1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

covering the shuttle 6.2 "tube display slit"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Jan 5, 2016.

1. every night one inch of dust and dead insects cover everything in this city!! (well maybe ok not one inch but we have a LOT of dust)

so is it a bad idea to close this off some how? if it is ok to do that then how do i do it nicely?

right now i zapped a mosquito and it fell right through that slit and was now sitting on top of the tube!! i tried to get it out using a tweezer but it fell of somewhere else. the amp was off. i hope a dead mosquito wont cause a short circuit inside the amp? it sounds funny but this really just happened! i dont want to blow up my first amp head that i just got a week back you know, although i think it is not likely to happen but hey probably better if i ask?

full.jpg

2. this has a scratchy volume pot, so i need to open it and spray some contact cleaner anyway. i might as well do it now and vacuum out all the dust etc before taping up the opening? is there something in particular i should be careful about when opening it up? @agedhorse

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The term "bug" when used with technology comes from a bug flying into some electronics.
    If the mosquito wasn't full of blood it probably won't matter. Wait until it drys out.
    I'm guessing the slots are more for show than for cooling, but some bug screen would probably bee fine.

thehangingmist likes this.
  4. bah hum"bug" LOL it makes sense now! i need to learn more 'American' maybe hehe.. i think most insects we do not identify would be called bugs? anyway i digress.. cool but you know the bleddy bug could be sitting on something that gets hot, am pretty sure it is right by the side or underneath the tube now

5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Yes, it's a bad idea to close the slits, as they allow for necessary ventilation. But I do understand wanting to keep insects out as well. Maybe use some kind of mesh over it?

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    No harm in covering the slots. All of the critical ventilation is handled by the vents on the left and right of the main chassis.

When cleaning the control, use only a tiny amount of Caig DeOxit D5 into the slot in behind the terminals. Really, only a tiny amount. Less is more in this case, and only DeOxit D5.

7. Thank you. Silly question.. but if i dont get to opening it,should i be concerned about the dead mosquito inside? If at all then I'd get this done before i have to play next.

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    No worries. Your amp is dead mosquito resistant. Spiders, especially big black ones with a red hourglass on its underside not so much ;)

9. haha gee! thanks!

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Sorry, I forgot you were from New Delhi. I'm sure you have your own special creepy-crawlies there, the spiders I have encountered here on occasion.

11. i met a lot of spiders in the states too because i was in the woods. in new delhi only humans survive out in the open ;) and mosquitoes one gazilion mosquitoes

kesslari and agedhorse like this.
  12. Oh great, now I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. Moving my Shuttle amp to the other room... ;)

Btw, I am surprised you can cover those slits. I know preamp tubes aren't always set to run hot but still surprising it gets enough ventilation without the slits. You'd certainly be the one to know, no doubt. Just surprises me.

OP - on *any* amp, you can cover the ventilation holes completely, when the amp is not in use. So if your amps collect dust (as mine do for a different reason...), just cover them when you're not using them. (wait till they cool before covering them back though)

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Why don't you take a peice of fine micro screening mesh and secure it to the underside of the slits.

s_s-400_001250112awebready.jpg

Oddly and FrenchBassQC like this.
  14. This is why a lot of people keep amps in covers when not in use. But don't permanently seal it up.

chaosMK likes this.
  15. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I am envisioning a ridiculously expensive appetizer at a trendy, righteously pretentious NY, LA , Parisian, Berlin (or other) bistro:

Delicate Delhi bug, exquisitely, individually, vacuum tube micro-grilled for your gustatory pleasure, served with a drop of pomegranate reduction.
    Suggested beverage pairing: Taylor-Fladgate 1977 vintage Porto.

16. Just a thought... If that mesh is electrically conductive you might want to rethink that idea or be sure it's not in contact with anything it shouldn't, or drop in the amp gutz over time and cause a short or worse...

SirMjac28 likes this.
  17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Good point I think you can also get it in fine nylon mesh.

a1222-3.jpg

Pimmsley likes this.
  18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The primary ventilation is located on the left and right of the amp, it's flow through. The slots on the top are primarily cosmetic, and give secondary indication that the amp is powered up from the blue light behind the tube.

kesslari likes this.
  19. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Great. After reading this I spent two hours hunting and flipping over spiders.
    Didn't find any red hourglasses. Another chunk of time I'll never get back because of TB.

agedhorse and thehangingmist like this.
  20. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    No, you can't cover those slits. Whomever told you the ventilation was handled by the side vents is giving you bad information. For starters, which way does hot air go? I'm pretty sure sideways is not the correct answer. I doubt the designers added the production time and cost for the vents because they need to be there. I doubt it was esthetics.
    Somebody suggested a finer mesh to keep them out. That is your best plan. I have a travel trailer that has various vents on the outside. You can actually buy mesh covers to keep small bugs out.
    If you cover those vents, you will be sorry you did.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021