1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist Ad Your band management issues solved

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by WillOtter, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    I'm pretty sure Twinkletits was inspired by the odd image of Megadeth going to sessions with a marriage counselor (which really happened).

Attn mods: This character's name is pronounced 'Twink-LEHD-its' ;)

2. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I thought that was Metallica? They did a movie, I think ...

3. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    There's definitely times where "You get what you pay for" is an appropriate adage. On the other hand, I know artists that give their work away for WAAAAYYY too cheap and I know a photographer that charges high prices for average work knowing that the wealthy clientele she caters to believe in a correlation between price and quality.

And then there's musicians. How many jazz and classical geniuses get paid $100/night if they're lucky while auto-tuned hacks get thousands?

4. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig +1 :thumbsup:

lfmn16 likes this.
  5. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    I think Megadeth did it first, back in the early 90s. But yeah, the idea of bands with a tough image to maintain getting in touch with each other's feelings through a marriage counselor is always funny!

6. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    Again, I've had both experiences. What you said just happened to me with a hard drive, and now I'm buying the quality one I should've bought in the first place.

But when I was a kid in middle school, kids were super status conscious and everyone had to have whatever the hot sneakers were. So I clamored to my parents and got a pair of stylish and expensive Reeboks when they were 'hip'. I enjoyed them for about 16 hours and then the next day in gym class it was raining and we were playing indoor soccer with a big velvety ball. I kicked it hard, the ball went flying, and so did the sole of my crappy fancy Reebok. I felt really guilty about getting my parents to pay for such trash and never bought overpriced nonsense for the sake of it again.

Oddly likes this.
  7. lavmonga

lavmonga Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    Should read:

Is your band filled with issues?
    Do you feel progress is being delayed?
    Are there unnecessary reoccurring incidents?

Quit!

SactoBass likes this.
  8. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    That's my point. We know nothing about this kid except he/she has been in numerous bands, and is attempting to do something helpful for other musicians. Beyond that, we're all just throwing darts at the wall.

When Jason Becker was 20, he had already finished recording guitars for a David Lee Roth album, toured the world with a metal band playing alongside Marty Friedman, and released two solo albums.

When Rick Rubin was 20, he had already co-founded Def Jam Records with Russell Simmons.

When Mozart was 20, he had already done more stuff than I want to spend time typing out.

Is this kid Jason Becker, Rick Rubin, Mozart, or even our very own Bassmaticmatt, very likely no. He probably doesn't know as much as he thinks he does. I'm only in this discussion because I find it a bit disappointing that a bunch of old dudes are patting themselves on the back for laughing at a 20 year old kid who wants to turn what he thinks are acquired skills into doing something he obviously enjoys doing.

wintremute likes this.
  9. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Yeah, for sure! I hearken back to the days of yore when I was 20 (that was 1976). I thought I had everything figured out too. I knew everything! (insert eye roll here). That's why I said I view the ad as "adorable." It's just cute! :)

10. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Why?

I mean, just killing time here, but I think we'd agree that "Jason Becker, Rick Rubin, Mozart" all were exhibiting/became successful through some unusual talent. I mean, Rubin might be the closest analogy to this kid, but even so ...

He's gonna be the Rick Rubin of band counselors?

I find, "what he thinks" is the funny part here, "callow yout' " and all that, and we are laughing at ourselves and our past hubris about as much ...

Dammit, I like being a old dude (vs. the alternative), and patting me on the back and laughing at kids is part of it! :smug:

SactoBass and pwhalen like this.
  11. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    That's the point. He's offering what is essentially a professional counseling service. Anyone with any common sense who thinks they need this service would have to see some credentials before they hire anyone. Age isn't the issue, so much as he has offered zero to support his ability to do what he claims.

SactoBass likes this.
  12. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Most definitely! (in my case, anyway!) :D I was "ridiculously knowledgeable" when I was 20. Now that I'm 62, I look back and think "I didn't know jack **** back then!" (And I still don't!!!) ;)

LOL! Now when people ask me how I'm doing, I reply "well, I woke up this morning...that's a good thing....I like it when that happens!" :thumbsup:

Oddly and Deak like this.
  13. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Bada bing! Gln, you nailed it. Where I work, we hire consultants all the time for various civil engineering services. We look for, among other things, the education and credentials of their staff, years of experience in the related field of work, etc. Now, who's to say that the ad poster has or doesn't have a degree in psychology, sociology, or any other field pertinent to counseling others. It's not impossible to obtain a college degree by age 20. But even if the ad poster has a college degree, that is only a license to learn. I earned my college degree at age 23, and yet, at age 62, I'm still learning.

We can only go by the information that the ad poster provided, and the ad poster did not mention anything about a college degree or any other professional level credential. Just saying "I've been in bands" doesn't impress me.

Oddly and pwhalen like this.
  14. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Agreed, but ambitious and creative too. I wouldn't mind seeing where he winds up in a few years.

pwhalen and GBBSbassist like this.
  15. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    -Have you listen to our early demos on cassettes ?
    -What's a cassette ?
    -next!

16. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    If this were my kid and was serious and had researched enough to have (in his mind) a valid plan, I'd tell him to go for it. It would be a great life lesson.

So many of us elders often initially look at twenty as too young to amount to anything. Your list is just a beginning as you well know. Hendricks, Clapton, Stills etc. Now add the twenty somethings like Jobs, Gates etc. Reckless abandon of the youth is often what throws the butterfly effect into overdrive. I love watching the youth excel so much faster and farther and having to specialize due to so much knowledge and only a human lifetime to make use of it and pass it on.

How many of you old coots have seen a doc and thought to yourself, "You're too young to be a doctor, you must be an assistant" I'd bet a lot. Ain't life great?

wintremute likes this.
  17. Valid plan =/= hope for bites from Craigslist via poorly worded ad

I admire the intent, but there's a whole lotta holes in that ship

SactoBass likes this.
  18. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    LOL!

And thank you for not mentioning eight track cartridges! :bag:

MojoPenguin likes this.
  19. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Yeah, I think this thread just shows the age skew of talkbass. Of course a band of 50 and 60 year olds wouldn't hire a 20 year old kid to give them advice. I don't think this CL ad is for you.

My friend's son is in a band, and I go watch them play every now and then. There's a lot of other bands out there, some with kids still in high school (and sometimes I would guess middle school). You can usually tell which ones kinda have a clue and which ones don't. I could easily see a 20 year old adult go in and be able to help. I could also see a lot of the people posting in this thread going in and helping out younger bands. But you're not doing. This person is. So...why ridicule them?

GBBSbassist and Deak like this.
  20. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

...and drummers! :D