1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Craigslist Ad Your band management issues solved

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by WillOtter, Jun 5, 2018.

1. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I guess it's just far simpler and more comfortable to just sit back and laugh at people any time they exhibit any creativity.

I like how some of these bozos mock someone who has an idea to help bands get better, but also complain in other threads that live music is dying because bands are bad.

2. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Help? Help?

He's looking to get paid.

And kinda funny (to the codger-contigent [my next band name]) in how he's selling his services.

And if one of my kids (who are not in bands, the ungrateful spawn) paid him more than, say, US$20 and didn't see his schtick, well ...

... aiighty, then.

SactoBass likes this.

3. Maybe he's doing it for .....................................THE EXPOSURE! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

4. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Well, you assume it's a schtick, I assume he could actually help a young band. There's a huge difference right there.

A 20 year old looking to make some extra cash by doing a job they can handle. Crazy.

redwingxix likes this.
  5. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Yep.

6. Dear Craigslist Advertiser, you are my last hope, please will you help my band? We aren't getting any gigs cos we fired the drummer for smelling bad and we only learned three songs all the way so far anyway so it was best we parted before we wasted another 6 months with that smelly prick. Anyway, Jimmy plays lead and he is trying to get into Julie's hotpockets when nobody is looking cos he' s so hot on guitar and man does he play loud, we sure will get sum big gigs when everyone gets to hear him shred. Then we will have sum money to pay you but only if you can get Jimmy to keep out of Julie's hotpockets cos she doesn't like that and might fire Jimmy and then I would probably quit too. She doesn't know any nice smelling drummers but, so you might have to find one for us before we can pay you. Win win ay!

SactoBass likes this.
  7. I like how easily people are throwing around terms like ridicule and mock in this thread. Maybe I'm reading different responses, because while I see some good natured fun being made of the idea (not the writer of the ad, mind you), the only personal shots I see being fired are by the Great Defenders of bad ideas, because god forbid someone point out that a half-baked idea is only half baked.

Also, you literally have zero idea what anyone in this thread is doing to help younger bands. Don't assume your own inaction in that area extends to others on this board.

wintremute and SactoBass like this.
  8. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    If he could fix the guitarists attitude in my old band, it might be worth it. But I would think after about ten minutes together he would figure out that he might have bitten off more than he can chew, lol.

9. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    LOL!!! :D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    He's been exposed, but not in a positive way!

Renaissance likes this.
  11. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Well stated PW! :thumbsup:

Unless I missed it, I didn't see any mocking or ridiculing the author of the ad anywhere in this thread. I'm seeing good natured fun.....the heart and soul of Talkbass. In one of my posts, I said I viewed the ad as adorable and cute. It is! I say bless his (or her) heart for offering to help others, even though it's just so dang freakin cute! ;)

12. Unless he's giving out banana stickers, I'm not interested.

pwhalen likes this.
    Luciferiad likes this.
  14. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    I have a lot of sympathy for this point of view. Let's all get real here. The music industry is in shambles, so many fewer people can become part of a band's organization and live the good life like Led Zep's road manager or Sleazy P. Martini or all of Metallica's various lawyers and therapists. So this kid is looking to work with a few upstart bands and get a few bucks from each because you need a large stable these days to make any more than money to pay half your phone bill.

My prediction is that the Jobacolypse will happen in perhaps another 20 years, maybe a little later. At that point, our society's way of doing business will have failed because there will be even more humans coming of age and tons of unskilled labor and service jobs will be replaced by robots and machines. All of a sudden being a musician will become a viable career path again because it's one of those things that (some) people would rather see performed by people than by machines. When the unemployment rate hits 50%, nobody's going to be laughing at kids like this because they will be trying to find creative ways to make scratch while many of their peers that aren't good enough at eSports sit home and collect their Universal Basic Income.