1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Crown GLM-200 Lavalier Mic...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jar240, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Has anyone tried this mic with URB? I haven't found very much info on it at all on the 'Net.

Chris

2. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I am not sure the model number, but I have a Crown GLM (great little mic..). The lavalier may be the omni version of it. An omni pattern may be trouble if you are around high volumes.

I use the GLM along with a K&K Bassmax into a 2-channel Rane AP-13 preamp (with phantom power for the mic).

It is primarily a mic designed to be mounted in a guitar, but I have it mounted on the bridge aimed at the F-hole.

The Rane preamp allows me to blend it with the PU... I usually add a bit of the mic to the house send with the PU exclusively in my mix.

I like it because it is tiny. There are other mics that will probably have more extended frequency response. I have an AT Pro-37 that is also small... I may try that one next.

3. The GLM-100 is omni, and the GLM-200 is cardioid, according to my Googling so far.

Have you used an ATM-35? It's about the same price.

Could you post or send a pic of how you mounted it to your bridge?

Thanks,
    Chris

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    When I was picking out a mic, I tried a bunch of small clip ons. None had the response of a larger diaphragm condenser. Now this was before the AMT mics. And I am currently having to rethink how I attach the sucker to the bass...

5. I haven't tried the GLM200 on bass, but have used it in several other applications and have found it to be a 'great little mic'. It worked particularly well on piano, so I can't see any reason it wouldn't be just as good on bass. They're very robust, so you can safely experiment with various mounting methods.