Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Crown GLM-200 Lavalier Mic...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jar240, Oct 4, 2005.

1. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

Has anyone tried this mic with URB? I haven't found very much info on it at all on the 'Net.

Chris

2. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I am not sure the model number, but I have a Crown GLM (great little mic..). The lavalier may be the omni version of it. An omni pattern may be trouble if you are around high volumes.

I use the GLM along with a K&K Bassmax into a 2-channel Rane AP-13 preamp (with phantom power for the mic).

It is primarily a mic designed to be mounted in a guitar, but I have it mounted on the bridge aimed at the F-hole.

The Rane preamp allows me to blend it with the PU... I usually add a bit of the mic to the house send with the PU exclusively in my mix.

I like it because it is tiny. There are other mics that will probably have more extended frequency response. I have an AT Pro-37 that is also small... I may try that one next.

3. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

The GLM-100 is omni, and the GLM-200 is cardioid, according to my Googling so far.

Have you used an ATM-35? It's about the same price.

Could you post or send a pic of how you mounted it to your bridge?

Thanks,
    Chris

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    When I was picking out a mic, I tried a bunch of small clip ons. None had the response of a larger diaphragm condenser. Now this was before the AMT mics. And I am currently having to rethink how I attach the sucker to the bass...

5. I haven't tried the GLM200 on bass, but have used it in several other applications and have found it to be a 'great little mic'. It worked particularly well on piano, so I can't see any reason it wouldn't be just as good on bass. They're very robust, so you can safely experiment with various mounting methods.