1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom 6er poll!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allenhumble, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Elrick

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. F-bass

31 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. Stambuagh

18 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. Jerzy Drozd

20 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. Other

37 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I have said this befor, but I plan on ordering a new bass after the first of the year and I am having a hard time on making my mind up. There are so many qualified buileders that are making incredible instruments. I have narrowed my list down to4. 2 of which I have played. 1 I plan on playing soon. And 1 that I wont have the opportunity to play prior to ordering. I know that alot of TBrs are dedicated to thier builders and I will probably get alot of biased opinions which is welcome. I want to know why you are so dedicated. I would also like to hear from some TBrs that may have A/Bed some of the basses on my list. Thanks in advance.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    What are you looking for in a bass? All of these instruments look fantastic, but all sound very different from each other.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I didn't wait to find out what you wanted in a 6. I voted F-Bass. They're kickin' basses and it would definitely be my second choice if I were in the market.

4. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Zon.:D

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Roscoe!:p

6. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    My completely biased vote is for Jerzy Drozd. They're the most versatile basses ever - They mesh well in any style. I can get a fat funk tone and then with a few knob adjustments have a driving metal tone.

7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    F-Bass or Ken Smith.

You should add Ken Smith to the List.

8. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    ive loved everything ive played by stambaugh and f-bass. im kind og jonesing for a roscoe century 6 with nordies and a demeter though:p

9. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa
  10. I tried F-Bass (Alain Caron), MTD, Roscoe, Fodera, and Ken Smith 6-strings, (I'd like to have tried a Bee too), and I went with a Jerzy Drozd Legend. For my tastes, I thought it had the best sustain, tone, and playability of the bunch. It certainly has a lot more low-end punch and weight than any of the three excellent F-Basses (two fretted, one fretless) I've owned.

The Jerzy is very versatile, expressive, and powerful sounding, and it has the most comfortable, ergonomic neck I've ever played.

Trio01sm.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Lots of fine choices, really, but if I had to make one recommendation, it'd be for a bass from Pete Skjold.

Tom.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Lots of fine choices, really, but if I had to make one recommendation, it'd be for a bass from Fred Bolton @ www.beebasses.com

13. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Vote for Roscoe here!

14. If money is no object... I say do the Drozd.

I personally voted for Stambaugh.

As a current owner, Chris' basses are top notch AND EXTREMELY well priced.

Just my $.02

15. bryanjnkns

bryanjnkns

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulsa

I know this is a little off topic but, what is the string spacing for the bridge and nut on that Jerzy?

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's obvious what my choice would be, but what's to my liking may not be to yours. Different basses do things better and worse than other basses- anyone who claims otherwise is fooling themselves.

Get very specific as to what you like, and not just in tone. Body shape and the kind of playability a bass has plays a major role- I've sold many basses that sounded great but because they didn't feel as great as another kind of bass, they had to go. Do you like sharp edges or rounded edges? Heavy weight or light? Bolt-on or neck through? Do you need super-accessible high frets? Do you prefer a certain kind of pickup placement? How long are you willing to wait for your custom to get finished? Is resaleability an important factor to you? Etc., etc.

17. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
  18. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    You don't see a whole lot about them, but I would go for a Pedulla Hexabuzz.

Joe

19. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Dingwall makes 6-string basses...

That being said, out of the basses you listed I have only played F-bass and Elrick. I preferred the F-bass, for reasons that are hard to describe. You really have to be nitpicky at this level, but the F-bass seemed like every note was clearer and more defined from low B to 24th fret on the G string. I vote F-bass.