Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Creating a dummy impedance load

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 24stringbass, Jul 24, 2005.

1. 24stringbass

24stringbass

Jul 24, 2005
    I just bought a new amp head, rated at 300 watts at 4 ohms, and a new 4-10 cab, rated at 800 watts at 8 0hms. Is there a way to plug some kind of dummy impedance load into one of the amp's speaker outs, so I can pump the full 300 watts to the cab?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Nope
    You will actually end up with less watts then if you don't do that.
    A useless resistor will only soak up half the watts. You will be left with 150W instead of 185W or whatever it is now.

3. 24stringbass

24stringbass

Jul 24, 2005
    Appreciated. Actually, the company I got the cab from accidentally sent an additional one as well, so I guess I could just use them both w/ the head (parallel, of course?) and get full power.

4. Jazzin'

You got a free second 8ohm cab?

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, that's what the post said, so I would imagine so.

6. Jazzin'

That's pretty awsome, espeically since it both solves you problem and gives you a free 410cab. But I would be honest in that situation, it's alot of money you just got there by accident.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    It doesn't exist without pics on TB anyway :p. But really, I'd tell them, cos you most likely have someone elses cab now...

-Ray