's still going strong. In my opinion it plays better than my old mim fender j bass I sold. Some people say they like Squiers but as with all else it's a matter of opinion and there is mine and I hope it helps.

Spent likes this.
  5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    The Squiers have gotten much better in recent years.
    Some of them are on par with their MIM counterparts

pudgychef, codycon96, Jhclark and 4 others like this.
  6. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for the fast and excellent input.

Malak, I'm a huge PJ fan. The Aeordyne and my Spector Euro both have them as does the Spector Legend I use as a backup. I was thinking of dropping a spare Seymour Duncan quarter pounder (P) I've got laying around into the Squier if I went that route.

7. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    My research has led me to the same conclusion. I had never considered a Squier in the past. Not a gear snob, just concerned about the quality.

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I used to think Squier basses were crap. Maybe they used to be. Years ago...
    I have an early version VM Jazz in natural with Duncan Designed PU's and the satin finished neck.
    Its as nice as my MIM basses, but not as good as MIA.
    Try one out. The Classic Vibe series P's & J's are nice too.

9. 1404863580926. These aren't your dad's squier basses anymore. I gig mine every week and couldn't be happier. Sure, it's made of cheaper components, but for $180 they're impressive. Every bit as good as an MIM. I say give into that case of gas. :)

10. Malak the Mad

Neat-o! Are those vinyl "inlay" stickers? If so, great job lining them up. Also, are those DR Black Beauties or nylon tape-wounds?

I was GASsing for one of the new Affinity P/J's for a while. I was terribly excited when I heard they were being made. I thought they were resurrecting the discontinued Standard P-Bass Specials. Sadly, I prefer a Jazz-sized neck so no AP/J for me, but I can still admire them from afar.

11. mike77rios

mike77rios

Oct 28, 2012
    A few months back I played a mike Dirnt model p bass and it was the best sounding bass I had heard up to that point. The squires aren't bad basses. If you find a good one and every single one is different!

12. You're spot on, they are stickers I got on eBay for something like $7, they really look awesome imo, completes the look.
    And yeah black beauties, love those strings, they look great and sound better.

I was hoping for a jazz neck also, I had never played anything but jazz profile necks, but I've actually found that I prefer the P.

Thundar likes this.
  13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'd buy a Squire VM Jazz or CV Precision before I'd buy a MIM Fender any day of the week. I've tried out several of each and recently missed a VM Jazz in natural with black hardware including bridge and pickup cover for just over $200 because I screwed up the closing bid on ebay. More than likely one of these two basses will be my next bass...they're definitely one of the best basses for the money and the build quality is superior to many of their contemporaries.
    Of course, on Sweetwater you can see your bass before buying from every angle and returns are no problem.
    Definitely get a white one with a maple fretboard…black block "inlays" look great on it…mod it if you need to, I'm a big fan of black hardware on natural or white basses. There are two on there right now, and at $299 you'll be satisfied for sure.
    You'll find yourself using your VM Jazz more and more frequently, I bet.

blindrabbit and Spent like this.
  14. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Giged mine in avatar picture, VMJ treated to a custom tint. Excellent instrument by all standards in my opinion. And yes, i own "name brand expensive" instruments too.

The VMJs come in two variants, i prefer the earlier models with the Duncan Designed pups (mine is a 2010). There was a pup change later. YMMV

15. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Squier Chris Aiken Signature Precision. I added a tone control and a white pearloid pg to mine.

upload_2014-7-8_21-37-32.

16. Agree with the majority of these posts. I recently bought a Squier VM Fretless Jazz, and it's incredible. Not shoddy construction at all. I DO remember these being complete cr@p not so long ago... they've really picked up their game.

maestrovert likes this.
  17. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I was checking this one out too, but I like a tone control. I hate the pg and would swap it out with the same one you did. I like the white inlays on the fb, much prefer trapezoid to dots. Might be a good bass to mod.

18. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Nothing shoddy at all on the Aiken. I'm a Spector guy too, but have been favoring a P or a Kubicki for the last couple of years.

codycon96 likes this.
  19. Malak the Mad

From what I've read around here, it seems Squier re-vamped their quality control somewhere around 2008-ish. It seems to coincide with the creation of the Classic Vibe series and phasing out of the Standard series. It's as if they used the unveiling of their top-quality production line as the impetus to pull themselves out of the "more miss than hit" category, gain some serious respect and get taken seriously by professional musicians.

h2otorched likes this.
  20. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Or a Matt Freeman. Awesome 70s vibe P, just like a CV with a maple fb.

pudgychef and Thick McRunfast like this.