1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cool things to say between songs

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mru2, Apr 8, 2009.

1. mru2

mru2

Jan 17, 2009
    Los Angeles Area
    So we got a gig at a local sports bar coming up playing classic rock, blues, etc. It's a first for at least two of these guys and I'm thinkin' "deer in the headlights" syndrome might be in effect. Looks like it might be up to me to keep some kind of a flow goin' with the crowd. Lookin' for suggestions on some cool things to say other than, "the drunker you get, the better we sound" type stuff.:bassist:

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    don't say anything - just keep it moving. segue

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Go Cubs!!!

G

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    There is nothing you can say between songs that counts as "cool" - except maybe for nothing at all. And definitely not any of the usual cornball patter... :eyebrow:

Sorry to burst yer bubble, champ. But people going to a sports bar aren't typically going there to listen to the cover band. Best thing to do is make the music groove as best you can, and just keep it coming.

In a way, this realization should help you and your mates to just relax and go with the flow. The heat's off. No stress... :cool:

MM

5. B4snrise

B4snrise

Nov 26, 2007
    Earth
    +1,000,000,000,000,000,000 :D

6. i dont sing- so- no mic- no voice. however- at bars- its always nice to throw out one "thank the bar/wait staff/etc." its respectful- and the more drinks they sell- the happier they are- which means theyll probably invite you back. ive seen some bands get absolutely obnoxious (hack) with trying to push booze though.

7. pbassturk

pbassturk

Jun 22, 2008
    georgia
    IME barflys don't give a rip what you are or what you play as long as what's in front of em is cold. Just relax, take the night off and groove yo ass off. Then watch all the drunk bobble heads and giggle yourself to sleep. at least that's what i like to do at "those" gigs. Oh and don't be surprised if they stare at ya'll wondering if they should clap.:eyebrow:

8. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    Dinosaur Jr once played with a loop going between songs that said "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" over and over until they started playing again. It was funny at first, but got annoying quick... which made it even funnier (to me, anyway).

But yeah- segues are the way to go.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I dissagree totally with just about everybody before me. I have seen some amazing cover bands get NOWHERE with the regular crowd at the bar just a couple of hundred yards from my house. They don't get the crowd INVOLVED. Because I have also seen one of the WORST bands ever go in there a kill 'em! They got hundreds of dollars in tips. They were asked at the end of the night how soon they could come back, and offered a raise by the bar owner (and how often does THAT happen these days). The difference was that the second band was CLEVER and they got the crowd involved. There are a lot of jaded guys on this forum. Don't blame them. The world has made them that way. They think that if you have any fun, or get rowdy with a crowd, that you are selling out even more than playing in a cover band. Just relax and be yourself. Make a big deal out of those two newbies early on. Say something to the crowd about how kickass they are or something to that affect. Good luck! Cheez it up! Knock 'em dead!

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Between song banter can be good and it can SUCK - however, one thing that ALWAYS sucks is if the band is acting frightened. The singer has the job of at least providing *some* segue between tunes - unless you guys can really hammer those songs back-to-back-to-back with a quickness.

One thing I might suggest is to not have the singer draw the band in too much - you guys aren't rock stars, you're bar musicians (nothing wrong with that - I'm one too!). No need to fawn over the guitar player or the drummer, ya know?

"And don't forget to take care of the lovely ladies serving you tonight..."

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You have to embrace some degree of onstage personality, whether it be witty banter, introducing songs, introducing band members, etc. Keep it brief and light so it doesn't disrupt the flow.

Riis

12. be art house.

between songs just say seemingly random extractions of obscure sentences.
    do two songs without saying anything as an opener and then approach the mic lazily before saying 'the cobbler stood up and cleared his throat' then immediately go into song three. follow that with 'licorice and pineapple is a flavor not to be tested'.
    then at some random break between songs say 'and then she said'.

13. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    'ello Cleveland!

dont know what it is from? shame.

14. talk about whatever team they've got playin' on the tube and how awesome the city is. Dont talk too much but just drop some stuff in. tell em to tip the bartenders and what not. Get the audience involved but don't ramble on, they came to drink and hear some music.

15. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    IMO IME 99% of anything said in a mic on stage in between songs shouldnt have been said. Play. Gig. I LOATHE when our band tries to chatter and yap into the mike. I HATE dead time between songs and think it is unprofessional. It also opens up the opportunity for the dreaded "licks", non-muted tuning, and other key tapping and string plucking.

ALL HORRIBLE IMO.

Play. String songs together.

pre-edit edit: If you do originals, tell the band about the song or what it means to you etc. Situations that are relevant etc.

For covers... shut up and play.

.02 IMO etc.

16. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

I added the bold. IMO leave it to the lead vocalist.

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Now that's an idea... Recite random disturbing mental-institution or holocaust poetry between songs... Read the ingredients for pesticides... Hum TV theme songs...

Of course, if this is a bar that demands more Skynard, you might get throttled...:D

18. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    We (the band), usually play 2 or 3 songs at a time and typically just say just little tidbits or name the songs. Durring smaller gigs the band is a bit more vocal.

19. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    If you don't know how to "work" a crowd go back to the garage!

My female singer and I (we front the band) have a whole series of themes we work up, never the same twice so as to keep it fresh. The banter between us keeps the crowd up and going she rags me, I rag her hell people think we are a couple! :rollno: I have had more venue staff tell us that we are great fun to watch and listen to because of the interplay between us.

:meh: ... Or you could just mutter thank you between tunes and be done with it :scowl:

20. Why does it burn when I pee?