1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could I run my passive bass through a guitar delay?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Domi, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Domi

Domi

Apr 5, 2017
    Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and I have some questions regarding effects. I currently play a Fender Standard Jazz Bass (No mods) and I was wondering if I could run it through a guitar delay. I own an MXR Bass Envelope Filter so I was thinking I could run my bass through the MXR then through the delay. I've been told by some other musicians that I could use guitar pedals with my bass but it will make the tone thin. If I used the delay with the envelope filter, (Set to give my bass a fatter tone) would it work as a substitute? Thanks! :bassist:

2. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    As a general rule, an effect is an effect. Guitar, bass, doesn't matter.

A delay pedal falls into that category. It simply sampling what you played, and repeating it.

3. Domi

Domi

Apr 5, 2017
    Thanks! After doing some more research I feel more comfortable with purchasing a guitar delay (And maybe some other guitar pedals) and trying it out!

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i've had really good luck with the moog mini mf delay for both :)

5. Domi

Domi

Apr 5, 2017
    I'll check it out!

mpdd likes this.
  6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    You have to be careful with guitar specific pedals like overdrive and distortion. They tend to lose low end. A delay just repeats whatever you put into it. Some have tone shaping on the repeats, and it's actually better to have the echoes lose some low end, but any delay pedal should work for bass. Your initial note should pass unchanged, it's only the delays that may or may not sound different based on the type of delay.

Domi, Gearnerd, Crater and 2 others like this.
  7. Domi

Domi

Apr 5, 2017
    I'll definitely keep that in mind! Thanks!

8. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    The Boss DD delays and the MXR Carbon Copy sound good with bass!

Domi, HolmeBass and fly agaric like this.
  9. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Yeah, i used a bunch of delays without ever having problems.
    Some guitar specific Effects work well on bass. An example is the MI Audio Blueboy Deluxe.
    It has a knob for midrange, which is completely useless when used with a bass, but it also has a tonestack that will amplify the lows all the way down without any loss of lowend.
    Some pedals do that. Some don't. Sometimes it's cool even if they do. It's a minefield ;)

Domi likes this.
  10. The Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master has both delay and reverb. Excellent pedal for bass and can do one or the other plus both at once if you desire.

Domi and HolmeBass like this.
  11. Delays tend to be pretty universal. There really aren't any bass specific delays or guitar specific delays. They are all the same. The pedals that tend to be more bass specific are dirt pedals (overdrive, distortion, and fuzz) because bassist typically like to have some clean signal blended in, envelope filters can be designed specifically for bass doesn't mean guitarist can't use a bass envelope filter it just means it was designed with bassists in mind. A lot of bass chorus pedals are a little different than guitar chorus pedals because they they have a crossover type feature which allows you to set the range of the effect. This can be useful to get a more noticeable effect while keeping the low end from getting too muddy. But it's often not that necessary and a lot of bass players prefer a chorus that was designed specifically for guitar. Whenever I've used chorus I tend to stay away from the lower strings anyways.

Domi likes this.
  12. fly agaric

fly agaric

Jan 18, 2016
    Just to echo what's been said here: I have not had many problems using my DD-6 for bass.

Domi likes this.
  13. Short answer: YES

Long answer: Yes, you could :D

Domi, tnicholson1138 and tfer like this.
  14. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Other "guitar" pedals I use/have used on bass:
    Boss CE-2
    Boss OC-2 Octave
    Peavey AOD-2 overdrive
    Fulltone Choralflange
    Fulltone OCD
    Dunlop 535 Wah
    Caline Pure Sky (Timmy overdrive clone)

I think you get the idea :D Just use your ears!

Domi likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love my MXR Carbon Copy on bass. Just wish I had more use for it. Worked it into a couple songs in my original instrumental band, but so far that's it.

Domi likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I use both a Catalinbread Montevillian Echo and an old BOSS RDD-10 delay with bass. They sound great (to my ears.)

If you're into vintage analog delay (and have really deep pockets) an old tape Echoplex or the "rare as unicorns" Binson Echorec are also very bass friendly. (There are some decent modern pedals that emulate them rather well if you like that sort of sound.)

Domi and Spidey2112 like this.
  17. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    man try the Carbon copy, carbon copy bright, or the TC Ditto looper

Domi likes this.
  18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Love my Carbon Copy.

Domi likes this.
  19. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Yes!

You can run a bass through any pedal designed for guitar, some might work better than others though.

Delay being one of the effect pedals that usually works just as well for bass as guitar.

Domi likes this.
  20. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    DD-7 is a winner for me

Domi likes this.