1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

*cries*

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TeeMartin, Dec 9, 2006.

1. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    I'm reading reviews of StingRay 5s on Musicians Friend and this jumped out at me:

Has to be joking, but still

2. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    must be a joke, although i do know some extremely spoiled young(and not so talented) musicians. the insger in my band was givena 6 thousand dollar custom shop taylor acoustic guitar for a graduation present. damn.

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    It sure made me LMAO. It was a review or something? I wish I had written that.

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh sorry, you said it was a review. I wonder what would motivate somebody to do this?

5. thats kind of funny, it has to be a joke

6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    sounds like that one guy that was on TB before with like 30 Carvins, family friends with Flea, and more.

7. CoDBassPlayer

CoDBassPlayer

Oct 30, 2006
    Aksarben
    Surely, you jest right?

I mean seriously, the fret buzz was probably because he sucked at it like most guitarists do when they first pick up a bass.

And if anybody actually paid attention to the songs in School of Rock he just has her play the G for that one beginning song, the rest she actually plays. In the Battle of the Bands song it's not that hard, but you couldn't play it just picking up a bass, it'd require real talent. Same at the end when they play Long way to the Top.

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Not to be O/T, but you have to admit, "School of Rock" is a pretty cool movie. That actor is, or would be a really great musican, IMHO.

9. CoDBassPlayer

CoDBassPlayer

Oct 30, 2006
    Aksarben
    Definately, I think she actually plays bass in real life. What if she was a member here? :eek:

It was on TBS last weekend and everyone at school watched it but me, btu since I know every word everyone thought I watched it. It was hilarious, we were all mimicking JB's soloes in class and we all got yelled at.

10. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    My little brother's friend's first bass, before he even knew how to play Brain Stew, was a frickin' Warwick Vampyre NT 5-String.

11. steve21

steve21 Banned

Wow... ain't that like... 3500?

Nothing against a parent treating their kids... but... 3.5k the first time out?

Dude, if he ever decides to sell for like... 300 bucks... or trade for a white jazz bass... tell him to give me a call! :p

12. lame

13. Geez, my first bass was an Epiphone Accu-Bass with yellow sunburst on black that I got in a starter's kit for about $300 with a crappy 15w amp, and I was glad to have it. Paid for it myself.

14. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    my first was a cort action bass... through my 10 watt guitar amp which came with my first electric guitar (squier affinity pack)

hah. How I've moved on...

15. my first and only bass is a $150 squire p-bass and a 30 watt brandX amp (but i just purchased a new amp). My parents bought me it instead of an Ibanez i had wante because they didn't think id still with it long.

16. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Hahahha, man, that better be a joke! But im sure there are spoiled kids like that. And i mean, sure its okay for parents to give them stuff aslong they dont get that arrogant attitude:p I had a squier p bass too along with a tiny 15w Ibanez amp:) I still have my squier tho:p

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    The more I read it, the more it sounds like a joke. Nobody would drop that many brand names in a normal post unless they either WANTED to come off as a-holes, but this doesn't sound like he's trying to be one, or were joking.

18. CalLum

CalLum

Dec 7, 2006
    would a bass even work in a guitar amp? Also how do you know if the guitar/ amp is broken :S

still amusing anyways

19. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Quote:
    May 4, 2005 - I am eleven years old, and I had been playing guitar for about a month when I decided to play bass too. I have a Gibson Les Paul, SG, and a Jackson USA Custom guitar. When this bass came in the mail (a surprise from my parents) I took it out of the box, but it made a buzzing sound in my Marshall Guitar amp, so I sent it back. The second one I got didn't buzz, and I have the coolest bass in town. My next door neighbor happens play bass for over 30 years, and he is playing a Shector or something cheap like that. I showed him mine, and he almost got tears in his eyes. All I can play now is "Brain Stew" by Green Day, but I don't think I'll need lessons, because most bass players just play the same string over and over again the whole song, like on School of Rock (That movie is even greater now that i'm a musician). Look for me in a few years, because I will surely be in a big-time band.

Sounds like something an 11 year old would say. I might have said it if I were an 11 year old bass player. I wouldn't really be able to fully appreciate the intricacies of playing bass.

Also, it must be nice to have rich folks. Hope he's not a spoiled 12 year old now (as the review was dated over a yeard ago) else he should be in swirly heaven.

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It will work if you are careful about the volume. When I bought my first bass I used a Fender Twin Reverb for years as a practice amp. Sounded fine at apartment volume.

I'm not sure. He could be very very brand conscious. The "tears in his eyes" is a bit over the top. But then how would you feel if a spoiled 11 year old who could barely play showed up with a brand new Musicman that you can't afford?