1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist Ad Your band management issues solved

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by WillOtter, Jun 5, 2018.

1. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Similar to the CL ad bashing thread from yesterday, what's the problem with the ad?

Shocking. That's word for word what half of the ad bashers in this thread would tell you.

You know you raised one half of the people that raised him, right?

2. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Not that it matters, but I couldn't tell from the ad whether this person is a male or a female, and yet most of the posts in this thread say "this guy" or "him". How do we know it's a "him?" Maybe it's a "her."

But in either case, I couldn't help laughing after reading the ad. I just can't help chuckling at the adorable idea of a youngster thinking they know more than those of us who have been around the block 300 times. But come to think of it, when I was 20, I had myself convinced that I knew everything and had all the answers. Now that I'm 62, the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know! :thumbsup:

Phud, Oddly, Engle and 3 others like this.
  3. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Why hire a consultant when you can get such great advice right here?

4. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    So if you know more, I'm guessing your band consultation business is doing better than his? Or do you just not want one?

A fine point. Also, you're more likely to respect that advice because it's been given by someone who has played Smoke on the Water to an empty room more than forty times in their more than forty years of bass playing experience!

br1qbat likes this.
  5. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    I do not have such a business. I'm a civil engineer.

And you are correct......I do not want one. But thanks for thinking of me anyway! I appreciate TB'ers looking out for other TB'ers! :thumbsup:

6. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Well, thank goodness for THAT!

So I wonder what this "consultant's" fee would be for saying to the over-emotional and out-of-control bandmembers:

"hey everyone.......take it easy.......have some dip."
    swiss-chard-tzatziki-horiz-b-1800.

7. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    At least the CL ad writer was smart enuff not to sign off as, ...

... Yoko Ono.

Oddly, Deak and SactoBass like this.
  8. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    The ageism is a-heavy in this thread :p My reaction is: on one hand, it seems silly to pay for advice; on another, it's kind of hilarious how much people pay life coaches and therapists for advice.

Deak, wintremute and SactoBass like this.
  9. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    I was actually half serious in my initial post. Maybe there is a market for this. I mean I would never have thought I'd be paying for a lot of things that I pay for now (car repair, home improvement stuff) because I was able to do them myself, but I'd rather spend my time doing other things and I hire those out. Wouldn't everyone here rather spend their time playing as opposed to trying to improve your bands situation? Sometimes, you just say the heck with it, let's call a guy.
    Yeah, his ad isn't exactly confidence inspiring but man if he gets to put in the work and make his monthly nut I know I'd rather have his day job than mine.

Personally I still wouldn't be calling him, though. It's too easy to just fire the drummer and move on.

10. TB wasn't around in 1984. Duh.

11. Morse_77

Morse_77

Nov 5, 2014
    Not everyone can afford to hire "performance-enhancing coach" Phil Towle.

"I DO NOT CHARGE A LOT!!!!!"

As a rule, you get what you pay for. If he`s real cheap he might be worth it.

:D:roflmao:

bkbirge likes this.
  12. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Good things are seldom cheap and cheap things are seldom good.

SactoBass and TheBear like this.
  13. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Good point, Kragnorak! Hey...there are some people who shell out $20,000 just to become a member of a golf country club. I'm not a golfer, but I guess if we earn the money, we get to decide how we spend it on ourselves. I shelled out $23,500 for a brand new BMW motorcycle. I'm sure some folks would shake their heads over that. Different strokes! :thumbsup:

Kragnorak likes this.
  14. SactoBass

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Sig worthy! :thumbsup:

lfmn16 likes this.
  15. I think you should take him up on his services and let us know how it goes. Personally, I'm not taking band advice from a 20 year old, but your mileage may vary. Of course, age is the least of the reasons this concept is likely to fail. First, you need an entire band that a) agrees they have a problem, b) and agrees on what that problem is, c) agrees to allow a stranger to draft solutions, and d) is willing to pay you for it.

That's before you deal with the logistics of actually observing the group dynamic, determining the actual issues, creating an action plan, and then selling the band on both your conclusions and next steps.

The idea might work if a label (or similar entity in a position of authority) made it a requirement of continued association or something, but otherwise there's little to no shot. How many places have you worked where the employees were glad that consultants were brought in (and would have approved the expense)?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    instrumentalist and SactoBass like this.
  16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Thanks. In the bad old days I used to be in sales. The other good one was, better to spend more than you planned than less than you should. I'm too poor to buy cheap things, I can't afford to buy the cheap one AND the one I should have bought in the first place when the cheap one doesn't work. My favorite, although not really related is, "When all else fails, do it right."

Oddly and SactoBass like this.
  17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    What this person is proposing is akin to a family therapist or conflict resolution professional. The people who do that sort of thing are trained for a few years with internships in real world situations. They know something about how to deal with difficult personalities and dysfunctional relationships. A trained therapist might take months to straighten out a broken family and it doesn't always work. The person with the ad has been in few dysfunctonal bands and thinks he has it figured out.

Engle and SactoBass like this.
  18. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Yeah dude, me too! Why is it that you know sooo much when you're young, but then have to start learning and listening to others as you get older? Brains sure have a messed up way of doing things.

But for real, 20 years old. So he's been in "numerous" bands. Let's say he joined his first band at sometime around 15/16. That's not very reasurring in any sense of the word. That's like getting parental advise from people without kids.

SactoBass likes this.
  19. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    Age and experience don't have to go hand in hand. When I was 20 I had a decade of playing experience and about 4 years of gigging experience.

20. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    Luciferiad likes this.