Convert 6 string Bass to Bass VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HotelX, May 23, 2018.

1. HotelX

HotelX Supporting Member

I have a short scale 30" 6 string bass I got from Rondo music. The string spacing is too narrow for me so I never really played it very much.

I'm thinking on stringing it up with some Bass Vi strings instead of buying a new instrument. Is there any problem with doing that? Am I going to damage it in some way by putting improper tension upon the neck? Do I need to change the nut at all?

2. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    No!

As long as you remember to adjust the bass accordingly to fit the new strings, here I am mainly thinking relief of the neck, I can't think of any reason that this should be a problem, other than, even if you say the string spacing is fairly narrow, it's probably still wider than what your typical Bass VI instrument would have.

Bass VI type instruments are great and I plan on acquiring my own at some point.

Good luck.

HotelX likes this.
  3. HotelX

HotelX Supporting Member

Thanks!

I'm thinking the wider string spacing will be good for my particular use. I have a hard time playing guitar because the strings are too close together.

4. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    yes you'll need to change the nut when putting on different gauge strings.

HotelX likes this.
  5. I had a Squire Bass VI for a while and bought a set of strings from Kalium to replace the originals. They have a good selection of stock sets as well as the ability to put a custom set together for you.

Rick B.

HotelX likes this.
  6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Myth.

If you're putting on thinner strings, as OP is talking about doing, most of the time you won't need to replace or alter the nut in any way.

I currently have a 5 with a nut cut for BEADG that's wearing EADGC strings. No issues.
    I also have a bass in piccolo tuning. Each string is less than half the size the nut is cut for. No issues.

HotelX likes this.
  7. HotelX

HotelX Supporting Member

Ok thanks for your input. I would rather not change the nut if I don't have to. I guess I just need to get some strings and see how it works without changing the nut.

lz4005 likes this.
  8. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    hopefully you won't have side to side movement in the nut slot. not knowing how you play, how your nut is cut or what gauge strings you will use, results are uncertain.

HotelX likes this.
  9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Absolutely try it first.

One thing that helps is to wind the strings down to the bottom of the tuning posts. Assuming the bass doesn't have string trees. Not doubling up, of course, but having one neat layer all the way to the bottom of the post will increase the break angle, giving you more downward pressure on the nut slots. That will help the strings not move around or rattle in the slots.

HotelX likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021