Convert Fender Deluxe 112 combo to closed back/ported?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andyjevans, May 12, 2016.

1. andyjevans

andyjevans

Jul 18, 2010
    I have one of these combos. Open back, one 12" speaker. It's a guitar amp with reverb unit. I use it for my fretless bass, and was wondering about converting it from open back to closed box or ported. Possibly changing the speaker unit. Interior volume would be about 26 litres. I haven't had any problems putting a bass through it and don't play too loud - use it for rehearsal jazz band and gigs in smaller venues.

May be a case of "leave well alone......." What are your thoughts on this?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Which model Deluxe is it, exactly? If it a "real" (tube) one, closing the back up is a non-starter, IMHO.

3. andyjevans

andyjevans

Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    OK, IIRC that's actually called a Deluxe 112 Plus and is not a "real" Deluxe as most people would think of it. Not that there's anything wrong with that. [​IMG]

I'd definitely figure out a solution that still allows air circulation for the head part. That amp is worth about an order of magnitude less than what I was envisioning, but I still wouldn't want to let out the magic smoke.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021