Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crazy downstairs neighbor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Govier966, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Govier966

Govier966

Apr 28, 2009
    so I have a 96 year old downstairs neighbor who constantly bangs her broom on the ceiling and complains about my family. Were really not that loud, we walk around bear foot and we have cork under our wood floors so sound shouldn't be an issue. But it is, she bangs even when the family laughs at the dinner table. I will be going off to college next year and I have an opportunity to get a vintage ampeg combo. I really need a combo and I want to be able to use it at home but how can I prevent it from vibrating through the floor and downstairs.

2. In a nutshell, you can't.

Low frequencies are omni-directional, and are not stopped by walls, floors, etc.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. capnsandwich

capnsandwich Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Maybe stick it on a table so that it's not directly touching the floor and then stick some blankets underneath it but yeah, it's gonna be tough.

5. +1. The End!!!

6. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Get one with a headphone jack. That's the only way to go in an upstairs apartment..

7. 96!? She wont last too much longer bro. Hang in there. ;)

Jk.

8. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    How much longer do you really expect her to live? Not that I or you should hope she passes away, but at 96, how much longer is she really going to be able to bang on the ceiling. I'd find a combo that you like, and enjoy it. Every time you come home from school could be the time that you find out that she's been shipped off to the nursing home. No more problem. You are young, she is not. Let time do its inevitable thing.

9. K-Punk

K-Punk

Feb 27, 2007
    Aurora Borealis
  10. Its the only reasonable explanation.

11. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
  12. good advice given re give it time and there's no way you'll be able to address bass volume to her satisfaction.

If you've the opportunity to snag the vintage Ampeg combo by all means do so and go for a headphone practice arrangement when you're in the apartment.

Don't pass up the opportunity to snag the combo as well as practice because of her, both the situation and opportunity are transitory, think long term ;)

13. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    No possible way.

Friend of mine lives in a tiny $2K/month apartment in Silicon Valley and can hear the guy in the apartment above her scratch. I've been there and I swear I can tell whether he's barefoot or wearing socks; there must be absolutely no sound proofing whatsoever in those apartments. Your building must be similar.

Don't even bring it home.

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That won't make any difference. OP, use headphones.

15. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    Two interesting facts. The average female child born today can expect to live to age 100. The beginning of the 20th century, that number was 50. Male children aren't expected to make it that long. The women wear 'em down too fast.

And that's the *average*. Insurance companies now quote illustrations figured to age 120. All of 'em.

16. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Yonder
    If you can't even laugh at the table, you'll never play music there without her banging on the ceiling. I went through that with a friend of mine. We used to rehearse, as quietly as possible, in his living room and his downstairs neighbor would bang on the ceiling, but in this case, ONLY during live music. She just hated it when we played live. I remember playing there with another of our friends, and we were turned down so far, we could seriously barely hear ourselves. After that we said to hell with it and did whatever we wanted to. Eventually she moved out. Apparently the building's super had to redo the ceiling, because it was full of broomstick dents.
    If anyone should be complaining, it should be you, not that I believe it would work.
    I say get the combo and to hell with it.

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There's a reason why most men die before their wives: they want to.

18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Two words: tap shoes.

19. capnsandwich

capnsandwich Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    That's wh I said what I said at the end of my post, which you didn't quote. Just trying to shed some hope.

Also, the lady in question is 96. She's old, grumpy, and controlling your lives. Live your life how you want to because her life is a lot shorter than yours. Yeah, headphones are good to play quietly but that lady shouldn't control your decision in what you buy.

20. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    It's amazing that anyone her age can still hear. :cool:

21. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I vote for a full SVT rig laid flat on the floor.

And a Rat pedal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.