1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Counterfit Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Calaverasgrande, Apr 10, 2010.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    that doesn't look like any ampeg cab that i've ever seen, so to me, it's not really a counterfeit, it just looks like they put an ampeg logo on it.

2. Not saying the seller is shady. Mayne they dont know any better. I have seen much worse!

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Well said and +1

4. Hi.

+1, well said.

Way, way more common with Marshall cabs.

Regards
    Sam

5. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I don't think ampeg makes a 2x12 cab. Someone put an ampeg logo on that cab. the grill cloth looks wrong. its not coated in tolex. and the corners are square usualy they are slightly rounted with a router before the chrome metal corners go on. its not a bad price for a 2x12 cab i would say ask the guy if he will drop the price since its definatly not an ampeg cab

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    you can't put anything past ampeg, though. they had a lot of short run stuff through the years. but it definitely doesn't look like any ampeg styling i've seen except the logo, so i'd bet against it my own self.

7. here is a pic the seller sent me of the back.
    Looks kind of fender-ish to me?
    Ampeg%20back.

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it actually looks more like a Sunn to me. although Sunn never used round ports.

9. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Yah, I was thinking Sunn, early '70s.

10. could be one of many local/house brands.....garnet stuff made here looked like that,with a different grille cloth

11. my thoughts exactly. Early 70s Sunn. Better than Ampeg, IMO.

12. I've seen hiwatt cabs with little round ports like that. Except you cant see it thru the normal hiwatt grill cloth.
    The back looks fenderish to me. Reminds me of the bassman 2x15 I used to have. Same kind of cup for the jack, same kind of screw pattern and rear loaded speaks.

here is a pic of the front so you guys dont have to go to the link.
    ampegphony.
    and wouldn't an ampeg logo be on the upper right side?

13. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I'm pretty sure it's a 1969-1970 Sunn Sorado cabinet. If it measures 40" X 24" X 15", I'd be practically positive that's what it is.

Up until 1972, Sunns only came matched with a specific cabinet, you couldn't but a head alone. You could buy an additional "extention" cabinet, but a "200S" was a head and a 2X15 D140F cab, a "100S" was a head and a D130 and a JBL LE100 compression driver, a "Sceptre" was a head and a 4X12, etc., no mix and match from the factory.

The Sorado was the 200S head, but labeled "Sorado" and paired with a circular ported 2X15 loaded with 15" "Sunn Transducer" drivers instead of the JBL's.
    It was like an entry level 200S, in 1969 it listed for $670 instead of the 200S's $995.

Sunn's were never cheap; to put the pricing into perspective, a new Ford Maverick stickered for $1995 in 1969 (which is what a full Sunn 2000S rig listed for in 1969), and the US median household income was only $8389 as compared to $46326 in 2009.
    Nobody that wasn't pro or very serious could really afford one, which probably explains their rarity today.

I still wonder why the cabinets are much more rare than the amps, since you couldn't buy the now much more common head without at least one cab.

14. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the Ampeg logo was always on the upper left side, although it never is mounted that close to the edges.
    but i beleive that Ed is correct about it being a Sunn Sorado cab. it has Sunn type corners & jack cup on it, and it appears to be constructed exactly like a Sunn to me.

15. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    I think it might be worth way more than 200$.

16. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If it was loaded with JBLs or EVs it might be worth $200, but they for sure aren't JBLs, and the only way to know if they're EVs is to pull the back. Otherwise it's just a box with an Ampeg badge on the front and who knows what inside.

17. wether its a ampeg or not id still buy it

a cheep 2x12 would do me fine

18. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, I pretty sure that's a Sunn 200s cab or something of the sort. The jack cup, screws on the back, and small circular ports all point to a 200s, or identical cab (though it may have been labeled differently). That, or it's a homebrew that's a perfectly sized down Sunn cab made for 2x12s

However, the ports look to far apart to be like any Sunn cab I've seen. Maybe it's not the 200s, but I know one of their cabs had circular ports like that, but the ones on this cab just look spaced to far apart. So I have no real idea. It just strikes me as distinctly Sunn, I just cannot place the model name.

19. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Aren't we missing something more obvious? I mean an old-time "rear-loaded" cab with a modern ampeg logo? Even if it was an old ampeg cab did they even use a logo like that on them then? When did everyone start front-loading cabs?

And just because you give the store a counterfeit $100 bill and you don't know it doesn't mean its not counterfeit.