1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    Im sure this has been talked about but.... who makes good pedalboards at reasonable prices? Or is it you pay for what you get? I want something that if i had to check it on a plane or something i could. Im also looking for something that i could put a power strip underneath and detach the pedalboard from the case. Any Suggestions????

2. I don't know of any companies that do custom boards like what your describing. What A LOT of guys on here have done is go to home depot and make their own. It will cost you way less money and time building it yourself. It doesn't take much to build one either. Especially since Home Depot can cut wood to the size you want. After that it's just nails and carpet/velcro.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Inactive

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Try Stompin' Ground. I like NYC Pedal Boards personally, but I don't know if they can make anything ATA flight approved.

And no- anything approved for a plane is not cheap.

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Inactive

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    That won't work for a flight approved case.

5. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    My SKB-PS-45 Profesional Pedalboard has a filtered power strip (with it's own 15 Amp breaker), spaced for 3 Wall-Warts and will also power up 8 9v outputs with it's own filtered internal 9V DC power supply. That means I can run 11 pedals and a volume pedal. (Being I play bass, I'll never have to worry about filling it up.)

It will run stereo pedals and easily feed 2 amps. The built-in effects loop can be tapped into for a seperate loop or run the D/I or both. It also has extra taps to tap into on it on both channels. (I run it in Mono, so I have double ins and outs on it to play with.)

The case has a reinforced locking top that's so tough, you can literally JUMP on it and you can't hurt it. The power cord on it must be about 12 feet long and is thicker than most drop cords I've seen.

Because it's grounded and shielded already, when I run it off the front outlet of my Furman Power conditioner in my rack, everything I have is all in phase with each other and I don't usually ever have to worry about hum coming thru the line. The only time I did, it was a bad wire and there was a lot of neon signs in the bar. I changed the 1 pedal cable and the hum was gone. (my guitarist however was going NUTZ, dealing with the noise from his set-up.)

SKB gives this unit a lifetime guarantee on it. It's not just a pedalboard; it's self contained case for all your effects. (I think it's also water-proof as well, but I'll have to check the Specs on mine.)

I got mine at a deal and it was still about $200, so they're NOT cheap. But if you add the cost of a powerstrip and line conditioner, breaker, the DC power supply, 9V pedal cables and 3" wide velcro roll into it, it really isn't that bad of a deal. YMMV.......

6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    New to this forum, aren't you? ;)

7. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    I guess i don't care if it's actually ATA. I looked at NYCpedalboards and they look great but they don't recommend taking their boards on the plane.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For an "ultimate" ATA pedalboard, custom-make your own board and carry it in a Pelican case. I have toured with Pelican cases, and they are ultra rugged.

10. Cory

Cory Supporting Member

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    I've got two pedal boards and flight cases made by TourMaster Cases. www.tmcases.com They are very well built cases I have one of the larger models as well as one of the smaller models. I've flown with the smaller one and taken it on board without any problems. Check their website for some details and pics. Very affordable and well made.

11. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    That's an excellent case. I bought the standard size (although I wish I would have bought a bigger board size) and it's top notch.

12. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA