1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Crummy new interface on eBay!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jeff62, Feb 22, 2008.

1. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    They've launched a new (they probably believe, improved) interface. No more standalone bass category under guitars - now you have to drill down. No more seaching for Jazz basses -- that category doesn't exist. No more searching for specific characteristics in a category -- free form search is not provided any longer... you have to search based on the criteria they provide you.

Wow.... this really sucks. I may be done visiting eBay for browsing.

2. Same here. So thank the gods they did it, lemme tell you...

3. sal4bass

sal4bass

Feb 3, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I can still get a bass subcategory at this link: http://instruments.ebay.com Try it and see if it works for you.

I've found that once in a great while when I try to search I get only very general page options on eBay, but usually an hour later the normal options are back in service.

4. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    eBay has done more in the past month to destroy themselves then ever. Their new search criteria is beyond any reasonable form of intelligence. The huge seller fee increases couple with the oppressive feedback changes are making original 5 digit feedback power sellers walk away from the site. It is completely insane what they are doing....If all you do is buy on eBay be glad you are spared a lot of what they have done recently. But be warned...prices on about to go up everywhere there, Paypal is being dropped by more and more sellers and going back to money order only, sellers will be fewer and the chinese market junk items will be everywhere even worse now....

5. K-T

K-T

May 25, 2007
    tasmania, australia
    :scowl:that sucks!!! :mad: :( :rollno:

6. Poo! I hated the beta interface and luckily on the uk site I can still use the old ebay style. For now :/

I've always hate the search function though, makes it impossible to find some stuff that you KNOW is there (ie it doesn't search ebay shops). >_<

7. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    +1000!

8. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Generally, I hate eBay's latest "improvement", but I get used to them. All my searches saved in Favorites still work.

My biggest problem with ebay are sellers that don't leave feedback until the buyer does. When I pay promptly, I've fufilled my half of the bargain, and I should get feedback then, not after the seller is sure I won't complain.

Paypal fees are not bad if the payments are funded by bank accounts.

9. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Nope... getting a bass sub-category is not the problem. Once you're there you can't even search for Jazz basses. You're not even allowed to do a free-form search (e.g. search for 'CIJ') once you're in the category you want to be in.

10. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Testify!

I don't bother with feedback for those folks. I've found that about one third will post positive after a month or so.

11. Erm, maybe im missing what your getting at, but i browsed to Music instruments, then guitars, then bass, then fender, then Jazz. Did a search for CIJ.

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1&fgtp=

12. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Yes, they're new design is terrible. It's really hard to find the bass category now without having to click a million times to get to it.

They're also working on a new search method that is a slight improvement over the old one. It'll bring up worldwide searches if you want, rather than having to search locally and then click a few times to get all the available auctions. Plus you can easily change keywords for a search by using little boxes on top of the results page, rather than having to do a whole new search for a different bass manufacturer or model.

13. jiminy

jiminy

Sep 29, 2007
    Tulsa
    I was getting the new search feature, then at some point after several searches, it asked me if I wanted to opt out of it, and I said yes. Then I got the old search results setup, and even the category tree from the Ebay home page is back like it used to be. Good thing, I was getting wacky results, e.g. I have been interested in vintage computers lately. So I would type "Amiga" in the search bar and the new search would give me results for Xbox 360's :confused:

Another stupid move is they are taking the ability to leave negative feedback away from sellers.

14. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    If you favorite the bass category you bypass all that mess. One click and you are there.

15. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I have no idea how you're searching for Jazz. It's not a search option in my pop-up once I get to the bass sub-category. I suspect you somehow have the old eBay interface.

16. Quite possibly. Wierd :S

I dont even think it would be in my temp files as i rarely go on ebay.com. Maybe because im accessing it from the UK?

Either way, it worked in both doing a search, then going through the categories to bring back more accurate results, and it worked through the "Buy" browser bit

17. Hughsie

Hughsie

Nov 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    As a seller I always wait for buyer feedback before leaving feedback myself. The transaction isn't over until the buyer has acknowledged receipt and stated one way or another whether they're satisfied (as a buyer I leave feedback straight away).

18. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Ebay is going down quick. John C. Dvorak says so!

19. I'm not following here - I can still get to Home> Buy> Musical Instruments> Guitar> Bass> Fender with a few clicks, then under

Narrow Your Results

Jazz(301)
    Precision(259)

20. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    If you add the ebay bass page to your browsers favorite places then it is one click regardless of what they have done.