1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could someone please explain this? $770 practice amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by t77mackie, Jun 13, 2012.

1. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Markbass-Micromark-50W-1x6-Bass-Combo-Amp-105472559-i1395933.gc

Markbass 50 watt combo bass amp with one 6" speaker that lists for $770?!?! Granted is sells for $480 but still!!??

Who is going to buy this? Are there really that many super-rich people who want God's own practice amp?

Another thing I noticed about Markbass is on their web page the link for endorsers is before the link for products?

I'm new to this company and don't know anything about them so what's the dealio??

:meh:

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I wondered the same thing. It is perfect for a small practice amp and looks really cool.

I have played one and it is much better than I could have imagined. Good tone and surprisingly loud.

If it was $199 I would own one.

3. ridiculous. Can buy a decent used half stack for that much

4. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Ah, No.

5. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
  6. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    I am glad some stuff is getting smaller and get good sound but this is starting to go to far.

to me, with out any practical application.........I would say these are a WOW factor and impulse buys more than some thing usefull in a band setting.

7. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    As far as practice amps go, I'd rather have 15 watts out of an 8" speaker than 50 watts from 6". Typical 15 watt jobs go for $99. For a 50 watt combo, you could easily get one with a 12" speaker for under $300.

This amp seems unreasonably priced and ill conceived.

8. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    i want one..

9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Plenty of people have rigs costing more than don't go past the practice stage. This upgrades the sensible from them by being sensible sized.

10. frost

frost

Jun 7, 2012
    I had once the little mark bass amp. Bought it used but as new. Honestly,i dont really liked it, it was too plastic for me. Then i went to the local dealer to check some other "Markbass" pruducts,and guess what? I bought Hartke.
    Make your own conclusion 'cause in the end it's up to to you and on your ears. Hhh

11. Of course, the list price means nothing. NOTHING sells for the list price.

Markbass is a top of the line company. Fantastic stuff. This product fills the niche for those who want top quality sound and quality in a rig that doesn't need to be loud. I paid basically the same amount for top of the line headphones and a high quality headphone amp.

I don't understand the issue here. If it doesn't fit your needs, then don't buy it:)

12. Hey bro. I have been playing Markbass stuff for a long time now(I am actually looking at a possible endorsement from them) and have always been very happy with them.

I agree that this is a really high price for this combo but I have noticed that their stuff seems to be quite overpriced stateside. Here in europe some of their stuff are a lot cheaper.

However from what I understand this is not just a practice combo since its features far more interesting than most other practice amps out there. I honestly think that they were going for ''Markbass'' amp for small gig. Maybe not that useful for most guys but still....

13. +1

It wouldnt be on my GAS list, but I have spent more on single pieces of gear. There are lots of guys that spend 10 times as much on a bass, ore 6-7x on a cab.

Tonal quests are bound by no budget. Some times they even lead you to using a short production run tube head that weighs three times as much as the boutique cab its driving.

14. +1 and well put!

15. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
  16. its the companys,, mark bass is up near number 1 and so they can over charge us in the U.S. because of the name,,, I believe eden did the same thing when they got big and then eventually outsourced everything and lowered the prices and now the rep is gone. no offense to the Markbass lovers but sounds good or not,,, me personally that yellow is nasty ugly and the name itself ,, I hope its not because someones name is actually Mark because if thats true then thats just too goofy..

okay though because I'm a goofball and jealous that someone named Mark thought of it first so if i ever get my hands on one of these Mark heads like that tube model they have I wouldn't mind re-painting the whole front of the amp in flat black and then have my buddy who prints on electronic displays re-print all the lettering in a different language maybe arabic in white and then using the same font as Markbass change the name on it to "Ted Bass", that would be pretty cool when I say "No its a Tedbass" a new company on the east coast and just mess with peoples heads..

17. Thanks for the Phil Jones pic! From their website, their stuff looks pretty nice. I'll have to look for Phil Jones threads on here. I see that their big big cab is supposed to have a 20Hz cutoff, so it would sound a B or even an F# - but most of their other cabs and combos list 35Hz or 40Hz cutoff, so they wouldn't sound the fundamental of a B string. (That's another thread (or 20) too.)

18. Mark Bass is actually more expensive in Europe than here.

LMK III head:

Germany : 675 Euro (almost $850)
    http://www.thomann.de/de/markbass_transistor_bass_topteile.html

Italy: 679 Euro ($854)
    http://www.thomann.de/it/markbass_testate_bassi_a_transistor.html

USA: $599

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Markbass-Little-Mark-III-Bass-Amp-Head-105313696-i1446639.gc

So good ol' US of A, gets cheaper Mark Bass products than Italy from where the company is located and a lot of their stuff is actually made.

19. Ignore those 'cutoff' specs. Most likely, they are -10db.

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Since you felt the need to use the totally meaningless MSRP instead of the actual price to draw attention to your thread, I guess you didn't think the amp was all that outrageously priced.;)

In any case, I'm not a fan of Markbass, but a lot of their amps seem reasonably priced given their output and features.