Corvette standard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Nov 9, 2003.

1. First of all: Hi!

And then second: I'm thinking about buying a warwick corvette standard. I like the sound of it alot, but I wonder if any of you have any experience with it, and know something about it. Do you like it? How is the quality? I really don't know anything about basses..So I'm grateful for all help I can get!

Thanxs in advance
  2. I messed around with the 5 string at the store. It was very sweet, nice tone, and killer looks. But, it was real heavy, and the neck profile is pretty thick.

That thing's a tone monster that's for sure.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i own and have a love/hate relationship with an active corvette standard.

what i like:

it's a beautiful bass

it has great action

it's the deepest sounding bass i've ever heard

it has the "growl" that warwick speaks about

it feels really solid

it records excellently

what i dislike:

it weighs a real lot and it got to me after a while. mine is made of bubinga, which contributes to the depth of the sound. i believe they also make it in a lighter wood which is what i'd choose if i bought it again, but that would definitely take away from the sound.

the electronics are REALLY hot. i rarely boost the bass past the mid-point, and usually have to roll off almost all of the highs.

my playing style (i dig in hard) and the electronics tend to give me clackey sound that i still have a rough time taming.

i'd suggest playing them as much as possible, playing lots of other basses, seeing what basses you like the sound of in other bands. checking also what feels comfortable. warwicks necks are different from most basses, and i've been in denial for a while that my warwick hurts my wrist like many other bassists have said. the neck is more narrow than most, yet thicker. hence the call em baseball bat necks.

last note - if i were to buy a warwick again, i think i lean more towards a thumb because of the weight and the fact that the sound has less bottom and more midrange (i think)- or one of the jazzman basses because of their versatility. they cost a bunch more though - i think think it would be worth the extra wait to save for it.
  4. Thanks for fast answers!

I would also save for a jazzman, but I can get this corvette used for a pretty good price. And you know: used warwicks aren't too easy to get your hand on here in Norway. And i surely can't afford buying a new one.
    But once again thank you for the advices, so far!
  5. Joe Nerve- Try lowering your pickups if you tend to dig in. The clackety sound will likely go away if you lower ur pickups. If you said you play soft and you weren't getting enough tone, I'd tell you just the opposite-raise 'em.
    Its amazing what a little tweak with a screwdriver can do.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    thanks. i hate to admit that that never occurred to me because of course, i know everything. :D i have my pickups as close to the strings as possible right now in fact. hope your suggestion works.
  7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I think that you should save for the Jazzman man ;);). I mean, I would rather have that probably. But I would have to sit down and feel which one is more comfortable. They are both good quality, and the Corvette Standard is really well built.
  8. I love my warwick standard. Before you buy it try it with a strap and if you can with your amp.
  9. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    The Corvette Standard is a great bass: well made, terrific tone. I have a fretless that is sweet as heck. If you have an opportunity to get one used for a price you want, I'd go for it. I just spent $800ish for mine new.
    They ARE really heavy, though. If you are gigging and it is your only bass, you might want to get something else that won't kill your back. If you are going to play it a lot at home, you can sit and play it. It will be great for home recording, too. It is a bass that would be great to have around for that tone. You'd probably keep it and get others, too (gas being what it is...)
    Let us know what you decide.
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i don't have a standard but i do have a corv pro 6. it has barts and the mec pre. i use ken smith SS strings.

the tone is awesome and the neck feels great.

the only problem (which really kills me) is that this bass i a neck diver (even with hipshot ultra lites). i'm trying to get someone to make an aluminum extension to get the upper button strap closer to the 12 fret.
  11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have a Corvette Standard, and I love it. One of the best playing basses. I have an older version that has the brass nut and all-wenge neck (pre 1998). I like the older ones better. The neck profile is more comfortable to me. Also, the bubinga seems to be of a different type (mine's darker). This model has passive pickups, but they still sound great.

I suggest playing one. You'll either love the tone or hate it. I love the tone of a Warwick, and i find that nothing else can get that tone. Also do what soundoholic suggests, and try it with a strap. Some complain of neck dive, so try it on and see how it hangs from your shoulder.

In short, I love my Warwick Corvette Standard. But, your mileage may vary.
  12. if you're worried about the weight, I wouldn't go for a Thumb...

try the upper end bolt-on Streamers (pro-M, LX) they are awesome...that's all I use anymore. You'd be able to find a used one for around $1000.
  13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
  14. My mistake was I bought a Passive Corvette, and the B sounds like complete CRAP!

So I think when I have some time, i'm going to swap it for a C.
  15. scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    I love my Corvette 5. Mine is considerably lighter than the bubinga as it is ash. I beleive the ash active corvette are maybe more common in Europe than the US (I got mine in Australia).

As a comparison, I have owned 2 musicmans 4&5 and I am as happy with the corvette as I was the musicmans. Obviously completey different bass but comparable in quality of build and quality of tone if you get my drift.

Very punchy bass :D Some people don't believe I have an 'ash' corvette so here it is.
  16. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I remember seeing that. Looks nice!