Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom bass possible?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Ok, I got this idea thats not fully worked out. I figure it would take me a few years to pull off, but I need a price guestamate, but before the guestamate, I would like to know if it is even possible.

I would have a MM sterling neck with maple fretboard. I would have a most likely custom body (because I dont think my idea will fit in a regular body).

I would have a music man sterling pickup (with phantom coil). It would be in its normal position.

I would have a Seymour duncan quarter pounder pickup (and I dont know if this is possible) a matching jazz pickup smack dab inbetween the 2 split P's.

I would also have a peizo bridge.

(you guys keeping up? if so how well is your picture drawn by now :D ;) )

i would have seperate volumes for each the Musicman pup, the p bass pups, and the jazz pups, with the p and jazz having the s-1 switching. I would then have a main volume.

Underneath I would haev an active/passive switch. Active runs it through the music man preamp and passive sends the signal through the tone (meaning I would also have a tone nob)

I would have a peizo blend nob (all the way down is all magnetic, all the way up is all peizo, in between is a blend).

I would have the 3 way selector switch for the MM pickup as in a sterling and MM stingray 5.

then Musicman sterling preamp of corse, as I stated before.

Would it be possible to wire that? Would it fit in a body of a bass? Not really worried about weight as long as it dont break my back. Im young enough to stand up with a bass slung around me for an hour or 2 no problem.

Hit up ideas or help wiring or other ideas for it. I will talk to a Luthier tomorrow who will help me if it is humanly possible.

Hit it up.....

2. It can be done, but I think that the controls would be too complicated to be practically useful. There's 8 knobs and 3 switches. It'll fit in a body, so long as the cavity is large enough.

3. wow, thats up there with the bootsy space bass. you know, instead of popping in all those pickups, you could probably get more/less the same tone wise with a G&L L-2000. 2 humbuckers, 3 way selection, series/parallel(basically the s-1), active/passive. 3 knobs, 3 switches, pretty much the same you're asking for, at what will most likely be a MUCH cheaper price. and they have a neck thats ALMOST the same as a sterlings, 1 in. difference. not too shabby for ~1200 bucks.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well hell, if you're going to put all of those pickups in the body you might as well add one at the headstock like a Sustainiac .

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow. All I hav to say is wow.

Jaco only needed two pickups :)

6. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Jamerson only needed one :rolleyes:

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Touche :p

8. Well, many of those double-bass playin' loonies don't need ANY pickups. :eek:

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  10. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    and three knobs ;)

11. He said many, not all.

I know a couple that don't around here. It's a dying art form....

12. I think you guys are missing the whole thing here. This could PERFECTLY replicate a p, a j, and a MM.

13. A G&L could do pretty much the same thing. As well as a variax bass. Not to mention all the other stuff Line 6 comes out. Besides. if you were to go and do this, perhaps a few years down the line you'll realize you didn't need that much and it may just turn out to be another waste of money.

Edit: Also, NOTHING and i mean NOTHING will ever "perfectly" replicate a p, a j, or a MM except for the real thing.

14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Don't forget to add MIDI.

Before I dropped the huge bucks on that bass, I'd try out a Line 6 Variax. It may give you what you want for a lot less.

15. I disagree that it could do that. The pickup locations will not be exactly the same from what you've described. Wouldn't this be more like some hybrid?

16. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    No offense, but would it not be easier to get a Line6 Variax Bass? That would give you all that you mentioned, except a true passive mode.....

17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    +1

Its the pickup location what creates the tone.

On the other hand, you would have a lot of magnetic pull due to the ammount of pickups wich will influence the tone.

And I also say... nothing sounds like the real thing.
    You can "aproach" the sound. But its never the same.

18. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    crazybassist601,

Honestly, as someone who has been there and spent WAY too many thousands of dollars experimenting with ideas like this, take my advice:

Get a V-Bass setup. Really.

You'll get more good useable tones from that than the scenario you're talking about. Those multi-pickup idea never seem to work as good as you think they're going to. There's a reason why they're not really made, and certainly not in any significant quantity.

Just my .02

19. In response to the topic title... I hope not.

20. Yes, check out the V-Bass setup and Variax bass. Not only will the pickup positions be different, the construction will not be exactly like a J, P, or SR. Like others have said, you may get close, but IMO, it would be extremely impracticle. Another suggestion, now keep in mind I haven't played one amplified, but others own them, would be a Bongo with the Piezo bridge. Dont like the looks? Play one first. You can't knock something till you've tried it.