Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cort Curbow 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Feb 19, 2005.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Does anyone own or have played one of these Curbow 4 stringers ? To me, the width of the fretboard in the mid and higher frets toward the body look awfully wide. Or is it just an illusion of the photos ? Presumably its also a 34"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I believe its just an illusion; they have a very small body which might make the neck look large. It's actually fairly standard.

3. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Thanks pal

Do they have side fret markers to your knowledge ??

4. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yes, they have side markers!
    I bought one cheap off Ebay and I turned it into a piccolo bass before cannibalizing it for a bass project.

The string spacing is 20mm at the bridge which took me a bit of getting used to. I would often miss the next highest string because I wasn't extending my finger's reach far enough to play it.

The neck is very thin and plays fast. The tone is kinda "synthetic" IMHO for lack of a better word. It has a great slap tone, though. It is a 34" scale and the body is small and thin.
    Stapped on, it balances well but sitting, ugh. The lower horn is tiny and makes the bass uncomfortable by digging into the thigh.

If you can get one around $250-$300 I'd say it's a good deal. More than that, I'd see what else you can get for the money.

Jon

5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Again, thanks for swift reply. I did a search for " curbow " and though theres a few threads, the answers were not quite there, so thanks for that.

Do you mean 20mm string spacing between each string ? That seems huge !!!!!!!!!!

Seems to be a mixed bag on the Luthite body and ...whats that fretboard,.. " Ebonol " ???
    Some love em, some dont.

Some member said roundwounds scratch the Ebonol

6. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i owned one back in the day. i wouldnt pay more than $200 for one now though. they are fairly light and the neck was decent, but there are better basses for the money IMO. i never had too many problems with it until the end of its life where the fretboard started coming unglued, which i got repaired, and then they truss rod went bad...at that point i traded it to a music go round for a cab. but, to answer your question, the width of the fretboard was pretty normal if i remember correctly.

7. Maybe a little off-topic, but I own an earlier Cort, copy of the Steinberger.

Its pretty ordinary as far a basses go, Cort were a budget brand early on.

Have Cort upped their quality and now a respectable brand? I mean, don't get me wrong, the Cort steinberger copy is probably as good as any ibanez, carvin, squier of the same price point..

8. I own a Curbow and rather like it.

I think I might end up selling it for a better bass at some point, though.

9. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Is 20mm at the bridge a normal spacing ? Thats over 3" across the 4 strings !!! Gorilla hands required :cool:

10. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    19mm spacing is typical on a 4 string. As the number of strings increases, players have some choices, either narrow (17-18 mm) or wide (a full 19mm).

The neck does feels quite comfortable but yeah, the spacing was an issue for me, I have small hands.

Jon

11. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Me too Teach - hence the gasp !! :eek: